Sign in to follow this  
TexasGary

MSVCR80.dll Crash

I had been using the PMDG NGX with TrackIR 5, FS2Crew, Radar Contact, and GSX with no problems for a long time.  Then one day, during the  preflight portion of the flight where the FO is do his cockpit setup routine, FSX crashed with the message "FSX has stopped working."  The Faulting Module was MSVCR80.dll.  Initially I chalked it up to just a random FSX crash.  But then it kept occurring, at the exact same point in the flight.  Almost always the Faulting Module was MSVCR80.dll.  I thought this was odd, since I hadn't installed any programs or made any significant changes to FSX.  The crash never occurred with any other aircraft, so I thought maybe it was a problem with the NGX or FS2Crew.  So I uninstalled and re-installed these, but the crash kept happening.  Then I read a lot about the MSVCR80.dll crash being due to a problem with the C ++ Redistributable Programs  I have the following Redistributable Programs on my PC:

2005 8.0.61001
2005 8.0.56336
2008 x64 9.0.30729.4148
2008 x64 9.0.30729.6161
2008 x86 9.0.30729.17
2008 x86 9.0.30729.4148
2008 x86 9.0.30729.6161
2010 x86 10.0.40219

I want to uninstall and re-install some or all of these programs.  When I look on the microsoft.com website, there are alot of Redistributable Program packages available for download.  Does anyone know Which ones I should uninstall and re-install for a Windows 7 64 bit PC?  Should I only uninstall and re-install the 2005 versions?  If so, which ones do I need to download? If this doesn't work, does anyone know what else I could try?  Any help very much appreciated.

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

Here's the latest MSV2005 - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26347.  FSX developers used MSV2005 to properly install FSX.  The 32 bit version is required as FSX is a 32 bit program (in a 64 bit environment if you installed Windows 64 bit version).  When FSX and FSX addons run, they look for a certain version of MS Visuals.  Acceleration used the MSV2005 for installation too but it should have been the 2005 SP1 version.  It is a must people install SP1 after installing Acceleration or there could be issues.  If you install the latest at the link I mentioned, it includes SP1.

Most FSX developers used Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 to properly install their products.  Here's the latest - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26368.  And, just in case your 2010 version is out-of-date, here's the latest version of that very important program (PMDG is now using the 2010 version) - http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=26999

Microsoft Visuals are not backward compatible.  You need 2005, 2008, and 2010 to run FSX properly.  There have been many people who have uninstalled the 32 bit versions and only installed the 64 bit versions and there FSX suddenly stopped working properly.  There is no need to install the 64 bit versions of this program as none are used by FSX or any FSX addon.  You could need them for other programs installed on your system, like Microsoft Office but these are installed on your system when you install the program if the installer does not see it installed. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thanks for the quick reply!  Since I already have the 2005, 2008, and 2010 versions installed, do I just run these Service Packs to update my existing versions?  Or do in need to uninstall and reinstall?  Thanks for your help.

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

Jim, thanks for the quick reply!  Since I already have the 2005, 2008, and 2010 versions installed, do I just run these Service Packs to update my existing versions?  Or do in need to uninstall and reinstall?  Thanks for your help.

Just install on top of your current versions.  If they are already up-to-date, the installer will tell you the version is already installed - do you want to continue.  You can go ahead and update or cancel out and go to the next update.  Just make sure you install the x86 versions.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

As a follow-up, reinstalling the Redistributable Program packages didn't fix my problem.  I finally resolved it by reinstalling FSX and all my addons.  Thanks again for the assistance Jim. 

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

Thanks for the update.  Sorry the updates to the MSV's did not fix your problem.  MSV's are used by developers to make sure the program (FSX or any addon) is installed the way they developed the product.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM