Sign in to follow this  
PIC007

Another one bites the dust

Ryan, not sure what you mean, unless your views are messed up. I have been flying since 1970 and every plane I have flown I can see the entire panel just fine  :-)

Seeing over the panel works fine unless the dev has screwed it up, and I know of a few who did, but its easily fixable. Seeing outside left or right works as well, but I didnt start this thread to compare the merits of one against the other, there has been plenty of that in the past.

My goal was that somewhere out there in the devs world some might take notice. One can hope

Jay

I'd venture to guess PMDG will lose less than 1% of sales on their B777 to people who won't buy because no 2D panel.

I think it would be closer to .1%

my Airbus 380 in xp10 comes with an amazing 2D Panel and also a 3D VC.  Pics below are the 2D

Nacht_zps1ac4fc34.jpg

OH_zps8cf45192.jpg

I find 2D Panel quite funny, it's like you are flying with a piece of wooden board in front of your face.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I always find the 2D panels to be too clunky to use in FSX as they take a long time to load, but it's the opposite in FS9 with regards to VC textures.

An example would be the Level-D 767. In FSX I have never used the 2D main panels (except the FMC/Radio panel, simply because the VC is so low res) whereas in FS9 I always use the 2D panels except during takeoff, landing or taxiing.

Glad to hear that Ron, I have a lot of your planes already and will continue as the need arise's :-) More devs should take note, in fact with ES and QW, I hardly fly any other planes now, and I own most of the 'top shelf' ones, they are hanger queens at this point.

Thanks, the logic of including BOTH is to us quite simple. 2D haters don't have to use them while 3D haters don't have to use 3D either.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

So I go to buy the Carenado TMB 850 and what do I see in very small print....NO 2D cockpit. Put my credit card away and saved my money. Thats 3 down, including PMDG and Capt Sim, no 2D, no money from me.

For you VC addicts, dont bother, I dont like the VC, dont use the VC, dont care about the VC, dont like TrackIR, and really don't care to hear for the umpteenth time that 2D cockpits are a thiing of the past.

There are still many developers who dont shoot themselves in the foot and those I will continue to support.

Amen...I'm w/ you

really don't care to hear for the umpteenth time that 2D cockpits are a thiing of the past.

Well the trouble is, that's accurate and true.

spacer.png

So I go to buy the Carenado TMB 850 and what do I see in very small print....NO 2D cockpit. Put my credit card away and saved my money. Thats 3 down, including PMDG and Capt Sim, no 2D, no money from me.

For you VC addicts, dont bother, I dont like the VC, dont use the VC, dont care about the VC, dont like TrackIR, and really don't care to hear for the umpteenth time that 2D cockpits are a thiing of the past.

There are still many developers who dont shoot themselves in the foot and those I will continue to support.

And you know what really annoys me - car manufacturers that will insist on installing five or six speed gearboxes. Why they couldn't have stuck to four speed gearboxes is beyond me...

I used to use the 2D cockpit exclusively and didn't like the VC. But I slow transitioned to VC and now that I have TrackIR it makes using VC's a lot easier. Sometimes I do use the 2D cockpit though.

Since aircraft addons are increasingly becoming more and more taxing on our PCs, I believe developers should include both types of cockpits because 2D cockpits offer a much better performance.

Cheers!

Fulcrum One Yoke / FSProjects Airbus Side Stick, Honeycomb Bravo, Slaw Device RX Viper V2

Intel i9 10900K, EVGA 3080Ti FTW, 32GB RAM

my Airbus 380 in xp10 comes with an amazing 2D Panel and also a 3D VC.  Pics below are the 2D

Yeah but that view is totally fake.  You wouldn't see that entire thing from the left seat.  That's why I don't like 2D.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

OP, you really should look at the SDK and read up on how to make your own view in the VC.  Almost any VC view can be made to be no different than a 2D view.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

How can you use an airliner 2D panel anyway?  You can only fit a tiny amount of gauges on the screen... at least if the perpsective is realistic.  How can you see outside?  This was one of the things that annoyed me with 2D panels.  Always having to "change seat height," the poor FOV representation offered by looking straight on at a 2D panel.

I use 2D popups normally for FMS and or radio/GPS but that's about it.

It's interesting how you don't see how one can use an airliner with a 2d panel. I prefer 2d panels for my tubeliners, but I prefer VC when I'm in a GA flying VFR. There's no doubt that the VC looks better, but the functionality is not that good, because the camera moves a bit and the clickspots moves as well, so it can be hard to find the exact spot to click to be able to adjust the MCP, radios etc, especially when you consider that you're a single pilot flying a multipilot plane. Not only do you have to do everything yourself, you also have to fight the interface with it's camera head movement. However, when I fly a GA VFR I'm never using the autopilot, I always got one hand on my stick and another on my throttle. I don't need to fiddle with the MCP, so VC works great. That's why I prefer 2d for airliners, especially complex ones and vc for GA

vatsim s3

1133704.png

Yeah but that view is totally fake.  You wouldn't see that entire thing from the left seat.  That's why I don't like 2D.

Your looking at a monitor!......Fake