Sign in to follow this  
mganz121

Commission wants to turn tables on IP thieves by crippling PCs

OUCH .... where to next?

Buried in a 100-page report issued last week by the Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property was a recommendation to copy a tactic cyber scammers use to extort money from innocent victims.

The IP Commission -- a private panel of politicians, military and defense officials and technology leaders -- is co-chaired by Jon Huntsman, former governor of Utah and former U.S. ambassador to China, and Dennis Blair, a retired U.S. Navy admiral and former Director of National Intelligence.

Among more than 20 recommendations, the commission suggested that companies be allowed to lock files and cripple computers.

More here ...  http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9239547/Commission_wants_to_turn_tables_on_IP_thieves_by_crippling_PCs_with_extortion_style_lock_outs

These people are nuts! I'm all for software companies locking out their own software from use if it's deemed not to be a valid license, but they have no right to lock out, damage or look at anything else on that computer.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

While I can understand what they want to do, I find their 'solutions' rather barbaric. As the saying goes, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

oh please...if they can't even manage to shut down the sites that aid/promote/host pirated software then there's no way they'll be able to accomplish THIS. Besides, their inability to do the right thing with such issues is really besides the point...I mean, could you just imagine all the negative implications that the technological side of this might impose? Too many things could go very wrong...too many lawsuits.

The first time this happens "by accident" the lawsuits will guarantee that it never happens again.

<p>Wow another big win for companys goes to show we the people have no rights... I find it funny that they think this will stop hackers 2 days after they roll this thing out someone would have a work around. The only people this would hurt are people with no concept of how to work a PC's insides who wouldn't know they were downloading hacked stuff anyway. I mean at the most all you'd have to do is replace the HD and reinstall windows to get your PC up again. I'm not a hacker nor a pirate but I know my way around a PC and I can tell you that this law is just plain dumb and pointless. If they want to pass a law where software actually has to work I'd be all for that!

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

<p>Wow another big win for companys goes to show we the people have no rights... I find it funny that they think this will stop hackers 2 days after they roll this thing out someone would have a work around. The only people this would hurt are people with no concept of how to work a PC's insides who wouldn't know they were downloading hacked stuff anyway. I mean at the most all you'd have to do is replace the HD and reinstall windows to get your PC up again. I'm not a hacker nor a pirate but I know my way around a PC and I can tell you that this law is just plain dumb and pointless. If they want to pass a law where software actually has to work I'd be all for that!

A bunch of businesspeople and their friends writing a 'report' is hardly a big win. If these recommendations actually get turned into law it would be a different matter.

No way this comes to fruition. The legal implications are just too extreme. People can't be allowed to invade someone's property in order for them to seek payment over something owed. But then again, we've seen worse stuff come out in the last few years, so it wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to make it law.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

This will never happen.  It cant be enforced and this is only a US legal issue even if it did.  US copyright law is way outta whack and needs serious reform.  Most to the rest of world has a more realistic view on copyright, including Canada where I reside.

spacer.png

This won't happen. Essentially it would be the start of totalitarianism in this country. I don't think the public would stand up for it and the public can be a powerful force when certain rights are infringed. Politicians are afraid of one thing--voters. And we've seen congress turned upside down in the past when the public has seen one party or the other become carried away with their power.

John

No way this comes to fruition. The legal implications are just too extreme. People can't be allowed to invade someone's property in order for them to seek payment over something owed. But then again, we've seen worse stuff come out in the last few years, so it wouldn't surprise me if they find a way to make it law.

You should read some of the Eula's that most of us ignore and click right past when we join various web services, especially those providing things like music, movies and etc.

It can be pretty hair raising, what you can find you have handed away in the fine print.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Of course it will work. Look at the shutting down of pirate bay. Piracy has dropped by 90% since.

Goverments always know whats best for their people whom have voted them in. Bless.

feebee, on 29 May 2013 - 9:49 PM, said:

Of course it will work. Look at the shutting down of pirate bay. Piracy has dropped by 90% since.

Goverments always know whats best for their people whom have voted them in. Bless.

Totalitarianism doesn't work. "Governments always know whats best for their people whom have voted them in"? Tell that to the people of Venezuela. Crime soared under Hugo Chavez's regime. Freedom of the press--all but vanished. People voted him in, and when he gained enough power, he could simply rig the elections. He became allied with Iran, a country which has threatened to wipe Israel off the map and any country that doesn't follow their concept of God. You have to be careful, what you vote for.

Our Constitution protects against illegal search and seizure. What these politicians and big businesses want is just that--it's not about piracy--it's about probing and seeing what people threaten "their" way of life. Look at the IRS controversy going on right now. I hate to say it, since I am not a gun owner and never will be, but this is exactly why we have the right to bear arms in this country, and why I don't feel that right should be taken away. We have a standing army of millions against tyranny--millions of foot soldiers who would defend their rights as granted to them by the bill of rights. I hate to think of what might happen if their anger gets stirred--we need peace in our country, and the only way to guarantee that peace is to defend our rights.

Do we have the right to piracy? No, we don't. But I would bet that 99.9 percent of us have videotaped a movie from TV, or recorded a song from the radio. Anyone with a modern sound card can record a song straight from streaming media and I would suspect many have. Software has gone out of print which is still under copyright. I would suspect many have found such and put it on their systems. We have to be honest with ourselves--not one of us is perfect. I'm certainly not. But I do still strongly believe every musician, every software vendor, every book publisher has a right to profit from their work.

My software that I've written--which is widely distributed all over the world now, thanks to PC Magazine and online services, is offered for free. People have pirated it and made money from it--one person took a program I wrote and turned it into a phone app. And I don't care at this point. I got a profit--the reward of sharing.

I've covered a lot of thoughts here--I hope it gives us something to think about. We have a good system in this country and it works. I hope we don't vote it out of existence. We only have to look elsewhere as an example of what can happen.

John

I was about to retort, but then I looked closer and saw the tongue in your cheek.

Elijah Hoyt
747ST.jpg
CFI, CFII, CMEL, CSEL, CSES, IFR

I was about to retort, but then I looked closer and saw the tongue in your cheek.

Thanks for your comment--I didn't see that.  But if that was the intent, tongue in cheek, it helped me come up with a response which I think is fair and measured.

John