Sign in to follow this  
Hanse

FS9 texture problem

Hi!

I have a problem with my FS9 textures and as I don't know if it is a video card or sim problem

i post this in both this and the hardware forum.

When I start at an airport I get normal texture images, but it pops into blurred repeatedly

and I have to refresh scenery.

I checked my setup and the NVIDIA Inspector, but settings seem OK.

I have a Gigabyte NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 Ti card and the PC is absolutely adequate; Intel

3.4 GHZ, enough memory, etc.

I am sure it must be a setting somewhere which causes this.

Any idea how to fix this problem?

Grateful for any tips.

Thanks!

Hans Hermansson

Sweden

I have had this occur when there is a corrupt bgl file active. Does this happen at any airport, or just one?

Back up your scenery.cfg file open it in a text editor like Notepad and remove all 3rd. party entries, that is all after:

[area.037]
title=Propeller Objects

Save, restart FS. If you still get the problem, then I have no idea I'm afraid. If you don't then it's a case of finding the culprit by trial and error.

Martin

Hello Martin!

and thanks for reply.

I think you may be right, because this problem showed itself specifically at KLAX,

so I'll disable my addon KLAX and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Hans in Sweden

If the KLAX scenery is the culprit, re-enable the scenry and move batches of bgl files out of the KLAX/scenery folder, into a folder on the desktop for instance, and restart FS9 each time (that's what takes the time in FS9!) until you find the one which is causing the problems. I guess that that is logical and doesn't really need me to tell you what to do!

It's often an exclude or flatten file that's at fault by the way, so you might start with those...

It's often an exclude or flatten file that's at fault

I have been troubleshooting scenery issues in FS9 for 7 years and have never heard this before.

Can you give a specific example where this has happened?

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I can't give any example, simply because I no longer remember the exact details. It has happened like this a number of times since I started with FS2002 many moons ago, but I can't recall the bgl files now.

It is my definite experience in troubleshooting this sort of thing that excludes and flattens are the most likely to cause CTD and OoM problems (the latter very very rare now, since I changed to a 64-bit O/S) and the kind of issue discussed in this thread. Not always of course, but I try those first..

Ok, I do tend to make a note of any bgl files that give me problems and what I did about it (can be helpful): for what it is worth, the following are a few examples. I always try the same scenario several times with the bgl files active (problem occurs) then disabled (problem solved) to make sure I have the right files. Some instances may be a peculiarity of my FS9 setup of course, two sceneries that don't 'get on' with each other...Note that another category of files that can cause CTDs or even BSODs are landclass files.

I give this information based on over 12 years experience troubleshooting FS9 problems and I am convinced that what I say is valid - far too much of a coincidence over many instances not to be so IMHO. If anyone disagrees, that's fine. I am not setting myself up as a guru here and insisting that what I say must be so for everybody else, just that it well could be: if anyone doesn't agree with what I put, fine, but please don't waste your time entering into a dispute here with me about it.. [ [:rolleyes:] ]

(Sorry I haven't got time to find out the name of the scenery zip files BTW).

Caused CTD or BSOD:

Solomon Islands scenery: AGGP_flatten.bgl, AGGT_flatten.bgl

MMGL scenery: MMGLEXT.bgl

FALE scenery: FALEPHOTO1_VTPH.BGL

VAGO scenery: VAGO_JHx.bgl

SBGR scenery: sao_lc1_5.bgl, sao_lc1_9.bgl, sao_lc2_5.bgl, sao_lc2_9.bgl

Cause sceneries to blur:

Mount Cook airport scenery: NZHK_GA_Fuel.bgl

Dunedin airport scenery: NZDN_FltLinFue.bgx

Hi again Martin and Joe!

and thans for tips.

It seems to be specifically KLAX where the blurred textures emerge.

I have removed all addon sceneries from KLAX and made my own ADE9 afcad file,

but the blurries tend to show up anyway.

Strange!  No clue as to what could be wrong,,,,,,,,

Hans in Sweden

You mean that after removing your addon KLAX scenery, the default airport scenery is blurred?

Odd as it may sound (but I test these things several times over, so am sure of what I am saying) airport scenery can be affected by a bgl file belonging to a scenery half way across the world. Did you disable all of your addon sceneries (easiest via your scenery.cfg file, as I indicated - but do back up the original of course!!!) to see if that helped? I'd be surprised if it doesn't cure the problem. You then have to hunt down where the problem file is by adding back sceneries to the scenery.cfg file bit by bit. It can be a long process but I have done it many times over the years and can honestly say that I have never not been able to solve problems of CTD/BSOD or blurred sceneries.

.. can you post a screenshot. The 'blurries' caused by a bgl file are very severe - quite recognisable as a bgl problem rather than just ground textures not being as sharp as they should be.

Have you tried a different aircraft? Certain aircraft textures can cause this I think.

Martin,

Relax dude.

I wasn't attacking you, simply asking for examples where excludes and/or flattens caused blurry textures.

Not picking a fight here, just want to point out that your examples show CTDs or OOMs caused by flattens or excludes, not blurry textures (the topic of this thread).

BTW, you can fix your blurry textures at NZHK and NZDN by getting the updated textures for Sidney Schwartz's object libraries. The originals are known to cause blurry textures.

This might be of interest to the OP also.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Joe.. sorry if I sounded defensive, but I wasn't really aiming my comments at you especially. It's just that I have had 'doubters' voice their opinions to me before about this, not always terribly politely.But I am pretty sure of what I have discovered over such a long period of time: I was just trying to pre-empt any repeat of this, adding a smiley so hopefully people could see I was 'relaxed'.

The examples of the blurry textures I gave were just a couple II could find quickly - there have been quite a few others but not sure now what they were. Often landclass files are involved, of that I am 100% sure..

Thanks for the information about the updated files. Will see if I can find them tomorrow...

M.