Sign in to follow this  
StewCal

Fell out of Sky Today

It's interesting to note 2 people had that problem (if I'm reading Capt. Farhadi right). Did the stabilizer go full forward with you as well, Steve? Or was it a completely different reason that caused you to crash?

yeah,you got it right.when i disengaged the A/P,stab went to full forward(full nose down)and when i use trim buttons,didn't recover.i turned the YawDampers off,and nothing happened.i'm a real life pilot(IranAir A320) and it was very similar to Upset Positions that we had a class about 6 months ago.i know how to recover an A320 from a situation like this,but i'm not even familiar with Q400.very similar to some 737s that they had something like this with rudder in 90's(rudder jam that caused by Heat shocking rudder servos)

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

had this  the other  day noticed  that my trim was set   to nose  down  when I switched off  the a/p so wondering if  this  could be the cause  of it next time  going to make sure  the  trim is set  to zero  before  turning off the a/p

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

i think this happens when autopilot works with both of elevator and stab trim.this is a AP bug,pulls back elevator and makes nose down trim(for example if your control surfaces arent neutral,and you engage AP,if the AP has some programing bugs,AP will do something like this situation).when you disengage AP,your in AP's trap!but still wondering why trim wont come back,in these situations,we do as below on airbus,hope a Q400 pilot help us

1-if AP is in command,disengage it

2-full stick back,whatch stab postion on FLCRTL page of SD,if trim wasnt coming back,go to step 3;else,use pitch trim to speed up your emergency climbing

3-if CM1 is PF,Turn ADIRU 2 & 3 off and if CM2 is PF,Turn ADIRU 1 & 3 off to enable direct law,then use manual pitch trim to recover aircraft.

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

Did my first flight since the crash today.  All went well even if my hand was shaking as I disengaged the autopilot....

Steve Giblin

Should report this in the Majestic Software forum, if there's enough detail I'm sure the devs will investigate.

I had this happen two days ago. Stable approach on AP, at about 1500ft AGL, I disconnected the AP and the plane went nose down. Not lightning fast, but as if I were pushing forward pretty hard. I immediately pulled all the way back and held the trim button to get full nose-up deflection. It shallowed out a bit, started to come back up, but I still hit the ground hard enough that it would have collapsed the gear in RL and probably have killed people. My rate of descent was still pretty high. When I hit the ground, the plane was pretty much completely level with the ground aka no flare. I bounced and then settled backed to the runway.

And I know that I was 5-10 knots above approach speed the entire time this was going on. It was as if I had VERY little control over pitch. However, I did start to drift to the left while this was going on, so I kicked in some right rudder, and that was definitely responsive. But as for pitch and roll, there was very little, if any, control.

Only happened once and hasn't shown up again.

I had this happen two days ago. Stable approach on AP, at about 1500ft AGL, I disconnected the AP and the plane went nose down. Not lightning fast, but as if I were pushing forward pretty hard. I immediately pulled all the way back and held the trim button to get full nose-up deflection. It shallowed out a bit, started to come back up, but I still hit the ground hard enough that it would have collapsed the gear in RL and probably have killed people. My rate of descent was still pretty high. When I hit the ground, the plane was pretty much completely level with the ground aka no flare. I bounced and then settled backed to the runway.

And I know that I was 5-10 knots above approach speed the entire time this was going on. It was as if I had VERY little control over pitch. However, I did start to drift to the left while this was going on, so I kicked in some right rudder, and that was definitely responsive. But as for pitch and roll, there was very little, if any, control.

Only happened once and hasn't shown up again.

was your nose at about -90?and seems your trim hadnt locked like mine.

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

I too had this issue. A/p disconnect nose hard over from trim setting. Was not able to recover as I was at 1500AGL. Very sad.

Justin whetstone

Hi,

Had the same problem a couple of days ago on the approach to EDDF.

No chance to recover :-(

Kind regards

Martin

Can you guys tell me if there is a useautopilot=1 item in your aircraft config? I encountered this problem during beta testing, and setting this to 0 cured my problem that you describe (loss of trim control, as well as elevator). A programmer might chime in here and correct me, but it's worth a try.

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Hi,

Do you mean in the aircraft.cfg file?

I only have a "autopilot available=1" in the [autopilot] section of the aircraft.cfg, but no useautopilot=1.

Kind regards

Martin

Oh yes- that's the entry. Try switching it to 0 for a little while and see if the problem crops up again.

Ok, thanks. I will give it a try :-)

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 10 mit Tapatalk

I'm thinking now that Oleksiy had done something to fix that problem in one of our beta builds, but I could be wrong, and I hope I didn't just affect your simulation. at worst, you could always change it back to 1!