Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

FS9.6

Let's face it, after you've tweaked and twiddled for ages, your FS2004 installation still doesn't do self-shadowing or reflections.

But this needn't spoil all the fun, a large part of the entertainment is impressing your friends with screenshots of your amazing setup!

Enter Sqirlz:

http://www.xiberpix.net/SqirlzReflect.html

Many will know it, but I thought I may mention it again, perhaps this will renew interest and get some more FS9 shots in the screenshots forum. .

Here's a plain vanilla one - the temptation is always strong to overdo these things though.

WIlga1.png

Sqirlz won't add self-shadowing, but can provide some fun trying out all those reflective effects.

FS9.6

I regretfully have to inform you that you are woefully "down rev" on your simulator.  According to a poster in another thread, he has reached the wonderment of FS9.99.  The rest of us mortals will just have to drool with envy with our FS9.1 - FS9.75 setups.

@ gwillmot; That is just so heart wrenchingly true. I am still drudging along with 9.10 +/- a few tenths depending on how one weeks tweaking compares to the last or the one before. More ups and downs than a yo yo contest!

Best to all,

Mel

mebull, on 24 May 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

@ gwillmot; That is just so heart wrenchingly true. I am still drudging along with 9.10 +/- a few tenths depending on how one weeks tweaking compares to the last or the one before. More ups and downs than a yo yo contest!

Best to all,

Mel

Sounds like your using FSX. My FS9.75 setup has been stable and set in stone for the last 5 years now.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

FS9.6

I regretfully have to inform you that you are woefully "down rev" on your simulator.  According to a poster in another thread, he has reached the wonderment of FS9.99.  The rest of us mortals will just have to drool with envy with our FS9.1 - FS9.75 setups.

gwillmot I will not be rushed into anything beyond my objectively assessed FS9.5!

The FS9.99 you speak of, was purely hypothetical.

In this thread I have made a specific exception and added a further 0.1 because of the passengers: half due to the pair in the back, half due to the pair in front.

Those familiar with the Wilga will know what I am talking about...

My FS9.75 setup has been stable and set in stone for the last 5 years now.

OK, I'll be the one to bring everyone back to reality. There is no FS9.75, FS9.6, FS6 7/8.

All of this is in your humble imaginations. The reality is - the highest version of FS9 is FS9.1!

Period, end of story. All of the prattle about "mine is bigger than yours" is poppycock (no pun intended).

Now, everyone go play with what you have (FS9.0 or FS9.1) and may your flights be successful

The preceding was the opinion of this poster only and is not necessarily the opinion of this website, Microsoft, and any other entity in this universe.

In this thread I have made a specific exception and added a further 0.1 because of the passengers: half due to the pair in the back, half due to the pair in front.

You have my expressed written consent to add whatever you wish ..... but ......please see above for further reference.

Note: Wilga owners are exempt

Sounds like your using FSX. My FS9.75 setup has been stable and set in stone for the last 5 years now.

Hi Dillon, same here. I was being a bit sarcastic about some that are addicted to trying everything under the sun to make improvements to FS9.1, . . . . . real or imagined. Then announcing they have a new version - FS9.nnnn! I do try new things occasionally but only after there has been sufficient discussion and testing which indicates there could be a meaningful improvement without a negative trade off. So, just as in my marriage of 42 years, looking at new things is sort of alright, testing them without due consideration could be a really bad thing. I tend to be happy with what I've got and not push my luck.

Best regards,

Mel

Hi Dillon, same here. I was being a bit sarcastic about some that are addicted to trying everything under the sun to make improvements to FS9.1, . . . . . real or imagined. Then announcing they have a new version - FS9.nnnn! I do try new things occasionally but only after there has been sufficient discussion and testing which indicates there could be a meaningful improvement without a negative trade off. So, just as in my marriage of 42 years, looking at new things is sort of alright, testing them without due consideration could be a really bad thing. I tend to be happy with what I've got and not push my luck.

Best regards,

Mel

Here here!  Great response regarding this insane "race" to FS9.nnnn!  As a married man of 39 years myself, I feel your pain ....err .......share your viewpoint on being happy with what you have.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Before anyone gets het up here, let me announce that this is a Not Very Serious thread.

If you "get it", then stay with us...

But like many things said in jest, there's an element of truth in there somewhere.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

is just plain daft.

FS is the one place in my life that I can fix it especially when it ain't broke!

FS9.nn (and how happy I was not to see another "X" in there!) is something that happens when you Get Lucky.

I am totally unashamed to say that when I do Get Lucky, I go and post a shot in the screenshots forum, and tell anyone who asks: I have no idea what led to this point!

I am totally unashamed to say that when I do Get Lucky, I go and post a shot in the screenshots forum, and tell anyone who asks: I have no idea what led to this point!

I for one am happy that you do and I have benefited from your posts. (Still fiddling with SweetFx!) To be honest my sarcasm was not directed at you or your efforts. I did mention 'discussion' and 'testing' and that is what you do so, no problem there either. I will be the first to admit that I have (and will probably continue to be) responsible for "optimizing" things until they break just to have something to fix or "improving" something (like FS9.1) so it is better than OEM. That is what we are all pursuing here. The fact is we have either FS9.0 or FS9.1 yet anyone can call it what they wish and that's not up to me to decide.

"I have no idea what led to this point!" ---------------- A driver in a road rally asks his navigator, "Which way should we go? . . . . Straight?" the navigator responds, "Right!", the driver turns hard right and they come to a very abrupt stop at the base of a large tree. It wasn't the trees fault - not your fault either.

By the way I love your screen shots. Have you studied art? Your shots always show good composition.

Regards,

Mel

FS is the one place in my life that I can fix it especially when it ain't broke!

From Mirriam-Webster dictionary:

To Fix:

a : repair, mend <fix the clock>

b : restore, cure <the doctor fixed him up>

c : spay, castrate

Since "a" or "b" don't apply since your FS is not sick or broken, I can assume you are performing "c".

Reflection ... ?

http://www.xiberpix....rlzReflect.html

When I go there it's a suggestion to download a setup.exe from Tucows (they tell a size of 2MB)

After download this file I have sqirlzwaterreflections-setup.exe and it's size is 1.06 MB

When I run the setup it's a request to connect to Tucows (my firewall) and I accept

After that It's show this GUI:

PB5K3Ni.jpg

And I click on Accept .. and I can seat there hours :) nothing happen

Can some experts of "cows" explain me what to do more ?  :)

EDITED

Seems the Tucows download is corrupted

I download from here:

http://www.commentcamarche.net/download/telecharger-34083956-sqirlz-water-reflections

I received a ZIP file of 2 MB  and no problems for installation !!

A thousand apologies... Tucows has changed character somewhat since I last went there.

It seems they and others merely want to add toolbars to your browser, the better to sell your surfing habits.

A better bet might be at CNet, taking care with what you click 'yes" to.

http://download.cnet.com/Sqirlz-Water-Reflections/3000-2186_4-10395165.html

By the way I love your screen shots. Have you studied art? Your shots always show good composition.
Well thank you! No I am no artist, but am well known to be the best critic of ze family artistes! 

I can assume you are performing "c"
a,b,c,...repair, restore, castrate... constantly.

As mentioned when I randomly arrive at "a" it makes the joy so much better!

Too late to edit the last post...

You can do lots in FS2004 if you have the time or inclination!

Is this a screenshot? a movie clip?