Sign in to follow this  
Guest frankathl

FSRoads

Guest frankathl

How well does FSRoads integrate with the default scenery? For example, when it adds a road where none previously existed, does it perform some kind of smoothing to get rid of objects(trees, buildings) which are in the way? I don't think it would be very realistic to have roads going up and over houses and factories!In general, how well do the roads look for VFR flight?FSRoads - UK and Ireland has just been released, and I am contemplating purchase.Thanks,Frank

Guest Whisperjet

Frank,See my other posts below to Dan and Allcott. At work just now but I will take a closer look tonight and give you an answer later. In general it looks pretty good for VFR but as I said I will look closer to see what it does with buildings etc.

Guest frankathl

Hi Ian,Thanks for quick reply. Will check your other posts(didn't look before posting).BR,FrankPS Yep, I'm at work, too.:-)

Guest Whisperjet

Guys,Did some tooling around in VFR (followed the motorways from Heathrow to Gatwick then a cross-country from Bristol to Oxford) plus some flying around Glasgow and Edinburgh at 3,000ft, 10,000ft and 30,000ft with some dusk flying too (you can see lit up roads up to 10,000ft but you don't see any motorways...not usually lit anyway). Yes it seems pretty accurate and I especially like the big motorway junctions (good reference points when using a OS map). It "appears" to place the roads down and "blanks out" any buildings or trees etc. (don't know squat about autogen) but in some places gaps appear on some of the larger roads. I personally don't think it happens enough to bother about. One thing though, If you have your sliders cranked high enough to show telephone poles and lamp posts, they seem to disappear!All in all, you get what you pay for and I feel it was worth it...would much rather have these roads than settle for the default stuff.Some shots:-Sorry guys but all the shots I have taken are over the 125KB limit ;(

Guest Waltm

When I first tried FS Roads USA, they were a revelation. Especially fun was being able to locate the exact street & block I live on--they're that accurate. And they offer two levels of detail--Major roads only, and Major Roads + Minor Roads. Night flights are especially something to behold. Yes, there is a hit on frame rates, espeically when employing Major Roads + Minor Roads, but not any more to be expected.The only real downside for me is that FS Roads rarely, if ever align properly with default bridges, often resulting in a default bridge spanning a river by itself with an FS Road "magically" crossing the rive--sans bridge--nearby. Also, in some ocean and fresh water coastal areas, a mismatch between the default terrain and FS Roads will result in roads extending into the water, like global warming is hitting the world with a vengence. If there were some way to quickly align the bridges I'd use FS Roads all the time; as it is, I frequently switch back and forth between FS Roads and the default roads.My guess is that, like most 3rd-party DEM mesh, FS Roads is technically more accurate that the default terrain.-- Walt Flying FS9.1 at 1600x1200x32 WideFS 6.226 ActiveSky 2004 2.0 for FS9.1 FSUIPC 3.4.0.0 Registered FS Force 1.02 FSNavigator 4.6.0.0 LAGO FSE Linksys Wireless Router 802.11b BASE SYSTEM (Running FS2004): Intel Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz Windows XP Pro 512MB PC800 RDRAM,8100 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 Pro CATALYST Windows XP 3.10 video driver DirectX 9.0b ViewSonic P95f+ 19 inch Ultrabrite CRT Monitor Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Creative I-Trigue 2.1 3300 Speakers MS ForceFeedback 2 joystick NETWORKED SYSTEM (Running WideFS Client & ActiveSky 2004): Intel Pentium 3, 850 MHz Windows 98 SE 384 MB RAM

In Louisville, KY several interstates are routed (probably where they actually are) out into the Ohio River. In some cities they run right through downtown buildings, so I uninstalled the program for now. Also, In other areas the roads seemed overstated in relation to the terain.??? I'm not overly impressed, although they seem, generally, fairly acurate in their location.

The correct name of the product is USA Roads.They are awesome and super accurate in their placement. But being so accurate there is a downside - the rest of the scenery is nowhere near that accurate so you may find roads that go through lakes or cut rivers - because lakes and rivers are in the wrong place. Also coastlines are inaccurate. But this is hardly a fault of USA Roads - we simply need the same level of accuracy in all shorelines. But this is hardly a problem for me - I don't have time to analyze roads when I fly a complex aircraft. But their density and with autogen cranked all the way up it is an awesome sight. I could never go back flying without them. They are specially well fitted around all "special" airports in FS9 (SEA, LAX, ...) beacuse the accuracy of airport grounds is well matched with accuracy of USA Roads.And I don't absolutely see any performance hit. And there is no conflict between autogen and USA Roads.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

Guest Speed

I 2nd what Michael said. USA Roads is a must have in my books. Especially when you soften the roads textures with the free mods found in the avsim file library.With regard to not being alligned to default bridges...would you prefer to buy a product that had roads that were innaccurate but were aligned to MS bridges? The realization that MS placed bridges 'pin the donkey' style is a bummer but there's always hope.

Just some clarification...The original post was referring to a product from FSRoads (www.fsroads.com) available through simmarket, specifically the one covering the UK. USA Roads is from Flight1 and is a completely different product. FSRoads now covers Sweden, Denmark and the UK with more countries to follow. It is not such a polished product as the Flight1 offering, but the author is supporting the releases and has patched the Sweden version already, which is a good sign.RegardsAndy

Thanks for clarification. I never heard of FSRoads, clearly I was mistaken.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

Guest Whisperjet

Doh!! It was around 1 am GMT when I posted and was too knackered to realise why the screenshots wouldn't upload!...this FS carry-on is sometimes too compulsive heh heh!?!Anyway, 6 hours later on the train to work I realised what happened.Will post again tonight if anyone wishes? Let me know!

Guest frankathl

Hi Ian,Yes, it would be nice if you could post a pic or two. Thanks for the helpful information about how FSRoads integrates with the FS scenery.BR,Frank