Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

B777-200 Reference Guide, Ok to post copy? NO

By the same token, the following items may very well be protected by copyright:

1.  Aircraft models:  Aircraft manufacturers like Boeing, Airbus, Cessna, etc. own the designs of their aircraft.  Modellers should obtain written permission from the aircraft manufacturers before uploading a model of an aircraft to Avsim.  You can be pretty sure that Microsoft secured the rights to and paid for every aircraft model they used in flight simulator.

2.  Liveries:  The liveries are the trademarked property of their respective airlines.  To use or upload those liveries, the repainter should get the written permission of the owning airlines.  That, by the way, is why Microsoft made up a bunch of phony baloney airlines rather than using real world airlines and liveries.  They did not want to pay a licensing fee.

3.  Airport models:  The architects who designed a given real airport own the rights to their designs, unless they assigned them to the owners of the airport in question.  Before uploading an AFCAD or orther rendering of an airport, the creator should get permission from the architects of that airport.

Consistent with this, I am assuming that AVSIM will immediately remove all infringing aircraft models, liveries and scenery from their site.  Furthermore, I am assuming that AVSIM will not longer accept advertising from, review, or in any way support third party developers who sell aircraft, liveries and scenery without first obtaining permission from the copyright holders.

I am also assuming that AVSIM will no longer publish photos or screenshots of aircraft without first securing permission from the photographer, the airlines and the aircraft maker.

To do otherwise would be wildly inconsistent with AVSIM's declarations that it respects the copyrights of other parties.

You may well be the next candidate for a 30 days ban from AVSIM, but I'm thankful you're telling the truth and putting things into perspective.

By the same token, the following items may very well be protected by copyright:

3.  Airport models:  The architects who designed a given real airport own the rights to their designs, unless they assigned them to the owners of the airport in question.  Before uploading an AFCAD or orther rendering of an airport, the creator should get permission from the architects of that airport.

This is the first I have ever heard of this condition. Usually designs belong to the client that ends up paying for it, not the architect. Is this common in the US, or something made up? Please quote an example if possible.

Consistent with this, I am assuming that AVSIM will immediately remove all infringing aircraft models, liveries and scenery from their site. Furthermore, I am assuming that AVSIM will not longer accept advertising from, review, or in any way support third party developers who sell aircraft, liveries and scenery without first obtaining permission from the copyright holders.

It is exactly this type of sanctimonious post that causes us to shut topics like this down, which I will now do. We have tried to walk a balanced line for nearly 17 years between these exact issues. Uploading a fully copyrighted Boeing document to our servers puts us at risk. Someone posting an image of a Boeing a/c in a flight simulator is an entirely different matter.