Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

Migrating back to FS9

Hi all, I have decided after much consideration (watching lots of you tube) to migrate back to FS9. I am sick to death of the endless tweaking ( and crashing) of FSX! All I want to do is fly for my VA's and at 62 I think I'll be dead before the T7 appears! Which was really all that was keeping me with FSX. So would some kind souls recommend the following for me, the best; Airliner, weather engine, graphics addons and scenery, thanks in advance.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Welcome SierraHotel.

Your requests have been answered many, many times in this mature forum. Can I therefore suggest you use the search facility, or do you prefer to be spoonfed?

So you're over FSX without the tweaking?

You tried a clean install of FSX as per the PMDG knowledge base, added just the HIGHMEMFIX, chose moderate graphics settings and are still not satisfied with the FSX performance?

Well, then:

- iFly NGX as the best FS9 airliner,

- Active Sky (Evolution) for weather

- VOZ 1.8 is a great freeware scenery covering the whole of Australia.

- the PSS B777 is still a fine T7

Welcome SierraHotel.

Your requests have been answered many, many times in this mature forum. Can I therefore suggest you use the search facility, or do you prefer to be spoonfed?

Cheers Guys,no spoon feeding necessary...;-)

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Welcome SierraHotel.

......or do you prefer to be spoonfed?

Nice greeting to a possible member of the FS9 Lovers Association!  Nothing but Style and Class!  Ya just gotta luv it.

Cheers Guys,no spoon feeding necessary...;-)

HI Sierra,

I've recently resurrected an older machine for FS9 bought off Ebay. Am amazed by how good it is. Have to admit, I hadn't used it before but the fluidity is a real nice change from FSX, but you're right that a certain number of addons are needed to make it look better than straight out of the box.

One thing I was really suprised about was the number of FSX addons (scenery especially) I had bought that already included the FS9 versions - so worthwhile looking at what you already have been using to see if it includes something you can already use ... doesn't unfortunately include Orbx, but I'm using FS9 mainly for commercial flights and FSX for GA so not a huge issue.

For other scenery addons I have to very highly recommend Flight1's Ground Environment Pro - huge difference to the World.

For other visuals I went with REX for FS9 - cheap at simmarket, as well as Zinertek water and Zinertek airport - both make some really good updates to general visuals.

The mesh for FS9 is also pretty bad compared to FSX, so some good mesh from someone like FSGenesis is probably a good idea - defines mountains and elevations so much better.

I also then went and bought Flight1's Ultimate Terrain for Europe, US and Alaska/Canada - mainly for coastlines, trainlines, roads etc. and the night lighting can be pretty impressive.

For aircraft I did the iFly 737 and loved it, along with the QW BAE 146 bundle - as I said FS9 works a treats for commercial haulers so much nicer than FSX.

FInally, there's a few tweaks you'll probably want to make to the fs9.cfg - keep it minimal, and just remember that FS9 really only uses the first physical core even more so than FSX, so high clock speeds are going to be the best bet. There is of course a NickN's guide as well, with a summary of tweaks best found here: http://forums.simviation.com//cgi-bin/yabb25/YaBB.pl?num=1211055375/0#7

Anyway, enjoy the high framerates, the lack of CTD's and OOM's and if you come across anything else you think worthwhile make sure you add it on this list - makes it easier than searching through and trying to read through all those other threads ;o)

Danny

Danny Hicks

Hi all, I have decided after much consideration (watching lots of you tube) to migrate back to FS9. I am sick to death of the endless tweaking ( and crashing) of FSX! All I want to do is fly for my VA's and at 62 I think I'll be dead before the T7 appears! Which was really all that was keeping me with FSX. So would some kind souls recommend the following for me, the best; Airliner, weather engine, graphics addons and scenery, thanks in advance.

Read back through this thread and you'll find all the answers you need to know (I don't feel like re-writing all my posts on FS9.75):

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/406857-fs9-is-still-the-1-flight-simulator-for-heavy-operations/

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Nice greeting to a possible member of the FS9 Lovers Association!  Nothing but Style and Class!  Ya just gotta luv it.

C'mon, he's a Brit, he oughta have some humour.

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

... but the fluidity is a real nice change from FSX

How do you get FS9 to look fluid?

FS9 gives me frame rates as good as FSX (I have both sims locked at 30); and is almost as crash free as my FSX installation; but nothing I have tried has given me the fluidity I experience in FSX.

How do you get FS9 to look fluid?

FS9 gives me frame rates as good as FSX (I have both sims locked at 30); and is almost as crash free as my FSX installation; but nothing I have tried has given me the fluidity I experience in FSX.

May be you live in a parallel world.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

What is important to realize in my opinion is that addons for fs9 have been discounted and in many cases are free.

Regards;

Fritz

What is important to realize in my opinion is that addons for fs9 have been discounted and in many cases are free.

If only!! Sure there are a few free ones but it will still cost to get an optimum FS9 up and running - it shows there is still some life in (and money to be made from) this old bird yet!

Bill

Hi there,

In my case, everything that keeps me from coming back to FS9 is the low altitude low visibility ( fog, mist, etc ) layer disappearing while you climb and leaving the ground perfectly clear. 

At the time I was using AS6.5 which did not cure the problem. 

Does anybody know a weather program able to solve that?

Thanks!

You've gotten some great advice. It will cost you a bit to bump up the graphic quality. The main ones have already been mentioned like GEP, UT, Zinertek water, etc. If you enjoy UT night lighting in FSX, the FS9 version is much better imo. So many more points of light when all type of streets are activated. Only downside is autogen is reduced by a lot, but scenery complexity like land marks remain.
As for airliners, I highly recommend the Dreamfleet 727 and PMDG MD-11.

hc606me,
What you describe is a problem with FSX visibility. To get what you're looking for in FS9, pick the type of weather you want, click ok. Then go back to the weather menu again, click on advanced weather settings and change visibility and height to what you want. Unlike FSX, FS9 can only do a single visibility layer. What I do most of the time is set 30mi visibility up to 10, 000ft. After I pas 10, 000ft, the visibility layer will remain below me and everything upwards is clear.
I'm not sure how Active Sky handle this. I haven't used ASE for the past few months because I've been doing easy casual flights using default weather the way I described above with weather rate of change set to moderate.
My guess is that if AS has downloaded two layers like 30mi up to 9000ft and 60mi at 9000 and up, everything after 9000 will be 60mi. You won't have a 30mi layer underneath because FS9 can only do a single layer. Basically, you only get one lower visibility layer and everything out of that range will be unlimited, unless you're using Active Sky where it will continue to change your visibility. This is why the settings I mentioned above using default weather works. Because you'll get your lower layer to stay below you, but above that will be unlimited.

Thanks Groovin_DC-10,

I know it's not a software bug but I wish some smart guy ( from the old Aces Studio team, maybe ) would "crack the nut" and let us enjoy real time weather in the FS9.

I'm wondering how Active Sky Evolution deals with the visibility layer.

Aerosoft's Dornier Do27 would get my vote for GA planes.

Regards!