Sign in to follow this  
mrb32854

New 320.18 Nvidia Driver toxic to FS9?

Has anybody tried to update their FS9-PC's to the latest 320.18 Nvidia Driver?

Seems to have a real negative effect on FS9, doing something to the elemental shading/lighting/reflection-rendering properties of the sim.

- Default 172SP's and other default plane’s rotating-icons on the entry-screen seemed to have an overall shadow, with only the doors, float-struts, and seemingly random control-surfaces retaining their correct shading/lighting/coloring aspects, giving the planes an all-over haphazard two or three-tone effect.

- This effect from the start-up screen’s rotating icon’s carries through to the 3d-game -world; all over normal coloring/shading is shadowed or otherwise darkened, and the same selective lightening for doors, struts, random parts of the control surfaces was evident, too.

- Happens to non-default planes, too.  My Aerowork King-Air had its normally overall bright-white finish dulled down to an almost light-gray.   Only the doors retained their normal bright-white shine.  Also, the ailerons, flaps, and one of the horizontal-stabilizers and elevator were a silvery natural-metal, being neither the dulled/light-gray or original white.  A real 4-tone effect.

Reverting to the previous 314.22 driver was a remedy, but, I’d be very interested to learn if any other users had the same or similar experience.

No problem so far with mine! :rolleyes:

Same effects here:

The rotating default C172SP has a white door and a lot of other planes has strange lightning and shadow effects, kind of "Patchwork"!

I tried to install three times the driver but the effects remain; it seems the driver can not read correctly alpha channel textures.

I can only say , shame on Nvidia !

I can only say , shame on Nvidia !

There not going to optimize their drivers for an eight yr old program. Switch back to a previous version and goes to show "If it's not broke don't fix it! "

I have no problems, this driver increased performance of my FS9 something about 5-10 FPS

Peter

There not going to optimize their drivers for an eight yr old program. Switch back to a previous version and goes to show "If it's not broke don't fix it! "

Words to live by.

Has anybody tried to update their FS9-PC's to the latest 320.18 Nvidia Driver?...

.....Reverting to the previous 314.22 driver was a remedy, but, I’d be very interested to learn if any other users had the same or similar experience.

I had similar experience with 3.20 beta drivers.   Incorrect lighting and shading etc,  but they were very fast.   I reverted to the 314 drivers and all is ok.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Aware of the likely solutions, e.g., roll back to an earlier driver, and, that Nvidia is not going to burn-down the gates in a race to solve the issues in an old game/sim.

Still, I like to find out if others are finding similar behaviors/problems as their experiences often can help me map out a solution, or, at least, a work-around.

I installed this set a couple of days ago, and found it has given be across FS9/FSX/XPX---25 to 33 percent greater FPS in any situation.

Simply amazing, we finally cashed in on the FPS wagon!

I also want to say that I have no issues or graphic anomalies with 320.18.  Everything looks as good, as with the last certified driver suite.

If somebody is having issues, and also is running the EVGA Precision X software, you have to unlock it from auto-start in windows, reboot, and then do a CLEAN install of the nVidia suite. Then, you fire back up Precision X upon your reboot after you had installed the driver suite, and click the 'start with Window's mask once more. This might be what is causing some to see graphic corruption with FS9.....  Make sure you use the CUSTOM mask on the nVidia install so you can pick what you want to install, and most importantly, that you click on the 'do a clean install' before you run the installer.

Sesquastoo:

Tried everything you suggested, and then some.....still getting same 4-tone effects with this driver.

Hey!
No problems here at my place with FS9, that 320.18 driver seems OK to me.
Greetz
Jive1

• Upvote 1

Sesquastoo:

Tried everything you suggested, and then some.....still getting same 4-tone effects with this driver.

I can't figure out why you would have issues, whereby so many of us, merely installed, and enjoyed. Could it be your settings within nVidia Inspector?  Try removing nVidia Inspector from your system, then shut down. Re-seat your card...in your PCIe slot.  Fire up your system again, and see what gives. If you get satisfying performance, then reinstall  nVidia Inspector, and set it up to your pref's. See what happens then.

Hey!

No problems here at my place with FS9, that 320.18 driver seems OK to me.

Greetz

Jive1

For a lot of people...they did a clean install, rebooted, and carried on.....

No problem with the new 320.18 driver on either FS9 or FSX in fact both look at lot better. :smile:

John Funnell

scap_b777.png  NAX8096.png

Have seen some weird texture changes,i kicked mine into touch!