Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Help...Uninstall of Patch failed horribly.

I hope you can help me or I will have to completely uninstall FS9 and start over again.I kept reading about the details of preparing to install the patch, and after I had done it successfully, I thought I'd make sure. So, I tried uninstalling it according to the directions on the Microsoft site. However, I think I inadvertently interrupted the process, and proceeded too quickly to the next step of uninstalling the backup before the uninstall was complete.Now, after 2 "restore" attempts, I cannot reinstall the patch. I get this message after it starts:"The original file Scenerygenericscenerygeneric.bgl is either missing or has been changed from its original state. The update cannot continue and will now exit."How can I restore this file and perhaps others I may have lost during my "botched" uninstall/reinstall attempt. I should have left everything alone, but no......I had to be sure the patch was applied correctly.

For heavens sake, don't uninstall FS9. That is a total pain in the rear. Look at CD-ROM 3. Select MSGAME8.CAB, Copy generic.bgl to the Genericscenery All of you original files are on your disk. Good Luck,Scott

Scott,Thank you for the hope....I opened disk 3 and game 8 but I don't see the name "generic bgl". Sorry for my ignorance, but do I copy the whole file somewhere? Please tell me the exact procedure for this. Thanks again...it means a lot. Stan

Guest Bob_Jones

Stan,as Scott says, the Generic.bgl is in the MSGAME8.CAB file on disc 3, and you copy that to *:your fs install/Scenery/Generic/scenery folder.Hope that helps. Regards,Bob Jones

You need to use an unzipping program to view the *.cab files. Secondly, remove the BACKUP folder from the Flight Simulator 9 folder prior to reinstalling the update.W. Sieffert

Thanks everyone...I'm back in business. Found the elusive generic.bgl and all is well now. Decided to use the #4CD instead of my FS9Crack....even though the crack worked. I assume that there is something in the patch that needs the original exe. Besides, I wanted to use the update to Active Camera. Thanks again.