Sign in to follow this  
abh_jc_03

how to install photoscenery

I downloaded the blueskyscenery and I am trying to figure out how to install them into fsx.  I copied the folders into the scenery folder and went into the scenery library.  I clicked on add area but when I click on the folder pertaining to the scenery it is blank.  I have windows 7 and I heard about the clicking on a blank area but that did nothing either.  Also I searched and found nothing but on blueskyscenery it has the FSX scenery d/l as well as a separate airports download.  Do I need the airports download?  Some areas I have add on airports so I don't know if I need the additional or not.  Areas that I don't have an add on airports would it be good to download the airports from blueskyscenery?

Josh Scholl

I copied the folders into the scenery folder and went into the scenery library.

Which folder(s)?

Generally it's pretty easy, but I like to keep files structured and folders named in a manner that reminds me as to what they do. So I might make a new folder of say; \FSX\Addon Scenery\BlueSky\scenery, then copy the BGL files into that folder. Activate the new folder within the Scenery Library and it *should* show inside the game.

Try to create a folder called "Texture" to whatever folder you placed the "Scenery" folder into.

After that open that folder in FSX scenery library, select "Scenery" and press okay. 

After you have done that go to scroll down menu (the one you can navigate back from that area, and click some white part around it.

It should add the scenery to the library... After that you can delete the empty texture folder. 

For some reason placing empty Texture folder makes adding a scenery easier to me with this win 7 bug. 

I got that white part click thing working under W7 without adding the empty texture folder.

But it may be a good idea to separate the different BlueSky sceneries by using a number of BlueSky sub-folders in the AddonScenery folder. They, of course, have to be activated in the scenery library one by one. But they can be deactivated separately later on without deactivating the complete BlueSky installation.

I have mine installed by state since he has done so many. I simply make a folder called "BSSTATENAME" then a SCENERY folder inside that and then unzip the BGL's into that.

Some of the scenery does have an 'Airport' file that should be installed AFTER you install the scenery. Most are already included but some do need that file if its there, if you want a bit more autogen at the airports.

I also install them all to an external ESata drive since they are rather space consuming files and ESate is fast enough that it doesnt affect performance.

Jay

I have never had to modify the cfg gor BS scenery, I know that Megascenry has some suggestions but to be honest, I installed MS Florida on another machine the other day and unless I can find a way to make it look a heck of a lot better than it does now, its going to be removed.

BS scenery I just install and fly andit works perfectly

Jay

I have never had to modify the cfg gor BS scenery, I know that Megascenry has some suggestions but to be honest, I installed MS Florida on another machine the other day and unless I can find a way to make it look a heck of a lot better than it does now, its going to be removed.

BS scenery I just install and fly andit works perfectly

BSS better than MS? Thanks!!

You just made me go for BSS - still a few GBs free on my HD ...

There are suggestions in the Photoscenery Forum here at AVSIM too.  I encourage all who own photoscenery to visit the Photoscenery Forum (mainly because I have some unsolved mysteries posted there.... :lol: ).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10