Sign in to follow this  
Dr Vesuvius

Let's Fly! (new Flight Simulator Let's Play series)

Good day, all

I've just started a new series on YouTube entitled "Let's Fly". While many of you are producing some visually stunning videos, I wanted to do something more like the "Let's Play" videos you see for a lot of computer games. The aim is to try to convey some of the fun that can be had with "serious" flight-simming. For the first flight though, just to shake out the cobwebs, I do a simple short hop from my local airfield at Barton to Liverpool John Lennon airport in a C-172

As I mention in the video, I only really started simming last year, and am just coming back to it now after an enforced break of about six months, so I'm pretty rusty. I'd genuinely appreciate any constructive criticism from more experienced flyers. Hatin', rantin' trolls need not apply.

Regards

Dr V

Good job, I'm waiting for episode 2, thank you

Bom trabalho, estou esperando pelo episodio 2, obrigado.

João Alfredo

It is impossible to please Greeks and Trojans

É impossivel agradar Gregos e Troianos

Thank you, João.  I'm working on Episode 2 now, it should be posted by the end of the week.

Obrigado, João. Eu estou trabalhando em Episódio 2 agora, deve ser publicado até o final da semana.

Best wishes

Dr V

Episode 2 is up, and this time we fly to an exotic holiday destination...... Blackpool!

With luck these videos should be coming out every Monday and Friday for the foreseeable future.  As I'm regaining confidence in the cockpit you should be seeing some more interesting aircraft and scenery coming soon.

Enjoy

Dr V

Nice job.   At first I thought to myself "default C172.... why?" but then after watching the vids, it reminded me that the default C172 is actually one of the best default aircraft MS ever made, and worthy of a trip to Blackpool!  :smile:

Look forward to more of these.

Hi Dave

There are two main reasons for using the C172 in these first videos.  Firstly as I say in the video, I'm getting back into flight simming after a six month break and am very, very rusty, so a basic, easy-to-fly bird has helped me ease back into things.  Secondly, I'm hoping that as the channel grows it'll draw some attention from outside the flightsim hobby (maybe from the other games I play on there) and possibly inspire one or two new simmers to give it a try.  In that case, I want to keep things as easily accessible as possible so that newcomers can dive right in and be doing the same sort of flights in the same sort of aircraft without too great an investment of time and money.  That means focussing on the default aircraft and some of the better quality freeware out there.  PMDG airliners are nice to aspire to, but not exactly wallet- or newbie-friendly!  

Don't worry though, I will be mixing things up a little bit and delving into my incredibly modest collection of payware aircraft for one or two flights that I have in mind.  Do please stick around and feel free to offer any constructive criticism you may have.

Regards

Dr V

Just finished watching the first video, really enjoyed.

Just few tips, for more enjoyable flights:

1. I noticed you are struggling with maintaining pitch angle, use trim to relieve pressure from stick and reduce workload. 

2. In cessna 172 it's common to take off without flaps, you can use flaps 10 for takeoff, full power before release brakes, and you get a short field takeoff.

3. You might consider relieving engine power for cruise, 2100rpm is usually enough.

4. That landing was awful because you pitched to avoid trees, so your speed fall under 60knots which can be very dangerous irl. You should just apply power and aircraft would naturally pitch up without any pitch correction. Remember, "pitch for speed, power for altitude". 

5. You can land with any flaps position in cessna 172, I think most common is 20.

Thanks for the tips, g_precentralis.  That's exactly the sort of useful feedback I'm looking for.

I had to go back and watch the landing again because I didn't remember messing it up, but you're absolutely right, I did pull back on the yoke a little clearing those trees, though luckily not enough to cause a stall.  Funny thing is, I actually talk about the "pitch for speed, power for altitude" thing in the video, so I should have known better!

Thanks again.

Dr V