Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Remember The Biggest XP10 Complaint?

XPlane 10 has no buildings in cities and airports....................A YEAR LATER :lol:

A321_1_zps8b2e2cfa.png

A388_14_zpsf74bb6cc.png

KingAirC90B_2_zps21fc067d.png

hundreds of addons free or pay...........it's awesome!  The 3 Pics above were all taken with FREEWARE SCENERIES :O

Awesome! Ordered it on the weekend. Can't wait for it to arrive!

You mean you didn't buy it in December 2011 when I did? Toronto looks very good now-I'll be happy when my part of the world is similar. Anyone heard from Muskoka?-he should be happy about Toronto as I know he did much early work on it 1.5 years ago. I don't think the complaints were ever about a lack of buildings which are and have always been plentiful, but the generic look, lack of unrecognizable landmarks of famous cities, and incorrect land class placement which frankly is still a problem in my part of the world. It is nice to see great freeware work emerging-I wish a pay ware package that would be helpful in this area in a large way would emerge-I'd be the first in line along with much higher mesh and hi res photoscenery.

Agreed with Geofa. In small areas XP10 looks great, but most of it still needs a lot of work. It can't be too much to add some autogen to airports and vary buildings by area. So far I'm just restricting myself to nice looking scenery (basically NZ!) but I'd love I fly where I live. Unfortunately Japan currently looks, erm, crap.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

If you apply addons, sure it can look great. But there's no variability in default scenery in different parts of the world, for the most part. Austin Meyer I believe admitted this in an interview recently, and it's something they're working on.

Yes FIVE!  Yesterday I went to DreamHeaven's site and downloaded the Portugal and Europe OSM + Autogen files. Placed them ( I believe in the right order ) in the ".ini" file under Custem Scenery and went flying around Lisbon. Whow!!!! What a difference from even older version of OSM I had!

But, strangely, there are other areas where we can notice differences, even if those weren't announced (or at least I was completely unaware of it...). Appart from the sensation that something was done in the core of the flight dynamics code, resulting in a bit more of stability that could account for the sensation that "the torque bug" is slowly vanishing... there is yet another interesting and very welcomed (for me at least...) finding! Apparently the lighting at dusk / dawn, one of my major complaints because of the irrealistic lighting I was seeing near Sun set / Sun rise times, was fixed!  I am making tests around the World and up to this moment all looks pretty plausible to me!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes FIVE!  Yesterday I went to DreamHeaven's site and downloaded the Portugal and Europe OSM + Autogen files. Placed them ( I believe in the right order ) in the ".ini" file under Custem Scenery and went flying around Lisbon. Whow!!!! What a difference from even older version of OSM I had!

But, strangely, there are other areas where we can notice differences, even if those weren't announced (or at least I was completely unaware of it...). Appart from the sensation that something was done in the core of the flight dynamics code, resulting in a bit more of stability that could account for the sensation that "the torque bug" is slowly vanishing... there is yet another interesting and very welcomed (for me at least...) finding! Apparently the lighting at dusk / dawn, one of my major complaints because of the irrealistic lighting I was seeing near Sun set / Sun rise times, was fixed!  I am making tests around the World and up to this moment all looks pretty plausible to me!!!

Coul you give the link of that site?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco Mateos

Nice pics, but that was never my biggest complaint about XP10...... my biggest complaint was that it hardly ran with an ATI video card; 10 FPS in small GA aircraft, in default scenery, where in a similar setting in another flight sim I reckon I'd have 110 FPS ! :smile:

I've still yet to find out whether the awful performance of XP10 with ATI cards has been properly addressed; every time I've asked the question in the XP10 community, I get very ambiguous answers. Shame as I was a big XP9 fan, but after buying XP10 on release, it got sold off due to the huge problem with ATI cards. :(

Q400_Flyer, that's weird; I ran the demo very smoothly on high settings with a 5870, not to mention your processor is much faster than mine as well.

Nice pics, but that was never my biggest complaint about XP10...... my biggest complaint was that it hardly ran with an ATI video card; 10 FPS in small GA aircraft, in default scenery, where in a similar setting in another flight sim I reckon I'd have 110 FPS ! :smile:

I've still yet to find out whether the awful performance of XP10 with ATI cards has been properly addressed; every time I've asked the question in the XP10 community, I get very ambiguous answers. Shame as I was a big XP9 fan, but after buying XP10 on release, it got sold off due to the huge problem with ATI cards. :(

Hi there. 

I have an ATI 7970 (factory OCd version). Excellent performance in regular games (easily matches and in some cases outperforms the 680), however performance in X-plane is not good. I sometimes see people here at avsim running extreme settings and 100% clouds. That would cause my ATI-card to chug out about half a frame every second century. Add to this incomprihensible shimmering when in HDR-mode (making HDR unusable during day time) and some odd quirks with disapperaing text and other strange anomalies.

nvidia sure seems to be numero uno when it comes to flight simming. Will probably be getting the new 780.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

The only thing I've noticed which has a serious affect on fps is in-game AA. If I keep it on FXAA I can set everything to full and keep frames at above 30fps in most places outside big cities. Move the AA to even the next notch up (2XFSAA&FXAA) and the frames take a hit. 4X and above gets into slideshow territory.

Has anyone experimented with nvidia settings for AA?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Q400_Flyer, that's weird; I ran the demo very smoothly on high settings with a 5870, not to mention your processor is much faster than mine as well.

Hi there.

I have an ATI 7970 (factory OCd version). Excellent performance in regular games (easily matches and in some cases outperforms the 680), however performance in X-plane is not good. I sometimes see people here at avsim running extreme settings and 100% clouds. That would cause my ATI-card to chug out about half a frame every second century. Add to this incomprihensible shimmering when in HDR-mode (making HDR unusable during day time) and some odd quirks with disapperaing text and other strange anomalies.

nvidia sure seems to be numero uno when it comes to flight simming. Will probably be getting the new 780.

The problems that Richard describe are exactly what I was getting on release.... I was using a HD 5770 1GB at the time to be fair, (and now have a HD 7850 2GB), but it seemed that all of the areas where XP10 performance was claimed to be superior to FSX (mainly around weather and clouds) were just killing it when using an ATI card. I've seen evidence of the great performance in those areas for nVidia users, but for ATI it just doesn't seem beneficial to look at XP10 as a means of enjoying more weather, with good performance.

It's a real shame, and has always astounded me that Austin would appear so apathetic towards the ATI issue, when supposedly 30-35% of gamers/simmers have an ATI card in their rig.

To be fair, I have not tried the demo, with my new card, so will do that now. :smile:

The problems that Richard describe are exactly what I was getting on release.... I was using a HD 5770 1GB at the time to be fair, (and now have a HD 7850 2GB), but it seemed that all of the areas where XP10 performance was claimed to be superior to FSX (mainly around weather and clouds) were just killing it when using an ATI card. I've seen evidence of the great performance in those areas for nVidia users, but for ATI it just doesn't seem beneficial to look at XP10 as a means of enjoying more weather, with good performance.

It's a real shame, and has always astounded me that Austin would appear so apathetic towards the ATI issue, when supposedly 30-35% of gamers/simmers have an ATI card in their rig.

To be fair, I have not tried the demo, with my new card, so will do that now. :smile:

Well.. I wonder if Austin is entirely to blame in this issue. It rather seems like (or so I've heard on numerous occasions) ATIs support of opengl lacks in comparison to nVidia. I wonder if LR could do anything about this issue at all. I don't know. Maybe other people can comment on this?

I took the plunge today and ordered the nVidia 780GTX. So hopefully these issues will be just a distant memory soon.  :ph34r:

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I took the plunge today and ordered the nVidia 780GTX. So hopefully these issues will be just a distant memory soon

I will be really interested to see how your nVidia 780 performs with Xplane 10 and how it compares to the 600 series. Please, please, please post a detailed review (and if possible comparison) of the how the card performs with Xplane 10 when you receive it. It would be very much appreciated.

Right now I am on the fence with whether or not to order the 780 as I have no idea what the performance increase will be compared with a 600 series or ATI card as we all know flightsims don't always behave like other games. With the Volcanic Islands series coming from ATI in Q4 (a complete redesign of the GPU architecture) and the Nvidia Maxwell series coming next year with potential for serious gains (some say doubling in performance of the 780/Titan), I am trying to decide whether to buy a 780, wait for Volcanic Islands, or wait and buy a 660 Ti. I currently have an ATI 5870 which is showing it's age.

Cheers

Steve