Sign in to follow this  
19AB67

Centre fuel tank switches ON?!

Hi folks, 

whenever the the centre fuel tank is not empty after refueling, the centre fuel pump switches are set ON. 

Is this a feature of the aircraft, or a little tweak of PMDG in order to ensure that the Centre fuel tank gets empty first? 

If the latter is true, this is a kind of help we jockey actually don't want, do we? 

Thanx in advance. 

Andreas Berg
pmdg_j41_banner.jpgpmdg_trijet.jpg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Is this a feature of the aircraft, or a little tweak of PMDG in order to ensure that the Centre fuel tank gets empty first?

I think it was designed that way by PMDG. The real NG does not automatically change the switch position.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Even better. With less than 1000kg in the centre tank, you should have the pumps off for takeoff in most SOP's that I'm aware of. (so you don't empty the tank before the Climb checklist ;) )

I think it was designed that way by PMDG. The real NG does not automatically change the switch position.

Then I kindly request that this "feature" be removed. I want to manage the switches myself.

Dave P. Woycek

Then I kindly request that this "feature" be removed. I want to manage the switches myself.

Right. 

Captain Randazzo, 

please remove it from all models 737NGX, 777...   8^)

Andreas Berg

PMDG 737NGX -- PMDG J41 -- PMDG 77L/77F/77W -- PMDG B744 -- i7 8700K PC1151 12MB 3.7GHz -- Corsair Cooling H100X -- DDR4 16GB TridentZ -- MSI Z370 Tomahawk -- MSI RTX2080 DUKE 8G OC -- SSD 500GB M.2 -- Thermaltake 550W --

Right. 

Captain Randazzo, 

please remove it from all models 737NGX, 777...   8^)

It was added a while back, and there was already several forum discussions about it.  You can still manage the pumps yourselves - just flip the switches on, or off.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/361988-center-tank-fuel-pumps

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/368039-possible-of-fuel-pump-bug

Even as someone who normally goes on rants about realism and proper procedure, I feel that it's not that big of a deal.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, I love your new signature! :P

Kyle, I love your new signature!

Thanks Thomas - I figured it was necessary, as I tend to get adverse reactions.  Haha.

Kyle Rodgers

It was added a while back, and there was already several forum discussions about it.

Damn, I have checked for earlier threads... to no avail...

Even as someone who normally goes on rants about realism and proper procedure, I feel that it's not that big of a deal.

I agree, but why not omitting an extra piece of logic, if nobody asked for it? 

Andreas Berg

Damn, I have checked for earlier threads... to no avail...

The two more prominent posts were linked in my post above.

I agree, but why not omitting an extra piece of logic, if nobody asked for it?

I'm with ya, to a certain degree.  I don't think there's a real need to have it there, but I also don't think it's worth it to go remove it.  I think it was an effort made to eliminate the issues of those who wouldn't bother to read the manual pertaining to fuel loading/use.

Kyle Rodgers

The two more prominent posts were linked in my post above.

Yup, I've read them now. I wonder why I haven't found them by the search function on Sunday. 

but I also don't think it's worth it to go remove it.

True. Hope they haven't spend the effort to implement it on the triple seven. 

(N.B. Have you had the time to check the 777 braking action screenshot in Capt. Randazzo's thread, I mean the allusion a pecularity? If so, please answer there  8^)

Andreas Berg

The 777 is more automated than the 737. Center fuel pumps turn off automatically when empty I believe? They might turn on as well.

Center fuel pumps turn off automatically when empty I believe?

Depends on what's installed in the aircraft. There are birds that require the crew to turn off the center fuel pumps when the message "FUEL LOW CENTER" EICAS message is displayed. Some may automatically shut off.

They might turn on as well.

Not automatically. If there is more than 10,500 pounds of fuel in the center tank, the crew is to turn on the fuel pumps. If there is less than 10,500 pounds, the fuel pumps are turned on above 10,000 feet.

In some other birds, the fuel pumps are turned on if there is fuel in the tank.

If the message "FUEL IN CENTER" message appears, the fuel pumps are to be turned on.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

it is realistic if you put gas in the center tanks the pumps need to prime

grenade launched, leaving now!

Eric W

This was posted here a while ago.

NsUXNVB.jpg

Although I really don't see a point in leaving one pump on and the other off, because it creates an imbalance in the main tanks.