Sign in to follow this  
garymcginnis

Weird FS9 Blurry Behavior

You need to set Anisotropic Filtering Mode to "User Defined/Off" and Anisotropic Filtering Setting to "16x".

@@neumanix

This right here ^

That is why I posted this to get more eyes on my issue. Such a simple fix (User Defined)..... had totally missed it.

Will try with 4X and 16X; didn't really notice a difference. Now if I could just figure out this: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407963-screen-flicker-during-weather-update/ I'd be a very happy camper.

Thanks to all,
Gary

@@neumanix

This right here ^

That is why I posted this to get more eyes on my issue. Such a simple fix (User Defined)..... had totally missed it.

Will try with 4X and 16X; didn't really notice a difference. Now if I could just figure out this: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/407963-screen-flicker-during-weather-update/ I'd be a very happy camper.

Thanks to all,

Gary

Awesome that you got it fixed!  That's what the forums are for--to get all hands on deck helping!

I have my aniso filtering set at 16x but I've never really seen a huge difference in the higher levels.  FS9 looks very good with it and I remember the first time I got a card that supported it, how my FS9 world changed.

These entries from my fs9.cfg are optimum for scenery display:

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

They provide the best realism and have the best impact on memory.  I arrived at them after a lot of trial and error and forum browsing.

John

@@Cactus521

I will probably end up trying those now that we've located the issue as to why none of the .cfg tweaks seemed to make a difference. I just hope with those settings and the fix, the sim doesn't stutter like it did before. Right now I'm at 3.5/4.0/232.

Great active forum guys; just wish I could fix my other issue :angry:  B)

Gary 

@@Cactus521

I will probably end up trying those now that we've located the issue as to why none of the .cfg tweaks seemed to make a difference. I just hope with those settings and the fix, the sim doesn't stutter like it did before. Right now I'm at 3.5/4.0/232.

Great active forum guys; just wish I could fix my other issue :angry:  B)

Gary 

There are odd places in the sim where I get a stutter, all the time.  Like taking off out of Glendale Muni in Arizona, as soon as I look towards downtown Phoenix, I get a brief stutter.  Also, as AI approaches and loads more detailed textures, I'll see a stutter from time to time.  But generally those moments should be rare.  Away from the major cities my FS9 performance is awesome.  If Carenado ever releases their B200 for FS9, I'll buy it and enjoy FS9 more.  They probably will.  For the time being, I fly FSX when I want photoreal scenery (with Tileproxy), and FS9 when I want a lot of company in the sky.  I have FS9 saturated with aircraft from WOAI--it's totally immersive and fun to share the sky with so much traffic.

John

@@neumanix @@Cactus521

Or anyone for that matter.....

I think this is now a by-product on fixing the first issue. If you look closely around 00:16 and then again around 00:25, you'll see that there is like a radius around my aircraft where the textures are very clear and just past them they are kinda blurry. The problem I'm facing now is the transition from blurry to clear. It is kind of abrupt and very annoying, plus is really detracts from flying low and slow. It is almost like a rolling wave in front of the aircraft. I've been trying different things over the past two days for at least a total of 3 hours and can't seem to make it go away. I even killed the fs9.cfg and it still did this.

Any idea of to get rid of the "wave" or make the change from blurry to clear happen further away from the aircraft and not so close? I even removed the HDEv2 HD ground texture and, while helping, didn't fix this issue. It is almost like a "popping" issue or something.

I'm at a loss at this point. I doubt this is one of "those things" we have to live with in FS.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151695598933179&l=4812122693376503604

Thanks,

Gary

@@neumanix @@Cactus521

Or anyone for that matter.....

I think this is now a by-product on fixing the first issue. If you look closely around 00:16 and then again around 00:25, you'll see that there is like a radius around my aircraft where the textures are very clear and just past them they are kinda blurry. The problem I'm facing now is the transition from blurry to clear. It is kind of abrupt and very annoying, plus is really detracts from flying low and slow. It is almost like a rolling wave in front of the aircraft. I've been trying different things over the past two days for at least a total of 3 hours and can't seem to make it go away. I even killed the fs9.cfg and it still did this.

Any idea of to get rid of the "wave" or make the change from blurry to clear happen further away from the aircraft and not so close? I even removed the HDEv2 HD ground texture and, while helping, didn't fix this issue. It is almost like a "popping" issue or something.

I'm at a loss at this point. I doubt this is one of "those things" we have to live with in FS.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151695598933179&l=4812122693376503604

Thanks,

Gary

A few things.  Make sure you use the settings I gave you below.  And by all means, make sure you enable anti aliasing in FS9.  I have attached a screenshot of my Nvidia settings.  Try them out, with AA enabled in FS9, and they will work wonders for you.  Also, if you don't have it already and you are not using a sky set, download my "Soft Horizons" environment set from Avsim's library.  It will give you the most natural transition from aircraft to horizon you can get, and it's free.  I've put a link to Soft Horizons in the bottom of this message as well.  Hope this all helps you.  You're close to FS9 Heaven!  Also I am adding a quick edit--make sure extended terrain textures is checked in FS9's display settings....

For all "444" is the key to terrain settings in the FS9.cfg.  It optimizes terrain clarity and memory usage when loading terrain textures.  Ask me how I know?  My FS9 experience and visual quality tells the tale.  I will post some FS9 screenshots shortly in the screenshots forum so you can understand.

NvidiaSettings_zpsea5fcbc9.jpg

TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=4

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4

TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004misc&DLID=111879

@@Cactus521

1) I tried your Terrain settings, no joy. I even threw a crazy number in of 10.0 for both and it didn't do a thing

2) AA in FS with enhance mode didn't work. Made it look very bad. Plus I noticed you have it set to "Override" in your settings above :)

3) I already use HDEv2...... it is not so much a transition between the ground and horizon, that is fine. The issue I'm having is the blurry to clear transition about a mileish in front of the aircraft as I'm moving.

Attached is the most current screen capture of my FS 2004 inspector settings. 

Gary

Hey Cactus, lots of misinformation in your last post.

That screenshot with Global settings wont do anything for FS9.

You should be using nVidia Inspector and the Program Settings for FS9, just like the OP has in the initial post.

And no, you should not use AA within FS9 when you are overriding the application settings.

Edit.....

Forgot to attach the picture as I got a phone call during the post.

I also have "extend texture terrain" selected.

What is this "444" you talk about?

Gary

Hey Cactus, lots of misinformation in your last post.

That screenshot with Global settings wont do anything for FS9.

You should be using nVidia Inspector and the Program Settings for FS9, just like the OP has in the initial post.

And no, you should not use AA within FS9 when you are overriding the application settings.

Here are my screenshots... No misinformation here.  I was on the beta.  FS9 works for me.  Not sure why it doesn't work for some.  The whole design of FS9 is around getting a natural transition of textures from the aircraft to the horizon.  The best approach to fix these issues is to default the Nvidia settings and then apply the settings I use.  Many people have used them and are staunch supporters of them.  My screenshots--bear in mind some quality is lost when converting them to jpg--I used about an 80 pct jpg quality in the conversion:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/409750-fs9-sample-shots/

John

Edit.....

Forgot to attached the picture as I got a phone call during the post.

I also have "extend texture terrain" selected.

What is this "444" you talk about?

Gary

It's just something I use for my terrain settings in the .cfg file based on a Microsoft post explaining them eons ago--can't remember the link to the post or whether Microsoft still has the blog up.  One thing to note about my Nvidia settings vs. yours I noticed.  Mine are global, yours are slaved to an FS9 profile.  Might be the difference, might not.  I haven't had a need for profiles, my global settings work across the board on all the 3D apps I use with one exception--AA works for me in FSX only for aircraft with mipped textures.  Don't ask me why.  Never figured it out. 

For the record, I do use Nvidia Inspector.  I usually just pop up the regular display settings because they contain the key values for my Nvidia setup.  As my system is set up, FS9 is very smooth--cinematic in fps.

Keep in mind, I also lock my fps to 30 and have other related settings to that in my FS9.cfg.  Locking the fps does help keep the textures clear.  As I noted in a previous post, my bad on the jpg conversion factor I used.  It ruined the overall quality of my pictures.  If you query the forum for my FSX screenshots, I have some shots saved off with better quality, most recently my "Napa to Reno" series.

John

@@Cactus521

That is how my FS looks too.... my only issue now (other then my screen flicker issue from another topic) is the "rolling wave" when the textures transition from blurry to smooth. I just need a way/fix to either a ) make the transition happen a lot farther from the aircraft and basically out of sight or b ) eliminate the "wave" all together.

This blurry to clear transition couldn't have slipped thru during initial release.

Re: 30FPS

I would LOVE to run my game at 30 FPS but there is a mean refresh/tear line that runs thru the screen every few seconds when I run it at 30 FPS. I corrected that with running the FPS higher or lower then 30 (still trying to find the perfect balance).

Gary

I guess another way to say it..... I need a much larger "clear texture" radius around my aircraft. That way I don't see the transition. I know this feature is out there b/c I don't see it in a FS videos and such.

@@Cactus521

That is how my FS looks too.... my only issue now (other then my screen flicker issue from another topic) is the "rolling wave" when the textures transition from blurry to smooth. I just need a way/fix to either a ) make the transition happen a lot farther from the aircraft and basically out of sight or b ) eliminate the "wave" all together.

This blurry to clear transition couldn't have slipped thru during initial release.

Re: 30FPS

I would LOVE to run my game at 30 FPS but there is a mean refresh/tear line that runs thru the screen every few seconds when I run it at 30 FPS. I corrected that with running the FPS higher or lower then 30 (still trying to find the perfect balance).

Gary

I guess another way to say it..... I need a much larger "clear texture" radius around my aircraft. That way I don't see the transition. I know this feature is out there b/c I don't see it in a FS videos and such.

Let me think on it a bit.  There was something else I did and I think I encountered the problem way back.  I don't synch my fps to my refresh rate, which may matter.  I'm pasting my Nvidia Inspector settings page to the thread.  Also an important edit--I don't use vertical synch in my Nvidia settings.  For FS9, it's not suggested.  That may be the cause of your tear line issue.

John

NvidiaInspectorsettings_zps7f649863.jpg

@@Cactus521

Yes please keep thinking...... if it is not one thing its another at this point. I'm beginning to feel like Air Force 1's MX crew. 3-5 hours of maintenance for 1-2 hours of flight. 

Re: Vsync

Trust me that is not the reason. I can't count how many hours I put into that issue. I was trying settings left and right, up and down. Almost drove myself nuts. Still wish I could run it at 30 FPS since it is so fluid. I even thought of going up to a 75Hz monitor (currently my Acer is 59/60) but was told that wouldn't help and I would have wasted the money in the process. I've settled on my current settings after hours of taxiing in circles and judging the smoothness of the movement off the terminal building at the default KSEA..... 30 FPS is so smooth but alas  <_<

Gary