Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

How do I know my trim is properly set? (in GA aircraft)

I was just curious, but, what clue do I have in FSX that my trim is set right if I am using a GA aircraft?

best done by feel

eg If your cruising and everytime you let go of the control column you get a nose drop then just trim for nose up until the aircraft will maintain altitude hands free

this principle works for rudder and aileron as well but its the elevator you will use the most

ZORAN

Yup, the whole point of trim is to relieve the pressure on the yoke/stick and rudder pedals. B) Of course without force-feedback, the force is constant, however it's still possible to trim in a fairly realistic way so the plane stays in level flight when you release the yoke.

First, hold the plane level with the yoke/joystick, *then* trim.. Avoid releasing the yoke and then trimming, otherwise you'll be flying the plane with the trim rather than with the yoke. In real life, you would feel the pressure getting lighter as you trim - with a non-FF yoke you have to actually move it toward the center detent while you trim.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Yup, the whole point of trim is to relieve the pressure on the yoke/stick and rudder pedals. B) Of course without force-feedback, the force is constant, however it's still possible to trim in a fairly realistic way so the plane stays in level flight when you release the yoke.

First, hold the plane level with the yoke/joystick, *then* trim.. Avoid releasing the yoke and then trimming, otherwise you'll be flying the plane with the trim rather than with the yoke. In real life, you would feel the pressure getting lighter as you trim - with a non-FF yoke you have to actually move it toward the center detent while you trim.

Withou force feedback - Set your attitude and as you trim, slowly centre the yoke. In a real plane the trim will hold the yoke in it's place (it won't centre)

You will notice that if you centre your yoke before the trim is correctly set your attitude will change. So the idea is to trim & centre at the same time while maintaining nose attitude until the yoke is centred.

Hope that makes sense :P

Diego

I am glad someone asked this question though doesn't solve my problem. I can't quite get the trim to work. Though I adjust it by the smallest increments, it always over corrects - either the nose starts pointing up or down on the C337. So eventually I get tired of playing level the plane and just do the entire flight holding the yoke :( Not sure what I am doing wrong. I know the adjust increments are small because I Iook at the trim indicator. Is it because I am at almost max power? Eventually I cheat if the flight is too long and put on altitude hold.

I am glad someone asked this question though doesn't solve my problem. I can't quite get the trim to work. Though I adjust it by the smallest increments, it always over corrects - either the nose starts pointing up or down on the C337. So eventually I get tired of playing level the plane and just do the entire flight holding the yoke :( Not sure what I am doing wrong. I know the adjust increments are small because I Iook at the trim indicator. Is it because I am at almost max power? Eventually I cheat if the flight is too long and put on altitude hold.

your doing something wrong with it. What button do you use? mine is the top of the joystick where I can work at the elevator and the trim at the same time

ZORAN

Some FS planes are notorious for having overly coarse trim - a button press moves it too far. Honestly, a real plane is easier to trim since it not trimmed in button push steps like we're limited to.

Does the trim button in FSX have that repeating action whereby if you move it a little but repeatedly it ends up jumping in large increments? Maybe worth checking that that is untitled in the key bindings if you're having trouble setting trim accurately.

Check your control settings and play around with the repeat settings for the trim.

Diego

Though I adjust it by the smallest increments, it always over corrects

Go to your aircraft.cfg file and search for an entry that will read something like "trim effectiveness" (it's there, keep looking).  BTW, always, always, back up your cfg file before making changes.  Change the effectiveness to maybe half of the original setting.  My Eaglesoft Piper Twin Comanche needed the effectiveness changed from "1" to "0.2" before a useful and believable trim was found.  Test and try and change as you go.  You will never find a trim setting that will closely approach a real world trim control but you will find a useable setting.  Best of luck :-)

Cheers, thanks everyone - lots of really helpful suggestions! Hadn't thought of these before. Will try it out tonight when I load the sim. Hopefully should be resolved soon using at least one of the options above :)