Sign in to follow this  
SierraHotel

Migrating back to FS9

ASE has many visibility options.

How do you get FS9 to look fluid?

FS9 gives me frame rates as good as FSX (I have both sims locked at 30); and is almost as crash free as my FSX installation; but nothing I have tried has given me the fluidity I experience in FSX.

But with an Ivybridge i5 or i7 running at 4.5GHz and a GTX 770, you can run FS9 at 60FPS as smooth as buuter - unlike FSX, which will NEVER run as smooth as, even, crunchy peanut butter.

Also try the Aerosoft and FS Dreamteam airports for FS9 - superb, especially when used with Aerosoft AES.

Mexsim do a brilliant Leeds-Bradford as well.

Also, use REX for FS2004 textures - and GEP with Ultimate Terrain - but if you start getting crashes, forget UT - it can still cause problems.

If you have a quad CPU, assign FS9 to 2 cores (it will use 50% of both), and assign your weather engine to another on its own.

The best aircraft are:

QW 146

iFly 737

PMDG 747

PMDG MD11

Level ~D 767 - although the lack of 2D pop-ups is annoying

MD 80 from Leonardo and Coolsky (choice is personal !)

EJETS 175/195 from Feelthere - run great in FS9

Flight1 ATR 72-500 - great addon although it looks a little dated - runs better than it does in FSX !!!

Also, be aware that FS2Crew is available for many of the above !

And, use Radar Contact and FlightSim Commander - preferably on a client PC using WideFS... and of course, a TrackIR (v5 with Pro Clip). You will wonder why you ever bothered with FSX !

Enjoy.

Turn up the weather layers, and Ai to 100% and enjoy reality, as opposed to the pretty, but empty (or stuttery !) FSX.

Thanks for the input. Are you sure FS9 can run on two cores, on Win7?

I thought it as singled-cored only.

Thanks for the input. Are you sure FS9 can run on two cores, on Win7?

I thought it as singled-cored only.

It is a single core program and there is no way to patch, adjust, modify, trick, or fool FS9 to use more than one core using any operating system.

Doesn't FS Copilot have an option to run FS9 multithreaded?

SSE2 is not the same as dual core.

I'm sure you are right! B)

Sorry, should have been specific - allocating FS2004 to 2 cores simply splits the process across 2 cores, which imo, makes the whole process a little more stable and certainly keeps the temps down !

No it doesn't because you can't allocate anything from the stock FS 2004 to run on a second core. Every process, call, calculation, and thread is going to run on core 1. The only thing you can allocate are add-ons that run outside of FS.

I've decided to follow your lead and return to FS9. I've finally given up on trying to get FSX to work and I see no future left with Flight. I got so frustrated with FSX and Flight that I gave up on flight simming entirely for the last half year. When I saw your post, I remembered that I never had any problems with FS9. I want to spend my time flying, not trying endless tweaks (none of which really help) with FSX or hoping in vain that Flight will develop into something that it never was and never will be.

Just reinstalled FS9 this weekend. Soaring along beautifully locked and steady at 60 fps in my DF727, iFly 737 and PMDG 737. Ultimate Traffic at 90%.

I have no real complaints about FSX, I just wasn't enjoying simming. Firing up FS9 was like coming home after a long journey. That is, a long journey at 18 frames per second.

All i can say is with your rig you should be getting 60fps easy in FSX.  Anyway, enjoy FS9! it is a great sim.

Rob Prest