Sign in to follow this  
oZZ

What about PMDG and classic aircraft

Hello,

What's "PMDG classic" plan after the DC-6 ?  747-200, L-1011-1, DC-10 ? It would be amazing if PMDG will work on those type of aircraft.

Regards.

PMDG is not doing a DC9 that we know about. ;)

I think, if they're going to do classics at all, they'll probably be Light versions, just like the JS4100.

The DC-6 is a classic for sure.  I hope it sells well and PMDG is encouraged to do more vintage types.

DC-6 perhaps? I'm pretty sure that's underway. One might consider that a classic.

(oops... fingers too slow)

Mistake not a DC-9, a DC-6  -_-

I hope it sells well and PMDG is encouraged to do more vintage types.

Me to. There doesn't appear to be much love towards the classics, hoping the DC-6 will change peoples views towards the old birds!

747 classics, eventually with FMC upgrade would be the best thing ever. Next to the 777-300 ofcourse!

sig1.png
sig2.png

JanJaap, on 29 May 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

747 classics, eventually with FMC upgrade would be the best thing ever. Next to the 777-300 ofcourse!

Yes i agree, and the choice of 747 combi or not. The 747SP in expansion pack :blush:.

Oh wow, these threads have started again - thought went a bit quiet ;-P

Isn't the dc-6 a 'fill in' for between major builds? PMDG have said a number of times that they really only build airplanes that are currently in service at most major airports. I can see them doing some sort of airbus. Surely with all the people wanting them too, it would be silly not to make one. They would sell so many it wouldn't be funny. Or they could be doing the 787... who knows.

My bet (and hope!) would be a full set of 747's in the 747 v2. I'm talking 747-400, 747SP (Still in service with IranAir, so it counts as an aircraft in use), 747-800 and then 747-100/200 (all 3 as expansion packs). They could even work with QualityWings for the 747-8, I've noticed some praise going between the two developers; someone from PMDG has been quoted before saying that PMDG wouldn't make a 757 anymore cause QW brought out a decent enough model. Add the fact that QW is working on a 787 to that, and they could perhaps do a collaboration to speed things up on the 747-800.

I don't think PMDG will do Airbus though, they're a Boeing licensed simulator developer (which is also why they never will be able to officially support Lockheed-Martin's Prepar3D), so doing an Airbus would be near impossible. The only things they could really still do with Boeing is a reworked 747 (the 747v2), a 767 and a 717. The existing 707, 727, 737, 757 and upcoming 777 and 787's are decent enough for PMDG to look elsewhere. Come to think of it, I'd like to see a realistic 717 too. Maddog may be, no, IS the most realistic MD-80 out there, but it's starting to show its age as well on some points.

As Ryan said before: Stop assuming that PMDG can't make anything else than Boeing planes, just because they have some connections there.

If they wanted to do an Airbus, and saw market potential for one, I bet they'd be all over it.

Also, the 747SP doesn't really count as "in use at most major airports", now does it?

I'd hate to make assumptions, but although I could understand that the... harmonious relationship with Boeing doesn't prevent them from making planes like the MD-11, or the DC-6 or even a Lockheed Constellation, I think even Boeing would be mildly preturbed if PMDG would forfeit their relationship to go and make Airbus planes, the main (and only big) rival they have on the commercial market at the moment. There has been market potential for Airbuses for a long time now, yet PMDG hasn't even begun to touch on it. 

And no, the 747SP isn't "in use at most major airports", but that's not what I said either. My point is that it's still in use, not that it's in all major airports in the world, thus making it more susceptible to being the first expansion pack for the 747v2 after the 747-8.

Even if the DC-6 is a 'fill-in' project, I would assume there will be more fill in projects in the future too. DC-3s, Convair twin series, Beech 18, Electra...etc btw those are all still in service too. :)

20091227-IMG_0435_6_7-2-L.jpg

I'd hate to make assumptions, but although I could understand that the... harmonious relationship with Boeing doesn't prevent them from making planes like the MD-11, or the DC-6 or even a Lockheed Constellation, I think even Boeing would be mildly preturbed if PMDG would forfeit their relationship to go and make Airbus planes, the main (and only big) rival they have on the commercial market at the moment. There has been market potential for Airbuses for a long time now, yet PMDG hasn't even begun to touch on it. 

And no, the 747SP isn't "in use at most major airports", but that's not what I said either. My point is that it's still in use, not that it's in all major airports in the world, thus making it more susceptible to being the first expansion pack for the 747v2 after the 747-8.

The 747-400 PMDG is making, and the 747 SP (a derivation from the classics) are entirely different beasts. If anything, they won't make it as an expansion pack, but as an entirely new plane. It just isn't an expansion to the planes they currently have lined up.

I also raised a second reason why PMDG hasn't already done an Airbus: they might just not want to do it. There have been some decent Airbuses in the line for quite some time now, so I think PMDG realizes they can just as well put their focus on something else. ( E-Jets, CRJs, ERJs, perhaps a Dash 8, who knows...)