Sign in to follow this  
JaimeHorton

No wave animations dx10

Good evening everyone

So I've been reinstalling my OS along with fsx of course

I've decided to give dx10 a shot and so far I'm very pleased with the results

However one thing that's stumping me is the water

My water looks ok, has decent reflections however its looks vert static, just like fsx dx9 it looks like a solid texture, I know I'm missing something here,

I have

UTX

GEX

REX

I've done some research around and can't find any answers

In Rex I'm using dx10 setting and have wave animations checked

Any ideas would be great

Thanks

Happy flying

JHo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Coupla things, Jho: first would be to bring FSX's graphics back to default - i.e. remove/un-load the apps which can replace FSX's default water - so pretty much all of those listed. If you're not sure about what "default water" is, or looks like, the only answer to that is copying the textures from a default installation, i.e. either from a backup of the default FSX, or the texture file from a second pc or laptop. This is how I personally do it

Default water set at 4, 5 or 6 in the fsx.cfg should give you good-looking waves, and if there's wind - you'll get whitecaps. Did you check out the water textures before adding these three apps?

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

sadly i think i DID NOT check them out

so how can i replace the textures 

i have a laptop that i can install fsx on i suppose 

or can i download them somewhere 

also when i install the addons how do i keep the water from being replaced ?

thanks for the help :) 

JHo

... those applications use their own mechanisms to back up your original textures, Jho, which you can then restore... of course there are three programs here - I believe all of which - can replace your original textures. I know REX does, and it can restore the originals, and I believe GEX, can do, too, and possibly UT_USA, so (because It's years since I used either, and they've changed since then) you need to verify that by visiting those two, at least, respective support pages, or by simply reading the manuals and remembering just how you installed them.

"when i install the addons how do i keep the water from being replaced ?"  By reading the manuals, going to the support sites, and asking that question.

Hope this helps,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi PJ, just a quick question regarding water in DX10, does only the default water have the effect, waves, white caps etc ?

Cheers

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Nope; all will have it, but how noticeable it is depends upon the wave pattern selected, such as REX's "Sparkling" or ActiveSky's "Frequency", but - even the 2x default series are very good!

Ok, thanks PJ. 

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Nope; all will have it, but how noticeable it is depends upon the wave pattern selected, such as REX's "Sparkling" or ActiveSky's "Frequency", but - even the 2x default series are very good!

Yeah, I always select the mean looking stuff when selecting themes.  I have my water effects setting at 5.  Anything higher and I get anomalies.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 here, too, Jim. It was 6 with BP=0 and DX9, but the 5.0 gig proc and DX10 means that the proc now has more effective memory, and so can push more data to the GTX 580. The 780 is now out, and Haswell is around the corner, so this systems days are numbered (for sale) and I'll be back to tweaking once again.... looking for better water.... cheesh! It never stops, does it!   :lol:

i think i figured it out 

i did a clean reinstall 

im running dx10 

i did the steves update

tweaked the config 

and ran a vanilla flight, the water looked good out of the box, so i added UTX 

still good 

nice animations good reflections and the waves moved with white caps 

added GEX and no change really 

however i ran a test flight with the glider engine thing in TNCM 

and with a good moon out and the dreaded snow water was back, looked horrible 

so i installed fswc lite and installed according to read me 

still no change 

so i researched a bit more and deleted my water textures and boom there it was, nice dark water with waves and reflection. i was extremely happy so i figured lets see what REX does 

i install rex 

choose dx10 waves animations and sparkling

i try the flight again and i get this ugly layover the water with huge pixelated squares 

so i removed the rex waves and im back to good with default 

so is this normal 

in dx10 is there any reason to use the REX animations ????

not sure, water looks pretty good as it is 

will rex work with DX10 and change the color of the water and whatnot 

thanks guys 

happy flying 

REX has DX10 option in the OPTIONS manager.

Also, there are tons of choices for wave animations, try different ones, you will be surprised at how different they all are!

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Yeah, I 100% agree with Tim, Jho. REX has very, very, very good wave animation - also DX10 compatible!

The problem is - I can't really give solid advice re GEX or UT_USA, as I don't use them anymore, nowadays only flying VFR in the Orbx areas, (so there is only REX - or ActiveSky present), and for the "tube-liner" commercial airline flying - only using the 4 or 5 major airports on the pacific west coast, and here again - using REX or ActiveSky clouds and water. Both are equally superb products.

@Paul J - So you're going Haswell too?  I'm going that route too as the tech appears to be a pretty good upgrade to my 2600K.  Plus I like tinkering...  Don't know about the 780 GTX though. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

EIGHT GigaHertz, Jim!!!  8 gig!! Wow!! Imagine - a new A2A C172 - doing 300 knots!! 

I doubt (I know) that will I will ever see an 8 GHz oc with Haswell.  But I do see some performance gains.  I would like to see a stable 5GHz OC then maybe I can see some tidal waves in FSX!  :lol:  I think Sandy Bridge has been very good to us overall the past two years.  It has for me anyway.  Now it's time to move onward and upward!

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM