Sign in to follow this  
felipeturbay

Where can I see my flight plan in a map?

hello guys,

Is there a good free-cost website where you can input a flight plan (i.e. waypoints and airways) and then see it in the map? something like google earth?

I am getting my flight plan from RouteFinder, but there is not map in here. The other one I have tried is SimRoutes, however it seems that it is more restricted to certain routes (for example i cannot find any flight plan EDDS-EDDM..)

Thanks!! 

I use www.simroutes.com and www.skyvector.com. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Didn't know about Plan G...looks nice.  Does it support SIDs,, STARs and have approach plates?  Simroutes supports SIDs and STARs but then builds the points directly into your flight plan so you can export them to FS.  I use SkyVector for an initial idea of a route and, also, for the approach plates.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Skyvector: http://skyvector.com

It's free. But be aware that you cannot export (yet) the flight plan to FSX or anywhere for that matter. You can build your plan as you see fit, it is manual (understand not automatic) and fun to use.

FlightSim Commander (payware) is one of the simplest ways to put a flight plan together and follow yourself along the route.  You can combine the sources suggested here -

Go to Routefinder and generate the route.  At the bottom of the page copy the part of the route between 'SID' and 'STAR'

Go to SimRoutes and generate your flight plan - enter your departure airport, select the SID, enter your arrival airport, select the STAR.  Paste the middle portion of the route provided in Routefinder into the 'routes' box (make sure the spaces are preserved) and export your flight plan (if you leave the 'routes' box blank you will get a direct route and do not need to do the 'Routefinder' step at all - everything can be done in SimRoutes if you are going direct or if you otherwise know the route).

Open the route downloaded from SimRoutes in Plan-G.  You can also load the route into FSX (so your autopilot can fly it for you).  You can then connect to Plan-G - your aircraft will be displayed and will move along the route as you progress. 

Note that SimRoutes is out of date - SIDs and STARs are not the current ones but you can still use the plates from skyvector.com or airnav.com.  Another advantage of FlightSim Commander is the ability to update the data base.

thanks guys for you input so far! does any of you have Active Sky 2012? I am expiriencing some deviations with the flight plan generated by for example SimRoute vs the one given in Active sky... here you can add waypoints, however most of them are not able to be found... So I am seeing the Weather Gauge with the default route from Active sky and end up flying far away from the visual route...

thanks for any comments!

Does FS Commander include SIDs/STARs/Approaches for Europe and other places outside the US? 

Gregg Seipp

Does FS Commander include SIDs/STARs/Approaches for Europe and other places outside the US? 

Yes, as long as Navagraph provides them.

Yes, as long as Navagraph provides them.

So, when you buy it, you have to get a Navigraph installation at the same time or does it come with a (fairly current) set?

Gregg Seipp

The AS flight planner uses the FSX database and other places/sites/programs may not.