Sign in to follow this  
bönan

Ocean textures appears in "blocks"!

This is highly annoying when I'm flying over water... I'm using REX, the same bug occurs no matter what ocean textures I select. Any suggestions? All FS9 settings are maxed out.

waterissue.jpg

IMHO it's a never solved bug or glitch of FS2004
Always at dawn or sunset ... you will have this ....
Sometime it's solved by refresh but if you move in external view some blocks will come out again ....

Aha, dang... But I don't see this only at sunset, on a recent London - New York flight in full daylight I saw this all the way!

Aha, dang... But I don't see this only at sunset, on a recent London - New York flight in full daylight I saw this all the way!

Yes, me too, during the day, and all the way.

I never managed to get rid of this.

It is not a bug or a glitch, it is how FS9 is designed to work.

In the area close to the plane the sim will display detailed textures. This area is obvious if you zoom out in top down view and is commonly known as the "Iron Cross".

Outside of that area FS displays lower resolution textures to lessen the burden on the sim. Remember this sim is old and today's hardware was not available back then.

Over the ocean the low resolution textures are actually colors, I believe, and are set to match the default textures. Addon textures make this visible difference worse IMO.

The only "fix" is to reduce visibility.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The only "fix" is to reduce visibility.

It's a half fix ... it will work on daylight ... but not on dawn and  sunset .. :)

I have a 30 miles visibility .. and no probs at daylight (and I use also Soft Horizon free addon)

Dawn and sunset hours .. blocks are there :)

I think there are some FS9 config settings to change the draw distance.  Perhaps some of the technically savvy folks here can speak to that.  A friend helped me solve this exact problem without hurting FPS by making the config change for me.  I'll try to get some pics of it.

Here is the result of extending the draw distance or radius in the FS9 config.:

Screenshot32_zpsd6f0bb6b.pngScreenshot33_zpsf82d2ea5.png

Guess this is a somewhat poor photo to use since it apparently has a corrupted file making the brown water patch.  Ignore that and just look at the horizon, which shows that the program is at least drawing all the way to that point with these settings.  I'll not bother to post another picture.