Sign in to follow this  
craigovlh

X-Plane FSX ?

Hi, I have always used flight simulator I don't get on it as much as I use too as production as stopped with flight simulator and Xplane seems to be the thing I was wondering is it worth me making the switch from fsx ??

what's  xplane like on the system ?

just wanting some advice really

thanks craig

I hear the FSX people gearing up and arming themselves getting ready to reply :O  :lol: .......I fly both and enjoy both.  XP10 does feel better and runs great since it's new.  Try it out 1 day.

I enjoy them both as well as Prepar3D

I'd recommend trying the X-Plane demo

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Just go to X-plane website, download demo version and try it for free!

Maybe will be better then fsx, one day. It's still work in progres, i'm waiting to see the first PMDG plane there :)

Maybe will be better then fsx, one day. It's still work in progres, ...

... like every software which isn't abandoned - even MSFS was "work in progress" :He He: : first FS1, then FS2, then FS3, FS4, ... , FSX. Windows ist work in progress, MS Office too, etc. smiley007.gif

As mentioned already by others, trying the demo is a good idea - and reading a lot in the forum here, to learn about the (for the X-Plane newbies) at first hidden, but after some research great FLIGHT simulation features.

And XP10 is already better than FSX in many * (not all) items.

* especially the not so obvious features at first view. Don't hesitate to ask ...

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

X-Plane10 has, appart from the present predicates, a lot of potential, the devs community is slowly but effectively turning their attention towards it, and, I believe that we will end up with the best civil flight simulation platform available, specially if P3D v2.0 doesn't do any changes to the ESP flight dynamics model :-/

If you're really a "civil pilot", want to fly around the World, using very good aircraft models and even better rotary wing, then X-Plane10 is the way to go!

If you don't mind flying over a more limited scenery area, with no RW weather, only military aircraft, but you're main goal is to have the most perfect flighgt dynamics model available for the PC, then  DCS World is the way to go...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'm installing XP10 as we speak er type...maybe I'll reply later on.

I'm installing XP10 as we speak er type...maybe I'll reply later on.

after you install it, you have to update it and install a lot more goodies available for free which you will need if you download any payware/freeware sceneries.

Hi Craig,

Best advice is to try the demo. X-Plane has many things going for it but you have to do some research. Anyways, no one says you have to quit one, to enjoy the other. Many people fly both.

You can ask questions here and read through this forum. Someone is bound to help you out if need be.

cheers,

You also have to give X-Plane a lot of time to get comfortable with it and let it grow on you if you have been used to FSX.

I am flying more and more in XPX64 and although there are things that I miss in FSX, still I am now loving XPX64 and rarely going back to FSX.

It takes time to get comfortable with the user interface, views, scenery, controls, etc., but once you understand it and get comfortable with it, XPX64 is a very excellent simulation, especially with the developers giving it so much attention now.

The other day, while using AirHauler for X-Plane, I flew XPX64 for 7 hours straight and loved it.

after you install it, you have to update it and install a lot more goodies available for free which you will need if you download any payware/freeware sceneries.

Yeah I knew I had to update it but what things do I need before I can install addons?

thanks

I think I mentioned it in the newbie post but newcomers to xplane are increasing so some stickies might be useful.

As for OPs question, I thoroughly recommend XP10, and that comes from a long term FS user. I got it last weekend, I'm still in the learning phase but after buying the Carenado Centurion 64 bit and downloading the free New Zealand pro scenery, I've spent much of my time in XP just gasping at how realistic everything can be.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I just used XPlane for 20 minutes and um well....I REALLY like it . I loaded up at a city in night in a storm and it looked superb.

I will post an in-depth topic later on

I do have one quite major problem...I cannot select any other aircraft in XP10. They are in the XP10 folder but in the sim XP10 is showing that there are no aircraft, I mean no drop down menu nothing. It just loads me up in the 180..?

When you start X-Plane the second time, you should get to a splash screen where you can pick the airport (left panel), an aircraft (next panel to the right) and the time of day and weather (right panel).

From memory, I believe the first start-up, you get a camera view from the clouds zooming into the aircraft.