Sign in to follow this  
Nuno Pinto

Sooooo.... I got a GTX780 3072MB

But i didn't test it yet. Just got it and will be home in about one hour to install it and see how it behaves with FSX. I'm not expecting any speedups really, i mainly got it because i also play games and it's been a long time since i had a high end video card in my system and so i decided to buy it to last the next two years.

It's an EVGA Superclocked version and i'm a bit scared of its 3072MB. IIRC, these are mapped into the high memory available for the Windows system (if this still happens - I don't know), so it shouldn't cause any issues with the good old FSX.

I will report if i find any issues or improvements with this card's massive 7.1 billion transistors and 2304 stream processors...

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

But i didn't test it yet. Just got it and will be home in about one hour to install it and see how it behaves with FSX. I'm not expecting any speedups really, i mainly got it because i also play games and it's been a long time since i had a high end video card in my system and so i decided to buy it to last the next two years.

It's an EVGA Superclocked version and i'm a bit scared of its 3072MB. IIRC, these are mapped into the high memory available for the Windows system (if this still happens - I don't know), so it shouldn't cause any issues with the good old FSX.

I will report if i find any issues or improvements with this card's massive 7.1 billion transistors and 2304 stream processors...

Scared of 3072MB? I doubt you'll see any issues. I have a 3GB GTX680 and have no issues. I've also heard folks running the 6GB Titan with no issues.

As you noted, I doubt you'll notice any improvement in FPS until you start pushing high levels of anti aliasing. Be sure to pay Word Not Allowed's blog a visit, too. You don't want to undercut such a great card with a lousy sim setup.

I've got the same card (except mine hasn't arrived yet).  Hoping to OC the heck out of it under water, so far air cooling results from review sites look quite promising: Anandtech OC'd GTX 780 review

Switch to DX10 and you won't have OOM issues due to the VRAM being mapped in system RAM.  

Thanks guys. I have my own (insert a BIG number here) hours of FSX researching and that's why i think FSX doesn't have much more to spit out. Maybe better performance due to faster rendering of the clouds, but that's it. Word Not Allowed did a great job and helped with some settings, as well as Bojote a while back, and i managed to get to a very stable and performant FSX.

Let's see what the 780 does for it :P

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Thanks guys. I have my own (insert a BIG number here) hours of FSX researching and that's why i think FSX doesn't have much more to spit out. Maybe better performance due to faster rendering of the clouds, but that's it. Word Not Allowed did a great job and helped with some settings, as well as Bojote a while back, and i managed to get to a very stable and performant FSX.

Let's see what the 780 does for it :P

If you run high levels of AA via Nvidia Inspector and find yourself flying into multiple cloud layers you will see a performance boost, somewhere in the range of 30-40%.

Yeah well, FSX _IS_ smoother. It's not a crazy difference but it's noticeable. There are no apparent changes to framerate. The card doesn't hit temperatures like the 670 did, it sits in the 63-64 degrees celsius mark while the 670 used to jump into 70's, maybe 72-73. I cannot hear it and i used to hear the low whizz of the 670 fan.

It performs much much better than the 670 with the latest games (main objective), but that was predictable. All in all i'm very happy with it, i hope it keeps me that way for long.

Yeah well, FSX _IS_ smoother. It's not a crazy difference but it's noticeable. There are no apparent changes to framerate. The card doesn't hit temperatures like the 670 did, it sits in the 63-64 degrees celsius mark while the 670 used to jump into 70's, maybe 72-73. I cannot hear it and i used to hear the low whizz of the 670 fan.

It performs much much better than the 670 with the latest games (main objective), but that was predictable. All in all i'm very happy with it, i hope it keeps me that way for long.

What level of AA do you run?

I'm just letting the card do the SGSS, AA is delegated to FSX. Card is also responsible for Adaptive VSYNC and frame limiter to 60fps, which it attains in most circumstances.

I'm just letting the card do the SGSS, AA is delegated to FSX. Card is also responsible for Adaptive VSYNC and frame limiter to 60fps, which it attains in most circumstances.

What level of AA though?  I'm running 4x SS and 4x SGSS on my 680 now, want to run better than that if possible.  

AA, like i said, is handled by FSX, i have SGSS 2x.

I don't see the need to overload the graphics card with AA because i have no jaggies at all and setting AA on the video card makes it heat up much more and drain more power from the outlet. Considering how much time i am flying, it makes a difference.

I had a 3GB EVGA 660Ti SC. No prob. I now run a 3GB equipped ATI 7970 Ghz and have done longer than an hour flight in ORBX scenery with the PMDG JS41 without issue. Win7 64 here.

C.