Sign in to follow this  
scottthefsxguy

Best Bush Aircraft

We'll have a bottle of the best Papuan Beer waiting for your arrival .... :wink:

The other great thing about the PNG scenery, is that it's a good link into the other Pacific Islands Simulation sceneries;  Marshall Islands, Kosrae, etc, so you build up a lovely "West Pacific" region of lovely scenery!     Great for bush aircraft, but also flying the Turbine Duke from PNG to the Marshall Islands may just be doable.  :smile:

Where can I find these mods?  B)

Send me a PM with your email address.

Bert

My advice is to avoid the cubs as they are too slow if you fly with others.

That's a common problem with a lot of the STOL aircraft, but especially the Cubs. However the airfields in the NA Volume 1 really are quite tiny, so you're not going to get in (or out) with something heavier and faster. Not sure it can be done (safely) with the C337. Haven't tried it with the LHC Kodiak, but it should be do-able, and it cruises at 150kts and climbs like a rocket.

I really *want* to like the C185, but it just doesn't work for me. Visibility in the VC is quite poor, ground handling (even with all the updates) is weird and springy. Check it out, though. It might just be what you're looking for.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

+1 hearty recommendation for the PNG scenery pack. Also note there is a PNG Holgermesh file available from OZx. Install before installing the PNG pack - they play nicely together.

For tiny strips in something faster than the default or A2A Cub, you might try a Scout (RealAir), Super Cub (flight replicas or FSAddon) or perhaps the Bird Dog (sibwings).

... I honestly can't believe I'm the only one suggesting Aerosoft's TwOtter Extended (or V2 or whatever they're calling it). Get it when it releases -which it will soon-, it's shaping up to be fantastic.

... I honestly can't believe I'm the only one suggesting Aerosoft's TwOtter Extended (or V2 or whatever they're calling it). Get it when it releases -which it will soon-, it's shaping up to be fantastic.

Perhaps you're the only one suggesting it, because it hasn't been released yet!

It's not really feasible to suggest an add-on that hasn't been released at this point.

But I'm sure it will be nice.

Personally I find GA flying just plain boring when there's no challenge like what this scenery offers. For GA flying in non-challenging conditions like around areas offered by ORBX and such I rather just wait until I have time to get my own microlight pilots license and start flying for real. 

If you're looking for challenges, and enjoy bush flying, you might want to look into the Bush Pilots Racing League.

It's got some pretty challenging courses (with altitude limitations, off-airport landings, and mountain-hugging paths to follow). Plus, of course, you have to do it all as fast as possible, and with online tracking, so there are no second chances! ;)

The league just started, and is still a bit of work-in-progress, but if it's challenges in the bush you're looking for, you should check them out!

Perhaps you're the only one suggesting it, because it hasn't been released yet!

It's not really feasible to suggest an add-on that hasn't been released at this point.

But I'm sure it will be nice.

In all fairness though, the TwOtter as is and the TwOtter Extended are like the 744 and the 744v2; it's not as if the TwOtter is completely useless and outdated. He/Anyone could still give it a whirl and derive tons of enjoyment out of it. But I do get your point and apologize!  ^_^

It includes better mesh for PNG, other than that scenery is mostly FSX default I believe. 

Honestly looks aren't what make this scenery so amazing, it's the challenge it offers. Many of the airports it covers are more difficult than anything you will ever find for FSX, even if their airport buildings (mostly small huts so why would that matter anyway?) aren't in as good resolution as with ORBX stuff.

Personally I find GA flying just plain boring when there's no challenge like what this scenery offers. For GA flying in non-challenging conditions like around areas offered by ORBX and such I rather just wait until I have time to get my own microlight pilots license and start flying for real. 

I noticed the PNG scenery has lots of airstrips in the package. Unfortunately nothing difficult is shown in the screenshots. Are we talking about numerous short runways with inclines and difficult approaches with trees etc? It looks interesting. I agree that ORBX doesn't offer a lot of difficulty, but I find between adding some wind conditions and bringing in the RealAir Duke (for example) into Fall City I can get, at times more than I bargained for.

@Sunaru

No apology needed my friend!

I noticed the PNG scenery has lots of airstrips in the package. Unfortunately nothing difficult is shown in the screenshots. Are we talking about numerous short runways with inclines and difficult approaches with trees etc? It looks interesting. I agree that ORBX doesn't offer a lot of difficulty, but I find between adding some wind conditions and bringing in the RealAir Duke (for example) into Fall City I can get, at times more than I bargained for.

I'm not sure about sloped runway TBH, but there are plenty of difficult approaches, one-way in/outs, high altitude, tree-laden approaches, etc.

I think they tend to be the smaller, inland (mountainous) airfields, whereas most of the screenies are showing the larger airfields.

Great Ozzie, on 30 May 2013 - 03:31 AM, said:

If you have Orbx CRM, you can find some challenging airstrips in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness area.

E.g. Dewey Moore, Mile Hi etc...

Or you can buy MCA designs NA airstrips vol1, comes with 3 nice challenging bush strips. And theres NZ Milford Sound addon from Orbx that has 4 airports included, Quintin lodge is the most challening of them and is a one way ticket landing, no go arounds. And Im sure there are plenty of other orbx default bush strips that are challenging.

So there are some challenges in Orbx land, you just have too know where to find them

+1 to Quinton Lodge in NZSI. Nice challenging strip (except for some invisible obstruction at the end that triggers crash detection)

To be honest, in GA planes even challenging approaches are relatively easy in FSX. I have been flying the C337 by Carenado and I am not sure the FDE/physics are correct. I can stop in a few metres on a strip by landing at close to stalling with the brakes jammed - the plane stops almost immediately after rolling 2-3 seconds. I can takeoff like a STOL plane relatively quickly by maxing the throttle while holding the breaks and then releasing it.  Type of strip doesn't matter - concrete\grass\dirt.  Maybe this is close to real behavior (or that FSX does not model ground interaction well) but someone earlier mentioned its not a good bush plane, so makes me think maybe the short takeoffs and landings I am experiencing are not true for the real plane.

To be honest, in GA planes even challenging approaches are relatively easy in FSX. I have been flying the C337 by Carenado and I am not sure the FDE/physics are correct

Either that plane has crazy STOL capabilities or something wrong with the FDE or your a super high skilled pilot :P . I do not fly Carenado planes but with the e.g Katana4x + some nice crosswind it can be a real challenge, not exactly a bush plane but if I remove det wheel covers it can land on bush strips.

Had an incident with the Katana on one of the strips from MCA Designs that almost killed me where the prop and engine got damaged on takeoff because the runway had some nasty bumps, It ended In spending time in the hangar for repairs.

Another great challenge, though not a bush plane challenge and not in Orbx Territory that I highly reccomend is getting the new weather engine FSGlobal Real weather and try out the new live "local weather effect" at Madeira combined with Accufeel 2 turb. It some of the craziest turbulence/windshear/gusts whatever that was expirience was, I have ever had with FSX when landing at an airport. Did some touch and goes with the A2A P51 and some other planes for several hours, ended up with damaged gears many times and also several nasty crashes with the katana 4x wich probably killed my virtual life and it is even a large airport :O. To add something, I liked that the Aerosoft Madeira X scenery can be use while FTX EU is activated so I can do some flights from England with tubes.

So for me FSX can be a real challenge :lol:

it's not as if the TwOtter is completely useless and outdated.

You're right, I still enjoy flying it, but as we know that the new version is going to be released within the next few weeks (at least I hope that), I wouldn't recommend the old one. Also, as Dave said, we can't really recommend the new Twotter, because it's not released, although it does look very promising.