Sign in to follow this  
joolsd

Instrument Check, F/O not understanding heading

With the insrurment check. I just wondered why the F/O just dosen't understand the headiing check, but he does understand the altimeter setting.

For example.

ME: HEADING TWO SEVEN ZERO  pause Altimeter 1018

F/0 HEADING ZERO SIX ZERO  pause Altimeter 1018

I tried this a few times, with the same results, by going back in the check list?

Hi Julian,

Try increasing the pause time slightly and check the green par to ensure the system is hearing you correctly.

The trigger for the FO to say the next checklist item is "Altimeters XXXX"

Heading is not a trigger.

Cheers,

I also used to have this "problem" until I understood what the check was all about. Are you sure your reading the correct heading? Its not the heading you set on the MCP, it's the one on the EFIS you should read.

When you hear the FO read back a different heading than you, check your EFIS, he probably reads that one back(in this case 192)

Of course, I could be mistaken, wouldn't be the first time:-)

Ryzen 9 5900X || Gigabyte RTX 4090 Windforce 24G || G.Skill TridentZ 32GB@3600CL16 || Asus ROG Strix Gaming-E X570
XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB M.2 NVMe || Corsair iCUE H115i PRO XT || Phanteks Eclipse P500A D-RGB || Phanteks Revolt Pro 1000W
Gigabyte 43'' FV43U 4k@144hz || X55 Rhino || G27 || Oculus Quest 2 || Turtle Beach Velocity One

Thank you,Bionor, you are are right there. A major misconception on my part about what the check is all about. So it is the 'actual' heading and not the MCP heading select we are checking. GOT IT!