Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Default altimeter 29.91?

I am the topic creator, it is my topic. If you don't like the fact that 29.91 is not the default altimeter then go start your own topic complaining about it.

You sound like a spoiled child who is threatening to take his toys home because we disagree with you.

It was your topic until you decided to post it in a public forum.  You cant have your cake and eat it too.

This is my opinion.  If you don't like the fact that I have an opinion about your post then go start your own topic complaining about it.

The fix is a one word change. Instead of rounding down with INT, they need to round to the nearest integer with NEAR. This can usually be done by hacking the model file but is not trivial. I had to do this on a Carenado aircraft.

This is the offending code:

Altimeter Calibration Knob (%((A:KOHLSMAN SETTING HG, inHg) 100 * int 100 / )%!6.2f! in Hg)

Change int to near, needs to keep the same spacing so you'll lose a space somewhere.

The problem is that it shows a certain carelessness on the part of the developer. It really should be fixed.

Hook

The problem isn't a rounding error. You can set 29.92 easily enough in inHg mode. The correction changes in discrete 0.01 inHg steps. However if you select STD the sim sets 29.91. It's wrong and should be fixed.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I noticed this bug as well and it can matter for some other external applications.  For instance, the logging and post-flight grading in Flightsim Flight Keeper (FSFK) has a default .01 Hg tolerance, including STD mode.  Besides, after all these years of simming, it bugs me looking 29.91.  :P

I hope MJC fixes it - if nothing more than just on principle.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

On a humourous note though...the difference is actually a little less than the height of the main door sill so it really makes no real difference as the aircraft deviates much more than that in light turbulence... :-D

Or: Just adjust the altimeter to 29.92 with the little knob. :D

If you were using QNH, that would be the huge difference between QNH 1013, and QNH 1013.

Of course if one was flying in N America and ATC gave the altimeter setting as 2992 one could always reply "Negative cannot comply!"

What's an altimeter?

You use it to cook porridge on the tops of mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's an altimeter?

the clue  is  in the name itself  (alt   meter)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

"Real pilots don't press B" - my next bumper sticker!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

29.92= standard pressure, what's the problem with fixing this?

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

29.92= standard pressure, what's the problem with fixing this?

Nobody is saying it shouldn't be fixed.

Just that it's a very insignificant issue in the grand scheme of things, and that even if it wasn't fixed it's no big deal.

Takes literally a split second to adjust from 2991 to 2992 yourself.

Majestic have obviously noticed this themselves, of course they have, they have spent countless more time testing the add-on than we have.

If Majestic have the time, and deem this to be important enough to fix, then I'm sure they will.

How this thread has gone on for two pages, god only knows.

29.91 doesn't equal 29.92..lol 2+2=5

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

Or here's a wild idea, stop caring that it's 0.01 in. Hg off standard, turn it up to 29.92 and carry on with your flight like I do :)