Sign in to follow this  
VaclavLoubek

Worth the upgrade from GTX460 to GTX660Ti?

Hello gentlemen,

I currently have some free funds and considering upgrading my GPU. I do have MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack 1GB, which is factory overclocked to its limits. It used to be one of the most powerful 460s on the market.

Now I would like to buy 660Ti, also the most overclocked version I could get, and probably with 3GB RAM.

The question is: Is it worth it? Will there be any noticeable difference in terms of smoothness, visual quality, etc? What exactly can I expect?

Thank you for your opinion.

I upgraded from a Gygabyte GTX 460 to an Asus GTX660Ti OC and I am very happy with the upgrade. Beautiful, sharper graphics and it handles greater resolutions with little effort.

Do a bit of research on gpu boss and other websites where you can do direct comparisons. Don't forget FSX is far more CPU critical than GPU critical.

Don't forget FSX is far more CPU critical than GPU critical.

This is exactly the reason I asked the question.

Probably would help if I add my other specs...: i5-2500K OC`d to 4.7 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, PSU Corsair 850 Watt with 85 % certificate.

I am somehow satisfied with the way my FSX runs, but If I could 4096 clouds on 8xS AA and stuff, it would be great.

Well mate, to be honest, if all you're using it for is FSX, then you're golden, but if you're planning on using it for light gaming too, I'd highly recommend waiting for a couple of weeks for the equivalent 7XX card.

Or, if you just can't stand the upgrade-itch, then seriously wait for the equivalent 7XX, buyers remorse is horrid.

Aamir Thacker

The 660Ti is a fine graphics card, but if I were you I would wait a few more days to see what the 770 or 760Ti have to offer.  

The 660Ti is a fine graphics card, but if I were you I would wait a few more days to see what the 770 or 760Ti have to offer.

But at what price?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

But at what price?

Same prices as the current cards...  The 770 is a replacement for the 670 and the 760Ti is a replacement for the 660Ti.  780 is another story as it uses a much larger GPU than 680 which makes it more expensive to produce, hence the increased price over 680.  

But at what price?

Well, to be honest, even if the 760Ti is more expensive, it should at least (hopefully) drive the prices down. No point buying something now and crying about it later, may as well wait to justify the purchase, right?

Aamir Thacker

I like Drzewieky Design Miami.  Lots of buildings, pretty okay on frames.  The downsides:  the photoreal could be higher resolution.  I do get grids that refresh...they go black and come back...running at my settings.  No palm trees...diciduous trees everywhere.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM