Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I really like the weather...

Although a bit more limited in features (cloud variety, temperatures aloft) than P3D/FSX, X-Plane10's weather feels overall better when it comes to wind variability / shear, turbulence, and even some aspects of cloud coverage.

Terrain effects on winds, and the mechanic elevation that takes place near the ridges/slopes is also a native feature of X-Plane's weather, not requiring an external weather injector. The effect of slope wids is very plausible. It would be great if winds of this type, as well as thermals could be "canted" by the wind...

Icing effects are also better, although they require some tweaking given the fact that aircraft accumulate ice proportionally to their weight, which makes ice accumulation unrealistically fast and drastic on bigger models...

Radar echoes are also realistic in X-Plane, and that's another advantage, and a very usefull one to teach prospective pilots what they really shouldn't do / get into...

Honestly the clouds not moving with the wind is a feature that I do not really consider important. I prefer to have the volumetric clouds, and their associated characteristics.

Was missing it :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Honestly the clouds not moving with the wind is a feature that I do not really consider important. I prefer to have the volumetric clouds, and their associated characteristics.

I feel the same. Although moving clouds would be nice, what happens in the cloud is more important than what happens to the the cloud. However, I'd welcome a more realistic set of colors for clouds.

with all the amazing payware/freeware lately.....I completely forgot about the "moving cloud" issue :lol:   REX or another DEV will fix this issue 1 day....i'm not in a hurry, been busy flying the awesome goodies available. :Party:  :Peace:

I feel the same. Although moving clouds would be nice, what happens in the cloud is more important than what happens to the the cloud. However, I'd welcome a more realistic set of colors for clouds.

And if you are flying through the clouds, you won't even notice that they aren't moving ... because you are travelling through them (or nearby to them) with 100 or even hundreds of knots. If they would move with 20 kn or with 0 kn - visually no difference.

In XP9 the moving clouds were nice to make a timelapse video - that's all ^_^, no really reasonable function for the flight simulation itself.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

And if you are flying through the clouds, you won't even notice that they aren't moving ... because you are travelling through them (or nearby to them) with 100 or even hundreds of knots. If they would move with 20 kn or with 0 kn - visually no difference.

In XP9 the moving clouds were nice to make a timelapse video - that's all ^_^, no really reasonable function for the flight simulation itself.

Exactly! It's the kind of feature that, given the complexity of X-Plane's clouds, would only cause a headache for those without top machines!

On the other hand, the effects of the cloud turbulences, precipitation of various types, etc... , which are a lot more important to simulate, are all there.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The one I'd like to see since I used to face it all the time when I lived in Michigan is better visual representation of icing. Some of the high end models in fsx were starting to do this.