Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

Remember The Biggest XP10 Complaint?

And, one question... 

What exactly is the "logic" of the scenerey_pack.ini file under Custom Scenery? I mean: having downloaded the European OSM+Autogen as well as Portugal and Spain OSM+Autogen files, I placed them in the Custom Scenery folder, but, in the scenery_packs.ini file I believe I should list the Portugal and Spain folders before the Europe folder? Is this correct?

@franmavi: sorry, only saw your post after FIVE already had replied :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

And, one question... 

What exactly is the "logic" of the scenerey_pack.ini file under Custom Scenery? I mean: having downloaded the European OSM+Autogen as well as Portugal and Spain OSM+Autogen files, I placed them in the Custom Scenery folder, but, in the scenery_packs.ini file I believe I should list the Portugal and Spain folders before the Europe folder? Is this correct?

@franmavi: sorry, only saw your post after FIVE already had replied :-/

like this:

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/OSM_Europe_forest+only/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_North-America_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_Africa_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_Antarctica_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_Asia_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_Australia-Oceania_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_Central-America_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Osm_South-America_osm+autogen/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/OpenSceneryX/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/R2_Library/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ruscenery/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/ff_library_extended_LOD/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/flags_of_the_world/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/german_traffic_library/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzz_Treelines_Farms_Europe/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/zzz_Treelines_Farms_USA/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Wide Taxiway Markings Library Replacement/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/XS_Library/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/Vehicle Library Extension/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+40+022_GR_Saloniki_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+47+008_CH_Zuerich_bx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+47+011_A_Innsbruck_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+48+002_F_Paris_bx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+52+013_D_Berlin_bx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+41+011_I_Roma_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+41+012_I_Roma_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+28-015_E_Canarias_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+30-030_Azoren_x17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+32-017_P_Madeira_x17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+43+001_F_Toulouse_bx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+43+006_F_Cannes_bx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+33+035_LB_Beirut_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+51-001_GB_London_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+33+036_SYR_Damascus_gx17/

SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z+43-080_CAN_Toronto_gc17/

What should be the priority in the scenery_pack.ini file?

The order and thus the priority in the scenery_packs.ini from top to bottom should be as follows:

- Own, or custom airports

- Original airports (e.g. Aerosoft …)

- Regional sceneries (e.g. New Zealand Pro)

- OSM country/continent sceneries

- Addons, libraries (UrbanMaxxExtreme, SeaTraffic, OpenSceneryX…)

- Photo sceneries (ZL16, ZL17, etc.)

- Mesh files (HD Mesh)

I will be really interested to see how your nVidia 780 performs with Xplane 10 and how it compares to the 600 series. Please, please, please post a detailed review (and if possible comparison) of the how the card performs with Xplane 10 when you receive it. It would be very much appreciated.

Right now I am on the fence with whether or not to order the 780 as I have no idea what the performance increase will be compared with a 600 series or ATI card as we all know flightsims don't always behave like other games. With the Volcanic Islands series coming from ATI in Q4 (a complete redesign of the GPU architecture) and the Nvidia Maxwell series coming next year with potential for serious gains (some say doubling in performance of the 780/Titan), I am trying to decide whether to buy a 780, wait for Volcanic Islands, or wait and buy a 660 Ti. I currently have an ATI 5870 which is showing it's age.

Cheers

Steve

Hehe, I will certainly post some kind of comparison. Don't know about in-depth-reviews though. For flight simming I would recommend nVidia, no doubt. I've had a couple of ATIs and quite frankly, I'm fed up with ATI. I'm hoping the 780 will be a much needed breath of fresh air. 

There's always something new around the corner. I'm having a hard time believing that ATI will, during Q4, release something twice as powerful as a GTX780. I think it will be more of a catch-up. Time will tell. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I too experienced horrible performance with my ATI card in XP10 demo, as in less then 10fps most of the time on high settings. Switch to an equivalent nVidia card and frame rates changed a 30fps range with ease.

@FIVE-BY-FIVE:  Thx FIVE! ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

What should be the priority in the scenery_pack.ini file?

The order and thus the priority in the scenery_packs.ini from top to bottom should be as follows:

- OSM country/continent sceneries

- Addons, libraries (UrbanMaxxExtreme, SeaTraffic, OpenSceneryX…)

- Photo sceneries (ZL16, ZL17, etc.)

- Mesh files (HD Mesh)

A slight tweak (shift New Zealand scenery to the bottom because it is mesh)

Basically airports should go at the top, followed by facades, then orthophotos, and lastly mesh.

- Global Airports (this folder was added in X-Plane 10.21)

- OSM country/continent sceneries & forest overlays (these are facades)

- Photo sceneries (ZL16, ZL17, etc. anything from simheaven and friends)

- Mesh files (HD Mesh)

Addons, libraries (UrbanMaxxExtreme, SeaTraffic, OpenSceneryX…) can be in any order ... it does not matter, since X-Plane loads these first internally regardless of what order you put them in the file.

Ok, and just 1 more question... 

Under the "class" of OSM country/continent sceneries (these are facades), if I have, say:

Osm_Europe_osm+autogen     and     Osm_Portugal_osm+autogen

how should I declare them in the "scenery_packs.ini" file?  Portugal first and then Europe?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ok, and just 1 more question... 

Under the "class" of OSM country/continent sceneries (these are facades), if I have, say:

Osm_Europe_osm+autogen     and     Osm_Portugal_osm+autogen

how should I declare them in the "scenery_packs.ini" file?  Portugal first and then Europe?

not sure.....experiment and see which one needs to go first :good:

My issues with XPX:  poor ATC and (absence of) AI traffic.

spacer.png

(absence of) AI traffic.

XP10 default AI Traffic had a limit of 20 Aircraft per Airport but already fixed....addon released weeks ago

World Traffic

Fill the skies with planes!   The most significant application for X-Plane since ... X-Plane!

World Traffic is an application designed to fill the skies and taxiways of your favorite airports with lots of planes.

You can even create land and sea traffic.  Flight paths are defined through flight plans which are simple to create by specifying the aircraft in the flight and  some flight parameters. Arrivals and departures are controlled by World Traffic based on wind and aircraft type info so that aircraft will land and takeoff from suitable runways. 

General Features

• Sample flight plans and ground routes are provided for KSEA. These illustrate almost all of the functionality of the application and may be used as examples for your own flights.
  • Several default aircraft are provided with many more to come. Users may create their own aircraft as well.
  • Flight plans can be grouped into zones to enable/disable flights for a specific region or to enable/disable flights for a specific vintage of aircraft. You can organize the flight plan folders however you wish and enable or disable whatever regions you are interested in.
  • Custom sound engine with directional, multi-track aircraft engine sounds with doppler shift.
  • Simple ATC system to allow you to interact with the World Traffic application so that it is aware of your position and can vector you and and assign you arrival/departure runways.
  • Flight information window allows you to quickly find active flights, flight information about that flight, and it lets you view that flight with the track camera.
  • Collision avoidance features for ground traffic so aircraft hold for approaching and departing aircraft, aircraft will overshoot if they are too high or too fast or if there is a plane on the runway, and planes will enter holding patterns if the airport is too busy or their crosswind landing limit is exceeded.

Flight Plans

• User-defined flight plans to specify the flight path of an aircraft or a formation of aircraft.
  • Settable altitudes for each steerpoint in the flight plan where altitude can be in feet above sea level or feet above ground level for terrain following flights.
  • Flight plans can be defined for specific aircraft tail numbers so that a specific aircraft can be defined to follow a multi-leg route.

Ground Routes

• User-defined ground routes to specify specific parking locations for aircraft. Ground routes can be specific to a general type of aircraft, a type of aircraft, or a specific tail number so you can have planes park in the parking spots you want

Flight Model

• Simple, tunable flight model using aerodynamics and ballistics equations from the NASA web site to provide a natural looking flight model accurate enough that you can follow the World-Traffic controlled aircraft.
  • Wind and turbulence affect aircraft so that they will bounce around in turbulence and crab into the wind in flight to maintain desired headings.
  • Afterburner thrust is settable so afterburner-equipped aircraft can accelerate quickly when required, perform vertical departures, and fly supersonic.

Aircraft Object Animation and Lighting

• Custom datarefs are provided to provide your aircraft with full animation of control surfaces, landing gear, canopy, nozzle, engine blades/prop, thrust reverser, lights etc.
  • All types of aircraft lighting is supported and the lights will function correctly depending on the phase of flight and aircraft type. Landing lights will go on and taxi lights will go off when the aircraft taxis onto a runway for takeoff. The strobe lights will turn off when the plane arrives and turns off the runway. Cabin lights will stay and aircraft doors will stay open for a few minutes after an airliner parks until the passengers are all off the plane. Most other lighting turns off when the aircraft engines are shut down.

Planned Features

• Random traffic generation based on an airport definition file specifying traffic type, connecting airports, and traffic volume to allow you to quickly generate air traffic for your favorite areas.
  • Import tools to convert flight plans in other popular formats to work with World Traffic and to get real-world flight plans off of the web.
  • Custom approaches for SID/STAR approaches from the web or your own custom approaches for arrivals and departures into mountainous areas.

Created by Greg Hofer for Classic Jet Simulations

PRICE:  $24.95

$24.95 World Traffic(License Key sent by email by CJS)

Errm, and the clouds? Sheesh, if Austin actually did something with those awful skies I may just be tempted...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Well....... that was an interesting couple of hours!

........... having tried the XP10 Demo when first released, (when I was using a ATI 5770 1GB) and getting disastrous performance, I decided to try things again today.....

I now have a ATI 7850 2GB, and I'm on a nice clean install of Win 7 64bit, running on an i7 2600k, with 16GB RAM.

Downloaded the demo....... tried to find some way of ensuring it was fully up to date, but there doesn't seem to be that option.

Ran XP10 64 bit..... loaded up at SEA in the P180, with some nice red skies..... and 8 FPS.....  :unsure:

Anyway, to cut along story short, after a couple of hours tweaking, I discovered that XP10 just cannot cope with my card set on "Supersampling" (as it's set for FSX, as it provides fantastic visuals with not much performance penalty in FSX, over Adaptive Multisampling).

So I managed to get up to 30 FPS, and handling the weather ok, in the default C172;  but with multisampling instead of supersampling, the trade off was shimmering textures in the mid distance, and the ugliest looking runway textures I've ever seen!

My summary of a couple of hours with the XP10 64 bit demo  :-

• The feeling of flight, and motion in the air is awesome, and feels more convincing than FSX.
  • The feeling of motion on the ground is awful; vague, floaty, no illusion of contact with the tarmac, etc.
  • The scenery in general, looks great from any altitude, and gives a better illusion of height, than FSX.
  • ATC:   Grrrrr! ... how do I switch it off?..... it's awful!
  • Performance: considering all the fuss about 64 bit software, and the expected performance gains; where ATI video cards are concerned, with XP10, forget it ...... I can get far great visuals and performance in FSX; but again seems entirely due to the fact that XP10 and ATI video cards remain so poorly compatible.

Not a keeper for me, but if it wasn't running like a dog with my ATI GPU, I would be tempted to dig further, as the sense of flying in the air, was really convincing and fun.

Runs okay on my system but too much $$$ invested in FSX at the moment.

Limited funds means I choose between the pending PMDG 777 or XPX.  I choose the T7 on an established fully modded platform.

spacer.png