Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

FSX cured my fear of flying

Seriously!

I started to be FSX addict 2 years ago, and after a year I'm not scared of flying anymore. I don't fly often to be honest, last time flew to Turkey 3 years ago, and I was so nervous, wanted to jump out of my own skin before the flight. Now, I can't wait honestly to board on next flight, to pay attention to sounds, flaps, wing flex (popular topic these days), approaches and stuff. Those details will keep me occupied for sure.

Also, after many hours pent in various virtual cockpits (A320, 757, Twotter) I realised how safe the tubeliners are, and that minor failures are not dangerous ones.

To be honest, I'm more concerned when going on a long trip by car, so many reckless drivers out there.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I thought I would have a fear of flying... until my brother became a pilot with the same passion one has with the first child being born. His joy infected me with it also, so I was spared

the fear of it, or maybe I should say the excitement of it surpppresed it out.

It's a bizarre act. Suspended in air within the walls of something that can weight tons and tons.

Flying IS only safer than driving when commercial airline statistics (Per passenger seat/mile) are compared. However, general aviation flying is tremendously more dangerous than driving.  Recognizing and understanding the dangers of flying and separating the attitude needed for flying from that of driving is vital for safe flying.

"Flying out of Danger", a book which explains the risks and avoidance of dangers about flying should be a required read for anyone contemplating getting their pilot's license. It starts with dispelling the myth that flying is safer than driving. This perpetual misinformation is a disservice to all and is, in and in itself, a contributing factor in many tragic deaths because it causes student and new pilots to take wrong attitudes into flying.

I will even go further to dare say that there are people with certain personalities that should never even try getting their pilot license. For example, if you are type that most often makes a left turn against upcoming traffic that cuts it too close for most other people in the same situation, you do not belong in an airplane.

My two cents on this.

Yea... if your bitting at the bit to be in the next X-games, flying is probably not your thing... Unless your in it for aerobatics, and have the acuity to learn it from qualified schools

and instructors. If your in the rented 172, and want to show your friends a "cool" maneuver, your mind is not conductive to your long term prospects as an aviator.

There are safe pilots, and there are brave pilots... but there are no old brave pilots.

Flying IS only safer than driving when commercial airline statistics (Per passenger seat/mile) are compared. However, general aviation flying is tremendously more dangerous than driving.  Recognizing and understanding the dangers of flying and separating the attitude needed for flying from that of driving is vital for safe flying.

"Flying out of Danger", a book which explains the risks and avoidance of dangers about flying should be a required read for anyone contemplating getting their pilot's license. It starts with dispelling the myth that flying is safer than driving. This perpetual misinformation is a disservice to all and is, in and in itself, a contributing factor in many tragic deaths because it causes student and new pilots to take wrong attitudes into flying.

I will even go further to dare say that there are people with certain personalities that should never even try getting their pilot license. For example, if you are type that most often makes a left turn against upcoming traffic that cuts it too close for most other people in the same situation, you do not belong in an airplane.

My two cents on this.

A great quote I saw on this once: 'Flying is safe...as long as you remember it's dangerous.'

Yeah, great quote. You can also use it for driving - "'Driving is safe...as long as you remember it's dangerous."

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

If your in the rented 172, and want to show your friends a "cool" maneuver

"Watch this!" is always the precursor to major mess-ups, and has the added bonus of making you look even more of an idiot.

Whether flying, driving or using a microwave, start cautiously, dip your toes in the water. Be daring within the limits of your own ability. Push the limits of your comfort zone tiny tiny baby steps at a time. Most importantly remember you always have more to learn. That way you are always aware that you aren't invincible.

Unfortunately a lot of people lack the presence of mind to be aware of what they can and can't do, and promptly eradicate themselves from the gene pool.

Rashid Yacine

Reading this reminds me of a quote I heard from a local helicopter pilot-

"There are two types of helicopter pilots: Ones that have crashed and those who are yet to"

c'mon guys... We're supposed to be easing fear of flying... not adding to them!

We only fear that of which we don't know. Replace fear with curiosity!

"There are two types of helicopter pilots: Ones that have crashed and those who are yet to"

As a Harley Davidson enthusiast, we also use that one.. just substitute helo pilots with bikers... But once you "break your wings" (there are even jackets that have broken wings on the back patch to proclaim the act), your good to go from then on.

GA is dangerous!. The nearer you get to the gound the more dangerous it gets. Except in the last few feet. I know more people killed in Airplanes than I know killed on the roads.

Don't worry though FS is perfectly safe unless your house burns down and you didn't notice the fire until it is to late.

But seriously, everytime I enter the circuit I say to myself;"here be monsters!" and don't forget your approuch is 1.3 times you landing config stall speed plus your head wind plus 5 knots for the wife and kids!