Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Navigraph charts on iPad?

I just bought a Nexus 10 tablet (wanted something better than IPad ;-)) which of course is Google with Android. For the US and Canada I use Aircharts.org. Go to the mobile link at the top and it works as an on demand chart viewer. On the mobile link it brings up a touch screen keypad to look up charts with. Just need to find something like this for Europe

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Eric 

Hi all, to anyone who wants to use the Navtech/nDAC charts on his iPad, I recommend getting the Good Reader app (cost me not even a buck!). I print my charts to .pdf using bullzip, rename them accordingly and then put them on my iPad via iexplorer. This is what it looks like. Feels totally like the real thing, I'd go as far and say it's almost as good as JeppView.

uyw6lm5s.png

If anyone is interested in if they should take the plunge on buying charts cloud subscription, there's a somewhat long review/overview of the charts service on the iPad on YouTube.  There's not too many in-depth reviews, but this will give you a view of how it operates, and looks, and the ups and downs of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_WIPs6TsU

Regards,

Nelson

I found charts rather painful to use on a first gen iPad as the Safari page would often crash or freeze when zooming or scrolling pages. I recently upgraded to the iPad Air (not the very latest one with the fingerprint access but the previous model) and the experiece is a lot more enjoyable. All round the Navigraph charts subscription is a must have for any serious simmer.

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Navigraph charts look ok but in the demo I saw its missing all the RNP plates.. For Australian airports anyway.

Is this the same across the board?

Or do you guys just not bother with RNP approaches since they are a bit boring anyway?

Or do you guys just not bother with RNP approaches since they are a bit boring anyway?

A lot of charts will be tailored to each operator and having seen a couple of different iPad apps for those carriers, a lot of them vary from one to another. You're right about RNP approaches being boring though - where's the fun in the LNAV/VNAV button?  :lol:

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

A lot of charts will be tailored to each operator and having seen a couple of different iPad apps for those carriers, a lot of them vary from one to another. You're right about RNP approaches being boring though - where's the fun in the LNAV/VNAV button?  :lol:

Yeah, I've heard RNPs great for saving fuel, allowing airlines to stay in idle from TOD to touchdown. But we don't pay for fuel do we :)

It was your training vids that made me investigate Navigraph actually. I'm still on the fence.. it would be nice to have a single source though instead of going through 10 different shortcuts to find the charts I need - and the different formats that each country has their free charts in.

Do you find the formatting of the charts in Navigraph cloud fairly consistent between locations? Or do some areas have Jepp charts stored whereas others might have other provides or even the free AIP charts stored?

If it's consistent, it would be nice. Even if RNP are not included.