Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

FSX on seperate partition?

I once had a virus that destroyed Windows. My sim was on partition drive F: and my C:documents and settings where all the other sim files are kept was unaffected.

I deleted all the Windows files to allow a clean install of Windows. got everything back relinked a few things here and there but the sim worked first time without anything having to be done.

So now I have in effect a sim that's not in the registry!!!!!!!!!!

You also don't have SimConnect installed.

You also don't have SimConnect installed.

Why would I want simconnect when I use FSUIPC!!!!!!!!!!

Because about a million and one add-ons use the, native to FSX, connection called SimConnect. 

What about fragmentation of files? It's easier if they're kept on a seporate volume.

Chris.

Christopher Bell.

And you would not have the correct drive letters and paths in the Windows registry.

And you would not have the correct paths in the scenery.cfg file.

Perhaps you do not read what others write carefully.

No to both.

You would have the correct ones.

As I said above, after the file copy, you swap drive letters, so you give to your new partition the original drive letter of your original FSX partition.

Nothing changes on drive letters and paths.

Adding a drive as you posted means that the original drive letter is not available. See, I read things closer than you think.

Because about a million and one add-ons use the, native to FSX, connection called SimConnect. 

Really!!!!! Wow, one learns something new every day!

Adding a drive as you posted means that the original drive letter is not available. See, I read things closer than you think.

The previous poster is correct.  If I am transferring studd onto a new disk them it has the same or more partitions.

Everything on the old disk is copied onto the new so the structure stays exactly the same as before.

ccb777, on 27 May 2013 - 7:31 PM, said:

What about fragmentation of files? It's easier if they're kept on a seporate volume.

Chris.

Defragmenting a smaller partition is faster than an entire drive, but do not defragment a SSD.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

The previous poster is correct.  If I am transferring studd onto a new disk them it has the same or more partitions.
Everything on the old disk is copied onto the new so the structure stays exactly the same as before.

Switching out a hard drive is different than adding a hard drive.

Of course the original drive letter is available, if you un-declare it (umount) first.

Then you assign it to the new drive.

Switching out a hard drive is different than adding a hard drive.

It is exactly the same, if the drive that goes out, does not contain the system partition.

OK, lets try with a picture:

Before:

Partition or drives:

C D E........ect.

FSX is installed on D.

Purchase a new hd and install it.

It becomes F.

If you move FSX to F the Windows registry still thinks it is on D. Yes I know what you are going to say now, If you empty D of everything you can then re-letter it to G and that frees up D for the new.

If a person doesn't understand how to manage all this alphabet soup, then it is best just to re install FSX.

ive tried to install fsx 3 times already to my F drive and it keeps installing to my programfiles 

please help!!!

1. Feel free to start a new thread next time.

2. Do a Custom Install and type in F:\FSX next time. No, the directory doesn't need to exist ahead of time. FSX will create the directory.

OK, lets try with a picture:

Before:

Partition or drives:

C D E........ect.

FSX is installed on D.

Purchase a new hd and install it.

It becomes F.

If you move FSX to F the Windows registry still thinks it is on D. Yes I know what you are going to say now, If you empty D of everything you can then re-letter it to G and that frees up D for the new.

If a person doesn't understand how to manage all this alphabet soup, then it is best just to re install FSX.

No  need  to 'empty D of everything"....just open Disk Management and assign the old D drive to another unused drive letter. Assign the new adrive to  D.

I have been in the process of moving and swapping drives/partitions after installing first an additional 2TB 7200 RPM drive on my system along with the original 240 GB SSD and 2 500 GB 7200 RPM drives.

I then added a new 500 GB SSD and moved my Addon Scenery to a new partition (J) on the 500GB SSD as well as the OrbX files on their own partition (O).  These new partitions get mounted in the now-empty Addon Scenery and OrbX folders in my FSX folder. (X:\FSX)

I've just completed adding P3D on the 500 GB SSD (R:\P3D) and now have the P3D Addon Scenery folder on J: also mounted in the empty P3D Addon Scenery folder.

For OrbX in the P3D Install, I first installed it (under a new user account) and after all the setup was

done and FTX Central was P3D-sopecific, I nremoved all the "FTX_<region>" folders and created links to the same folders in my main OrbX drive (O:) That saved me about 90 GB of space on the 500 GB SSD by not having to duplicate all those OrbX folders. The folders that contain 'install specific' stuff remain in the P3D folder (Scripts and a couple of other folders).

Here are the commands that I used to create my links (junctions) for the P3D OrbX install:

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\Weather O:\Weather

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\FTX_AU O:\FTX_AU

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\FTX_EU O:\FTX_EU

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\FTX_GLOBAL O:\FTX_GLOBAL

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\FTX_NZ O:\FTX_NZ

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\FTX_OLC O:\FTX_OLC

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\Effects O:\Effects

mklink /j R:\P3D\OrbX\FTX_NA O:\FTX_NA

The thing is, you can do a lot of 'customization' with a little imagination, enough drives or drive space and a 'plan'. Swapping drive letters is a simple procedure that is fully supported by the OS.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

well i got it now i just need to figure why only some of my payware airport buildings are popping up instead of all of them doing that