Sign in to follow this  
KL Oo

New FSX Install. DX9 or DX10

Hey all,

Just after some advice - Just doing a fresh install in the next week with either a 680 GTX or the 780 GTX and thinking about trying to set up as best as I can for DX10. I've read some stuff around about how good and smooth it is but I'm worried about compatibility issues.

Couple of questions

1. How good is the performance gain really? Are we just talking smoothness or FPS?

2. What addons have issues with DX10? I've read somewhere that alot of the World of AI a/c won't display correctly. Is this correct?

Cheers for any advice.

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

DX10 for me from now on.

Smoothness and reliability - no CTDs or OOMs.

Some minor issues with specific add-ons, see the DX10 forum.

Don't use WoAI.

Cheers

Keith

DX10 here also.  Some minor graphical issues with a few scenery add-ons but everything else is great.  Performance is up, OOM's almost never happen, and image quality is also improved compared to DX9.  

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a search in the DC10 forum (didn't even know there was one!) and it seems that there are a lot of airport scenery that isn't completely compatible, ie, night textures not displaying etc.

That sort of puts me off a little. I never had any real issues with DX9 (I don't use Autogen at all so that probably saves on memory) but wast thinking about DX10 just for the performance increase.... requires a little more investigation I think. Luckily it'll be another few weeks before I get setup with the 780 GTX anyway!

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

I never had any real issues with DX9 (I don't use Autogen at all so that probably saves on memory) but wast thinking about DX10 just for the performance increase....

What computer do you have? If you're not using autogen at all you should get plenty of performance(autogen is what usually taxes my system most) and I cant see why you need to go DX10 then...

Why switch to DX10 and have all those nasty graphical issues if you don't have too? Im using DX9 without any OOMs, great stutterfree performance with decent settings, have never seen the point in DX10 Preview and all the glitches it adds to the immersion. :rolleyes:

DX10 has too many gfx issues still for it to be a viable choice for me and my addons.