Sign in to follow this  
crvm

New hostility in flightsim

Guest tkjake

I have noticed a rather hostile attitude by most of the flightsim sites and some developers out there . It sure is obvious that MS has put the screws to them regarding a no-cd patch and probably some other stuff too. If they seriuosly think that hackers cant crack that little code, they are nuts. It's gonna happen, why make such a big fuss over it. And don't give me this copyright BS. Lets face it, if people can hack IE6 without breakin a sweat, FS9 is a joke to them. If MS wasn't maikng good money on FS, they would not have put out the patch in hopes of getting even more buisness for the next version by showing their support of the product. Perfectly good reasoning on there part.They need to come up with a better way to check a copyright than CD verification. It's a major pain in the rear folks. Hey, I've got kids using this computer all the time. Is it fair to me, after purchasing a $50 program,and loads more on addons, to risk not being able to use it because one disk got scratched? This little franchise of theirs is alot of fun for many people, and makes some good money for others too. Why hack people off like this. I really wouldn't be saying this except for the attitude about this subject that I have seen in the past three days. Man, some folks are just dropping the hammer(and you know who you are out there). It's like the copyright police are working overtime. Forum topics getting smashed, emails to people who mention the unmentionable "crack", threats to websites that had the old "crack". Give me a friggin break.

It's always like this anytime Microsoft releases a new version of FS. Think back to when FS2004 was released, the forums were buzzing with all kind of MS slams. It was that way with FS2002, 2000, the shadow patch for 2000, etc...I guess some people hang their hopes to high that whatever pet peave they had with the sim will be fixed. If it isn't, then MS has ruined their day. I have never used the infamous "crack" I guess I'm lucky, I never have to take disk 4 out of the drive. Cheers,Scott

Guest Zevious Zoquis

I don't know what you're talking about. Its always been the case at the major forums like this that nocd cracks are not to be discussed. They've actually been fairly lenient about it the past few days. I also don't sense alot of animosity about it from MS. All they said was if you're using the nocd, you'll want to switch back to the original exe before installing the patch. Makes perfect sense to me. Why would they design the patch to work with a hacked exe? They know there'll be a new nocd soon and they also know most of us will use it. Its simply more convenient than having to keep the cd out all the time. I've used the nocd for months, but when I went to install the patch I switched back to the original exe (which I was clever enough to simply rename to FS9_bak.exe when I put the nocd in). Bang, patch installed like a charm and now I have to use the cd for a while till another nocd comes out. Big deal. The only real hostility I've seen is from people peeved that they have to use the CD again. Kinda makes me wonder how many of them don't actually have the CD...

If someone owns the real Mc Coy then I see no issue with a no-cd patch, it's my business, just because there are cheats and theives running amuck does not mean we should not use this handy little shortcut. Thieves drive cars too how many will only drive bikes? Just because someone desires us to not use it does not make it against the law or wrong and that is relative anyways since this comunity covers most nations with different laws. Ethics and morals based upon a shotcut exe? Not in any nation I would hope. Paraniod developers do not dictate my choices and never will.... I have receipts ;-)Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | NEC LCD 1980SXi 19" | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro |

Guest bobsk8

When I bought my first PC, back in 1984, it came with 2 floppy drives. To run a program, you would have to insert a 5 1/4 disc in either one or both drives. I haven't had to do anything like that since I bought my first hard drive. The first thing I downloaded after I bought FS9 was the NoCD patch. having to take disc 4 in and out of the CD drive was really a hassle, since I use the CD drive frequently for other things. I hope MS drops this idea on the next version. Right now, their patch is not being installed on my system for several reasons, not the least of which is the CD issue.

Guest TWVA395

You guys have to respect Microsoft just a tad. The patch was released to work with the version of flight simulator that everyone has. Why would they design a patch that would work with a cracked .exe file? Their .exe file that was cracked ilegally... If you deleted or didn't make another copy of your .exe file, that's your fault. This applies to every other game. An example: Quake 3 releases a patch but those users who are using a no cd crack, can't run it. A no cd crack is saying: a) I pirated this software or :( I can't be bothered to take care of my cd. If you release your own product and you have an opportunity to stop hackers, wouldn't you? http://www.darkstarorder.com/SigFinal.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

No I don't agree. MS just needs to release a modified EXE that checks CODES then gives us the ablity to run without CD 4 in the tray. Do you really believe they cannot write such a simple code protection? This is MS not hill billy joe developer limited by $$$. It really does not matter WHAT the reasons are for thieves, it is the desired result for true customers which is convenience plain and simple. You knoiw the more one uses the CD the more likely it will get damaged. I use a lot of other programs so I need to switch often. Your example could be used against guns too, killers use them to kill and rob yet honest folks use them for protection, who made them is not the issue. A craked EXE is NOT the full game, it is the ability to RUN flight simulator without CD 4, that's all. The fact that it worked for the retail versions is suprising but we must keep in mind that we honest folks are using it simply to not mess with a cd loading each and every time we need to turn on flight simulator. This is certainly NOT A CRIME IF I OWN IT.... Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | NEC LCD 1980SXi 19" | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro |

Guest dsflyer

Could not agree more., How much of the budget of MS is flight sim related in the first place?., then consider the percentage of those buyers who abuse the copywright laws of the CD., maybe one in a hundred people (probably less)., that does not hurt MS in the pocket at all.. c,mon

Guest Ken_Salter

(Once again....:-roll)AVSim does not condone the use of ANY software that is used to circumvent copy protection, no matter WHO the company is or what personal feelings you have about it.Maybe the next version of FS will have activation code and I (we) won't have to worry about putting a CD in a drive...Topic smashed...

Guest TWVA395

If they need to release a modified .exe, then why don't all the other games need to do this? And you'll find that on those games that require a cd to run it, they often include a serial key as well. I find your gun example to be extremely confusing... how does it even relate? I'm not questioning your honesty or anyone else's here but what about those who use cracks without buying it? And if you say that there is only a low percentage of people who abuse the "system" ... are you just saying thats okay because Microsoft still gets paid well? If I had worked years on a product, I wouldn't want some guy taking all of my hardwork because of some non-existent protection. I think the next step would be for microsoft to require a cd-key just like any other product. What sets this one apart?http://www.darkstarorder.com/SigFinal.jpgKen Weik [link:maam.org|MAAM-SIM][link:library.avsim.net/search.php?CatID=root&SearchTerm=kenneth+weik&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Go=Change+View]My AFCADs

Guest dsflyer

Not saying it os OK to renegade on anyones software at all (it is not)., just that Microsoft are more than covering there costs.How much is windows XP these days (at least one hundred bucks). And if you are running two PC's you have to pay for a duplicate licence(forgive me if i am wrong on that).Hardware comes down in price, cars do etc., but Ms are bucking the trend here thats all.,

I'm just saying comparing real customers with Warez and thiefs is not correct simply because one *uses* a modified/cracked/made easy EXE file for use with a *purchased* game. Even Microsoft did not make a big deal out of the community using this modified exe OR they would not have mentioned it in the update at all unless you believe they wanted to give directions to the dishonest folks. It's not un-ethical to a user to use it in my opinion, maybe in a developer's opine but that is subjective. Ken (bless his heart ;-)) states an official Avsim policy but I can bet that most if not ALL developers and users have used the modified EXE for convenience. We all know it's the truth even though most will not state this out right..Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | NEC LCD 1980SXi 19" | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro |