Sign in to follow this  
shannonsomford

FSX crash in 4 minutes

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me out. I don't know what to do. I recently reinstalled fsx and got a crash whenever I want to fly. 

Fsx crashes within 4 minutes can't even taxi to the runway.. 

I got this information from the event log.

Naam van toepassing met fout: fsx.exe, versie: 10.0.61472.0, tijdstempel: 0x475e17d3
Naam van module met fout: API.DLL, versie: 10.0.61472.0, tijdstempel: 0x475e180d
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
Foutoffset: 0x00014db9
Id van proces met fout: 0x162c
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01ce5adac8aae9df
Pad naar toepassing met fout: D:\Flight simulator x\fsx.exe
Pad naar module met fout: D:\Flight simulator x\API.DLL
Rapport-id: 02c8f2bd-c6cf-11e2-aac8-c86000c6517a

Hope you guys could help me out on this.

Systems:

i7-3770k 4.7 ghz

GTX 680 2gb sc signature

Dominator platinum 2133 mhz 2 x 4 gb

Sabertooth z77

Installed a bunch of addons and I get a decent fps of 30 and in dense area's 15-20.

I get this error too.

Naam van toepassing met fout: fsx.exe, versie: 10.0.61472.0, tijdstempel: 0x475e17d3
Naam van module met fout: terrain.dll, versie: 10.0.61472.0, tijdstempel: 0x475e180d
Uitzonderingscode: 0xc0000005
Foutoffset: 0x000ac180
Id van proces met fout: 0x704
Starttijd van toepassing met fout: 0x01ce5ae003697d95
Pad naar toepassing met fout: D:\Flight simulator x\fsx.exe
Pad naar module met fout: D:\Flight simulator x\terrain.dll
Rapport-id: c6489256-c6d3-11e2-aac8-c86000c6517a

The API.dll is an indicator that you are close to running out of memory (or maybe you did).  OOM's can only be fixed by lowering your settings.  Or, maybe, the following link might be of interest to you - http://forum.avsim.net/topic/389704-fsx-oom-apidll-patcher/.  You can have 80 fps and higher and still get an OOM.  High settings in FSX leads to disaster.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The link works for me.  Strange.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The link is unfortunately not working.. But I will try something with the OOM error

You can take a look here, especially my second post related to OOM's: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407468-ctds-with-ezdok/

You can actually keep your settings high, but you need to apply a couple of tweaks and lower resolution.

Anyway i recommend you to use some good gudes for FSX, Word Not Allowed's guide for FSX settings and tweaks, and Nick N. guide for windows 7 and FSX installation

P.S. You can tell us more about your system...

And Jim, i tested that api patcher, as usual when something new appears related to fsx  ^_^

i don't recommend it. Microsoft fix is better, in combination with resolution tweaks. I didn't get OOM for more then a year, with Word Not Allowed's high settings, even when i fly long-haul with PMDG, REX, AS2012, ORBX, FSDT, Aerosoft etc

And Jim, i tested that api patcher, as usual when something new appears related to fsx

i don't recommend it. Microsoft fix is better, in combination with resolution tweaks. I didn't get OOM for more then a year, with Word Not Allowed's high settings, even when i fly long-haul with PMDG, REX, AS2012, ORBX, FSDT, Aerosoft etc

I don't recommend it either.  I just wanted to bring the link to his attention as there is a lot of information related to the api.dll and the attempts to fix the OOM problem.  I appreciate your assistance with the OP.  I have also been receiving OOM's lately for some unexplained reason and will try your Microsoft fix (I might have done that some time ago but I forgot I reinstalled Windows 7).  I definitely do not recommend Word Not Allowed's high settings but I was able to change the LOD_Radius to 9.5 once and ran fsx without any problems for a long time.  Then I started getting unexplained crashes and I knew exactly what it was.  The settings are there for anyone to try though and users just need to be aware that Word Not Allowed's settings do not work for every system/user.

Thanks B247NG! It's working for. Hopefully I can fly non stop now  :lol:

Glad you were able to get your problem fixed.  Did you fix it by using the link to the Microsoft fix?

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I don't recommend it either.  I just wanted to bring the link to his attention as there is a lot of information related to the api.dll and the attempts to fix the OOM problem.  I appreciate your assistance with the OP.  I have also been receiving OOM's lately for some unexplained reason and will try your Microsoft fix (I might have done that some time ago but I forgot I reinstalled Windows 7).  I definitely do not recommend Word Not Allowed's high settings but I was able to change the LOD_Radius to 9.5 once and ran fsx without any problems for a long time.  Then I started getting unexplained crashes and I knew exactly what it was.  The settings are there for anyone to try though and users just need to be aware that Word Not Allowed's settings do not work for every system/user.

I'm trying for some time to find best settings for FSX stability, and i like FSX troubleshooting :)  

That setings i have listed in another thread are actually my conslusion after more that 1 year without OOM and no CTD with my last installation(a couple of months). I had a very few CTD's with old installation caused by addons errors(like when installer overwrites the FSUIPC or broke my DLL.XML).

Besides that fix, it's good to limit texture resolution to 2048 in fsx.cfg and use DXT optimized textures where is posible, for REX clouds.  I would keep LOD and Texture Bandwidth at default values. Also, LOD and cloud draw distance - you don't need to set it higher then AS2012 max visibility for example. It's all about balance. 

Microsoft fix helps, it gives you some more MB before OOM. But i think we can get rid of OOM's adding some more settings i suggested in the other thread), and keep sliders high. I don't mean tweaks, like increasing LOD and Texture Bandwidth - I mean FSX sliders maxed out. 

I'm waiting with great interest to see if that will work for you too

Regards

I'm waiting with great interest to see if that will work for you too

So far the Microsoft fix works but my LOD_Radius is only at Max (4.5).  I have MegaSceneryEarth for almost the whole USA and they recommend a LOD_Radius of 7 or 6.5.  I also have my Texture_Max_Load at 2048 but may now try 4096.  I was getting an OOM with just a basic fsx.  I couldn't even turn on weather.  I think in my case, the reason for the issue was the fact I had not reinstalled the "Fix" and I have so much MSEarth stuff that it continues to load in the background and is taking away needed resources.  I started looking for other possibilities for the OOM's until I saw your post and got reminded of the fix.  I thought something happened to my system memory or SSD to slow things down but I just tried a flight that I know crashed whenever I loaded it plus I loaded AS2012 for the first time in a long time and no OOM.  Plus the fps stayed mostly above 20 right from the start.  From now on, if anyone has an OOM I'm recommending this Microsoft fix to the heap.  Thanks again.

I still will not max out my sliders though.  I don't think Microsoft made FSX to work to have all sliders maxed (i.e., it's not like games made by Steam).  I think your video card needs some breathing room to render the textures FAST to reduce stuttering and blurries and think maxing out everything can only make rendering much harder especially if you have your display driver settings set to max too. 

I might note that I have DX10 enabled too which is a performance enhancement with more eye-candy and I recommend everyone employ that technology as most of the anomalies the Microsoft developers left with us have been fixed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Well, i can't speak about DX10... I tried once this year, but i didn't managed to get smooth sim, like i have in DX9. Anyway, i'm glad that microsoft fix has solved OOM's :)

There are too many settings and tweaks for fsx to work properly, i forgot some of them too, with my last re-install, and added some of them later, when problems appears. Becouse of that, i allways make a backup of the last stable version with acronis.

Regards