Sign in to follow this  
jimmy64

Upcoming PMDG 777

Admittedly there probably this isn't an easy answer for my question, if there is one yet. Having skipped the 737NGX from PMDG in favor of the iFly 737 with an  installer for P3D, I'm considering purchasing the upcoming T7 from PMDG and using the migration tool that's been used quite effectively for the NGX. PMDG doesn't allow this but doesn't prevent it either. Does anyone know if a preventative measure will used by PMDG to disallow the installation of the T7 in P3D. If so, I may be exploring X-Plane sooner than I had originally planned, and go for the Vmax 777-200. My intentions have been to stick with one sim, but I simply must have at least one of these 777's in my hanger, and not a Captain Sim's.

James McLees

I have moved to X-Plane10 too, while also on DCS-World.

I did have the Migration tool, it worked, but it's definitely a violation of the EULA, and not something I want to do.

P3D is great, v2.0 may be interesting but, for the time being, I will not invest further in 1.4, nor in add-ons not fully P3D v1.4 compliant.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My initial feeling is if they did not code the NGX to not work with P3D, why would they put the effort into coding the 777 to not work with the sim. I could be wrong though.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I will not invest further in 1.4, nor in add-ons not fully P3D v1.4 compliant.

These were my thoughts as well, although I did use the tool for UTX/GEX as I had barely used those programs in FSX, just wanted my $'s worth. I bought the iFly 737NG and two "supported" airports from FSDT to fly a regular VA route with. While setting up my "FIRST" flight with my new "all developer supported sim", the Couatl engine on FSDT's KJFK version 2 crashed with the iFly 737 loaded. I tried default aircraft and had no problem. I then ported over a Carenado plane and it had no problem. I contacted support for FSDT and after some trials it was confirmed that the iFly 737 was causing the crash of Couatl, can you say "no refund!" (of the scenery from FSDT) Over to Flight1, they too recreated the crash of the scenery. I then got a support Email stating that they used a fresh copy of both products and did not experience a crash, they're now pointing the finger at yet another product. I then uninstalled UTX/GEX to see if they were the problem, they were not. So here I am with one commercial aircraft for P3D and two high detail airports and 1 month later have yet to complete an airline flight. Both developers pointing fingers elsewhere. So you see, right now, I couldn't care less about EULA's, I just want a working sim. FSX is another very long story, I think we all have those, but I've left it behind.

James McLees

Jimmy64,

I've had the opposite experience with P3D, I have FSDreamteam airports which are officially supported by P3D, AS2012 SP2 which also is officially supported. As long as you find A/C that are either made for P3D or the developer allows their use in P3D then it truly is a whole new sim. As far as flight1 products, they specifically code their products not to work in P3D even with migration tools. Whether users like or dislike this it is their decision. They say that sometime in Q1 of this year GEX for P3D should be coming out through Flight1tech.

Tom

As long as you find A/C that are either made for P3D or the developer allows their use in P3D then it truly is a whole new sim. As far as flight1 products, they specifically code their products not to work in P3D even with migration tools

The reason I bought the iFly is that it is allowed on P3D

http://www.flight1tech.com/Products/AircraftSimulations/737NGforPrepar3D.aspx

I didn't want to use the migration tool. I actually was trying to prove that I could move to P3D and not miss a beat, and have developer support.

James McLees

@T_Bergman

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy P3D. I have Carenado planes with ORBX scenery and REX Extreme textures and OPUS for weather. I much prefer using it to FSX. My issue is flying for my virtual airline. I regularly fly, KJFK to KLAX. These airports have VATSIM controllers most of the time I'm in the cockpit and it adds to the realism for simulating commercial flight. I'm catching flak from my VA buddies for abandoning FSX in favor of P3D, especially now that I'm not doing my route.

James McLees

"The reason I bought the iFly is that it is allowed on P3D"

But there is now  a problem ... The iFly737NG for P3D (payware) is stick at version 3.1 (since Feb 2013 I believe).

Their versions 3.1.1 and 3.12 (with many fixes) has only been released for their FS9 and FSX iFly737NG's.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

For VATSIM, I am using SB4. Its plug and play and I still get to enjoy the benefits of having ATC.

I am not knowledgeable about the ifly 737 for P3D, but in terms of patches, this may be something that could be requested/investigated on their forums. I can't see why a developer would only update the "entertainment" version.

Tom

"The reason I bought the iFly is that it is allowed on P3D"

But there is now  a problem ... The iFly737NG for P3D (payware) is stick at version 3.1 (since Feb 2013 I believe).

Their versions 3.1.1 and 3.12 (with many fixes) has only been released for their FS9 and FSX iFly737NG's.

Yep! That's why I returned mine :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I am not knowledgeable about the ifly 737 for P3D, but in terms of patches, this may be something that could be requested/investigated on their forums.

Normally this is how things should work, but in this case, support is only offered through a ticket with Flight1 tech. The iFly 737 for P3D is not supported by forums like the FSX version is. One is rather rudely asked to take the issue elsewhere. The rest of the flight sim community can't follow the progress. I can't even begin to tell you how many issues I've solved, just by reading forums! In fact, FSDT support was also reticent to offer public support, they wanted to handle the issue via Email. At any rate, both developers are looking at the problem, but I've been told that it will take considerable time. So once my bank account can handle another assault, I'll get the Airbus X Extended for P3D so I can do my route. Hopefully, it won't have issues!

James McLees

Out of interest, what was wrong with your FSX installation? Tbh my FSX runs better than ever.. CTD's are very rare (had one in 2013) I do not own any ORBX scenery however.. but I mainly fly airline ops, and it doesn't really matter that much to me how  the scenery looks from far above, when coasting a long. For low and slow flying I use AeroflyFS :P

Not looking to start an debate, but perhaps you are better of returning, if it makes you able to enjoy actually flying ? :)

Best Wishes

Out of interest, what was wrong with your FSX installation?

Having been an FSX user since the beginning, I have a great deal of experience with it. FSX was crashing far too often on my Windows 7 64 bit machine. Trust me when I say that I've applied all the fixes and changes to the cfg file known to the community, far too much for this post. The final straw was one morning, FSX would not even load, and this happened on a two month old re-installation. Flashing runways were also annoying, and I just can't be limited to DirectX 9. It's 2013, the program is outdated and now the developer is out of the game. With P3D, I have a richer environment, smoother frames, DirectX 10, no crashes except for this issue, without any changes to the cfg. This issue will get fixed, and more commercial aircraft are coming, and like this post started, my intentions are to migrate the PMDG T7. I don't care if PMDG doesn't support this as I have found most fixes on forums anyway. They are just protecting themselves for their own reasons and I seriously doubt that I'll get a summons for doing it!  

James McLees

@t_bergman

I looked at your start-up airline and noticed that you'll be using the J41. Have you migrated the PMDG J41 to P3D? If so, how does it perform?

James McLees

Out of interest, what was wrong with your FSX installation?

Technically nothing... but Prepar3D does bring some modest improvements to the table which "for the price of an addon" are difficult to ignore.

(Sidebar: Isn't it funny how we all now seem to compare the price of the platform against the price of addons? I see it with both P3D and X-Plane. Justifying trying either one because they "only" cost the price of a good addon.)

I very recently moved from FSX to P3D and like many others, I find the smooth and rich experience to be perceptively better than FSX. I never had any memory issues or CTD's with FSX, so my move was not inspired by problems, but I did want to evaluate the platform and low and behold (*at least for me), it lives up to it's reputation. I'm disappointed I didn't make the move sooner.

I don't have a zillion addons to worry about from a compatibility standpoint, and those that I do have are supported and/or functional in P3D.

P3D is certainly adding value to the educational process which is flight simming. Ahem.

With P3D, I have a richer environment, smoother frames, DirectX 10, no crashes except for this issue, without any changes to the cfg.

Just as a point-of-order, Prepar3D is strictly a DX9 application. They've refined it to work better and take more advantage of DX9's capabilities, but take note that P3D is decidedly not a DX10 app.

As far as the PMDG 777 is concerned, I'm not even entertaining that it would work with P3D. If it does, great, but in my own little mind I'm treating P3D as a great platform for my legacy flying needs - without expectation that it will work with anything new coming down the line. It's a good way to remain sane.