Sign in to follow this  
BilboBaggins

Heads-up on Nvidia 5/23/13 WHQL Driver

Just a quick heads up to say that for the first time in my life, updating to latest Nvidia software today led to crashes of my otherwise rock-solid Win8 64-bit FSX setup.

Have reverted back to 3.14.22 and will stay there. I usually trust Nvidia and blame myself, but this time there was - at least on my system - direct cause and effect.

Everything is back to running fine on 3.14.22.

For all I know all I needed to do was turn car traffic down just one percentage point, but I've got my FSX House of Cards set up optimally for me at this point, so I'm going to skip anything that hints of blowing it over, at least until I get bored somewhere down the line. :)

"House of cards".

How true. :)

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I upgraded to the latest WHQL yesterday and so far no problems.  Very stable.  Have only run FSX for a couple of hours so far though.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

My crash occurred when running the vrsimulations TacPack/Superbug. Might be something as simple as a memory issue. Once I've switched off my Master Warning Horn, I'll maybe try again. Otoh if it works.... don't fix it! :)

Don't be afraid to experiment with Nvidia drivers; but absolutely ensure that you can easily revert to an older one if you need to.

The drivers seem very dependent on which operating system, video card and even the flight simulator you are using.

As an example; for my system the best Nvidia driver for FSX is 260.99 and the best for FS9 is 314.22. The best compromise version I have found so far is 301.42.

My system: Windows XP Pro SP2 32 bit operating system with a BFG NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT OC 512MB PCIe 2.0 video card.

Figured it out - as almost always, was just at the edge of overloading VAS (REX with 4096 clouds, ORBX PNW, VRS TacPack _and_ FTX NA GA AI with _both_ FSX and FTX AI turned on.... !) and I guess whatever tweak Nvidia did to latest drivers pushed it all over the edge.

Learned not to have all the knobs turned to 11 with the whole band playing at once and everything seems fine now.

But yes, there's always a subtlety to run into in FSX; I have to remember the KISS principle from time to time, especially since I've been so amazed at the difference my new rig can handle from my previous, creaking Core2Duo system. Was an expensive upgrade; the ASUS motherboard capacitors better last a decade this time! :)

"House of cards".

How true. :)

gb.

+1

ZORAN