Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Best AI traffic solution?

I'm using UT2, it injects lots of GA traffic and I had to cut the GA traffic down to 50% just so I could communicate with ATC in high traffic areas.  I think the most unique aspect of UT2 is that commercial traffic does not just fly from point A to point B, but actually follows routes and schedules. 

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

With MTX 5.4b Pro you can also use MTX Live and this will load current real world commercial schedules everytime you start FSX.  MTX Live is a subscription though.

I for one have had very bad performance with UT2, but only a very small FPS hit with MTX

The performance issue is due to the fact that the vast majority of UT2's models and repaints are MUCH more detailed and look FAR superior than whats included in MTX or Traffic 360.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

The performance issue is due to the fact that the vast majority of UT2's models and repaints are MUCH more detailed and look FAR superior than whats included in MTX or Traffic 360.

This may very well be true, but that was definitely not my point in the above post. I just intended to point out that performance of AI addons depends on the personal setup, one simply can't say that A outperforms B on any machine!

And, since you already mention the quality, I'd like to say that I don't care if every single plane has the correct unique registration (which I think only UT2 does) nor do I want to see that the a rivet is half an inch too far on the right in this or that plane at the price of slideshows at most addon airports (which was my experience with UT2) - I want crowded skies and more or less realistic traffic at airports. I don't care if the models look like they were from FS8, as long as my FPS aren't affected! Besides, I believe that UT2 misses a lot of Soviet built aircraft as well as military AI.

I like UT2 a lot, I just don't like the fact that I have to manually update liveries and so on. I just don't have the time to fiddle around with flight plans and models/liveries. I wish they've had more complete and constantly updated package.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

On the other hand, that does allow you to keep liveries you like from before (think JAL's Landor "Arc of the Sun" livery as opposed to their new Tsurumaru v3.0 livery which is just a bland mess)...

And, since you already mention the quality, I'd like to say that I don't care if every single plane has the correct unique registration (which I think only UT2 does) nor do I want to see that the a rivet is half an inch too far on the right in this or that plane at the price of slideshows at most addon airports (which was my experience with UT2) - I want crowded skies and more or less realistic traffic at airports. I don't care if the models look like they were from FS8, as long as my FPS aren't affected! Besides, I believe that UT2 misses a lot of Soviet built aircraft as well as military AI.

UT2 does have unique special liveries which with some airlines can make a large impact on what you see at any given airport (Southwest, Horizon and Ryanair for example) but it's more than the quality of the repaint, it's the looks of the model itself.

You're correct that UT2 doesn't include Military, I personally wouldn't want the MTX military models in my sim which is why I use MAIW. The Russian UT2 models are the same poor quality ones used in MTX just not as many variants.

The beauty in having the choice I suppose. If you don't care that the ai looks horrible but populates the skies with less impact then all is good. It's like flying the PMDG NGX over the default 737, I'll take a bit of a performance hit to maintain the quality of my sim.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

In the end I went with My Traffic as I believe it suited my needs best with minimal manual intervention.

Sometimes the model quality bothers me though, are there any "custom" models you can replace the default with that are better quality at all?

I also have MT X pro 5.4, and love the immersion it provides when flying in/out of remote locations and seeing obscure regional liveries.

I also want to point out some errors in what most people believe regarding the traffic slider when used in MTX pro. MTX doesn't start placing fictional flight to fill the airways as the slider goes up.

This is straight from Burkhard himself

100%, you will see every flight that files information the last 48 hours, so it may be you see a flight that took place yesterday if it is not daily.

At 50%, you will will see every flight that files information the last 12 hours, so you may start to miss a flight that left Sydney but has not reached Los Angelos Air Space yet - there is nothing in between recording the location.

At 30%, you will will see every flight that files information the last 4 hours, so the precision of the matching between truth and simulation will be high, but it will start that a significant number of flights just is missing.

At 10%, you will will see every flight that files information the last 29 minutes, so what you see is extremely realistic BUT you are almost blind unless you are in a region that is very well covered by surrounding ATC - so NYC or London will be very good, but LAX as example not since it is a local spot between the sea which is not covered and a barely covered desert.

This is only valid though if you use MyTraffic Live, no? Considering it's an additional paid service, I didn't add it in my summary and rather went for how the slider works with default MyTraffic X. I remember reading somewhere that if you don't use MyTraffic Live, it pours more "virtual" flights in based on real world data after 40%. 

This is only valid though if you use MyTraffic Live. Considering it's an additional paid service, I didn't add it in my summary and rather went for how the slider works with default MyTraffic X. I remember reading somewhere that if you don't use MyTraffic Live, it pours more "virtual" flights in based on real world data after 40%.

That's not where his quote came from, it was regarding MTX pro. My traffic live adds real time cancelations, delays and changes of AC. My traffic live uses live data (which needs Internet connection) for population of AC while MTX pro compiles flights based on previous known flight plans around the world which I believe right now is 6 months old.(MTC 5.4c is coming out shortly, which will be a free update.)

Have to add for people who may be considering this purchase, My traffic live is an extra module to MTX pro, to add delays, cancellations and changes to AC in real time, due to weather or equipment problems. The initial purchase is good for 6 months of real time data. I am unsure as to what it costs for subsequent 6 month coverage. I don't use my traffic live, but I can see where this would be useful for airliner pilots, to get the most up to day traffic available for fsx.

I'll give an example.

If you are flying from Toronto at 21:40 you should see Emirates AB 380 flight EK242 leaving non stop to DXB (1830 next day arrival) regardless of if you select 100, 50, 30 or 10% in the sliders. But you will only see it land in Dubai (if you create a new flight at DXB ) if you select 100% since the flight is over 14 hours long (50% gives previous 12 hours of fligt plans)and MTX will only generate flights based on your slider selection.

With my traffic live, if the same flight (in rael life) gets rerouted to Paris, you should see that plane in Paris airspace roughly around real time, but again would depend on your sliders. Without my traffic live, the flight would continue to DXB.

Yeah however MTX Live covers only limited amount of airlines as far as I know, or I don't know if only some areas. I think Mytraffic does have quite accurate flightplans for most major airlines but many smaller ones seem to be flying quite old routes. 

Yeah however MTX Live covers only limited amount of airlines as far as I know, or I don't know if only some areas. I think Mytraffic does have quite accurate flightplans for most major airlines but many smaller ones seem to be flying quite old routes.

I don't doubt that it doesn't have every single regional flight plan up to date, but it still has over 5000 liveries, (more than 10x more than traffic 360) and with 820 000 daily flights MTX pro is the best out there.

I don't doubt that it doesn't have every single regional flight plan up to date, but it still has over 5000 liveries, (more than 10x more than traffic 360) and with 820 000 daily flights MTX pro is the best out there.

Yeah well I guess Mytraffic is the easiest solution for AI traffic, personally I got tired of kinda rough AI models and not having proper control over what liveries / models airlines operate as quite many of them were indeed outdated, thus UT2 fits my needs better as it gives me very practical full control over everything. 

I think adding new airlines is quite a bit easier with UT2 too.

The beauty in having the choice I suppose. If you don't care that the ai looks horrible but populates the skies with less impact then all is good. It's like flying the PMDG NGX over the default 737, I'll take a bit of a performance hit to maintain the quality of my sim.

That's exactly why I prefer MTX!

When it comes to more complex aircraft, I consider the possible hit worth it, same applies for sceneries! But I think that taking a noticable hit (on my system less than 10 FPS with UT2 compared to more than 20 with MTX at FlyTampa LOWW at the same settings is obviously too much a difference!). On the other hand I don't mind the 2 or 3 FPS the MD-11 takes away from me.

Sorry for being off-topic.