Sign in to follow this  
sac601

Want to go FSX from FS9 but need help on some issues.

Hi everyone, I really want to go to FSX from FS9. Here's my present situation. Computor is no problem. I have the latest that technology can get. I have FS9 on C Drive and FSX on D drive by itself. No problem at all with FS9. FSX I get out of memory on long flight. Here's a few questions:

1- How can I pur HIGHMEMFIX=1 fix to fsx.cfg. Where is fsx.cfg? I can't find it.

2- I have GO-FLIGHT set for FS9 and FSX but it work only with FS9 and not for FSX (Only throttle work for FSX

3- I have the Tracking IR5. Work fine with FS9. I go Virtual view at airport and taxiing howewer during flight I prefert 2D as I fly long flights. In FS9 easy to go from VIrtual to 2D however I can't do it on FSX. When I go back to 2D on FSX, my view is still on VIrtual. Any thing I can so to fixe that or it is FSX?

4- Is there anyone that I can pay to set up my FSX by distance computer connection. I am ready to pay the price.

Thank you all in advance for your help. Please understand that I really want to go to FSX so each one of your help would be so much appreciated. This is why I love Flight SIm because of all the nice people involved.

Al

1- How can I pur HIGHMEMFIX=1 fix to fsx.cfg. Where is fsx.cfg? I can't find it.

It should be in D:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (assuming you run FSX under Win Vista or 7, the path in XP differs slightly I believe).

I'm afraid I cant help you more than that, but there sure will be others who can.

What version of Windows? 32-bit or 64-bit? How much physical RAM? A suggestion: If you're going to ask for help, it would help people trying to assist you if you'd put your system and simulator specs in your profile. :smile:

In WIN-7 the fsx.cfg file is here: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\

Not that it matters a great deal where you put the HighMemFix entry, but I have mine here:

[GRAPHICS]

HighMemFix=1

This may or may not help you with your OOM issue. OOMs are usually related to the user putting too many demands on FSX's maximum 4-GB virtual address space -- that is, no matter how much physical RAM you have, FSX can only use 4-GB because it's a 32-bit program. This 4-GB can fill up rapidly if you have sliders at max, use intricate scenery (ORBX, FTX, FSDT, Aerosoft), fly complex aircraft like the NGX, and run hi-resolution cloud textures -- all of these have to fit within the 4-GB that FSX is capable of managing.

As a side note, some say the HighMemFix isn't even necessary if FSX is running within a 64-bit OS. But, when it comes to tweaking FSX, there's as much lore as fact, so know that a fix that works for one user may not work for you.

Achieving a relatively crash-free FSX can require a considerable amount of work in balancing program, CPU (overclocking) and GPU settings. It can be a bit overwhelming but there are plenty of us who've managed to do it. So, I also suggest you start by reading and following Word Not Allowed's "FSX/P3D Software and Hardware Guide" (<-- Google that) as a baseline for setting up your system to handle the demands of FSX. Once you've done that you can begin to make adjustments to small things that still aren't working well. Post your questions here or in specialized forums for GoFlight and TrackIR, though I think almost every question that could be asked about FSX has already been posted somewhere. So, the truth is out there, and like Scully & Mulder, you just have to find it. :smile:

- Jev McKee, AVSIM member since 2006.
Specs: i7-2600K oc to 4.7GHz, 8GB, GTX580-1.5GB, 512GB SSD, Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System, FSX-Acceleration 

It should be in D:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (assuming you run FSX under Win Vista or 7, the path in XP differs slightly I believe).

I'm afraid I cant help you more than that, but there sure will be others who can.

I think you mean C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX because "C" will still be the system drive.  

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Thanks everyone again.

COA1117 I have Window 7 64 bites. I will try to go slowly and check stuff as you said. I am not a very good computer wizard so I will try little by little.

Regarding fsx.cdg, no ware to be found however I used FSXCfg editor and found it. 

Al