Sign in to follow this  
oZZ

What about PMDG and classic aircraft

Hi all,

A Boeing 717 would be excellent from PMDG but this has been so far confirmed by PMDG as not a possibility with them, shame as living in Western Australia I have flown and seen these aircraft with QantasLink and it would be really good to be able to fly them in the simulator. But you never know PMDG may change their minds in the future.

I am following the TFDi design version at the moment, I wonder how that will turn out?

Peter Graves

Kalgoorlie, WA

If only the 777 was a fill-in between the Classics!

My dream would be a VC10!

-Iain Watson-

The 747-400 PMDG is making, and the 747 SP (a derivation from the classics) are entirely different beasts. If anything, they won't make it as an expansion pack, but as an entirely new plane. It just isn't an expansion to the planes they currently have lined up.

I also raised a second reason why PMDG hasn't already done an Airbus: they might just not want to do it. There have been some decent Airbuses in the line for quite some time now, so I think PMDG realizes they can just as well put their focus on something else. ( E-Jets, CRJs, ERJs, perhaps a Dash 8, who knows...)

The 747-4 and 747-8 are different beasts too, yet the 747-8 was given as a "cosmetic" expansion to the 747-4 v1. No one knows how PMDG is going to define their 747v2 pack ultimately; they could keep it at just the 747-4 or add the 747-8i (as per the latest news on the subject) or even go all out, take 10 years to develop this and then come out with a 747 Megapack. Heck, they could even do the 747-4 as base and then have a "Classic 747" expansion pack with all the classics. Unless you are 100% certain it's not an expansion and you can verify your sources, your guess is as good as anyone's. 

As far as Airbus is concerned, we're all still waiting for the first decent Airbus (for FSX/P3D). Testament to this is the fact that everyone is still scrambling the moment Aerosoft releases an update to the AXE, BBS is managing to make a lot of people pay for a "prologue" of an Airbus while promising their purchase will help perfect the plane along the line and people are even still waiting -on a 7 year old simulator- for FSLabs to make a decent A320 based on how excellent their Concorde proved to be. 

They could go for something else, sure; but I remain confident it'll either be something historical then (DC-6), something comparatively niche (MD-11, JS4100) or something that hasn't been done yet. There are already versions of all 4 things you mentioned that range from "on PMDG's level" (Majestic's Q400, minus the joyful bouncing around) to "decent enough for most simmers" (Wilco's E-Jets/ERJ's) or "on the way and very promising" (DigitalAviation -or so I think-  their rendition of the CRJ series). It's no truth, but it's an educated assumption.

I am following the TFDi design version at the moment, I wonder how that will turn out?

Hopefully well! Can't wait for a good 717.

Also looking forward to the DC-6, obviously

Sunaru (lacking a full name...):

I disagree, the 748 is a logical evolution, coming from the 744. Some features have been adopted from the 788 development, but not really that much. A lot of the systems logic is kept pretty much the same. It's just "the next step forward" in comparison to the 744.

The 744 is not an evolutionary step when looking at the 743 or 742. It really is a revolutionary step: Glass cockpit, no more Flight Engineer, different engine logic. (Note, I said engine logic, not just engines.)

The reason they included the -8 as a visual model only was, if I remember correctly: Lots of demand, but not that much known info about it. Now that the 748 is well established on the line, they can do a full model.

I was only giving examples as to what they could be doing, not what they should be doing after this. I'm pretty sure they have a decent roadmap set out.

And to be fair, I think the AXE is more than enough for a majority of the simmers out there. (Not for me either, but I digress.)

The 747-8i is the new overhaul of the 744, and could thusly be seen as the "modern age revolution" what with the new partial fly-by-wire technology, reworked wing design, and other implemented advances of this day and age. In any case, this is all guesswork. PMDG is the only one that knows PMDG's road map and the only one that can decide/reveal changes to it. You and I can keep going back and forth about this until we're both more than fed up, but it won't change the fact we'd be making educated assumptions. I've said what I wanted to say with regards to the original poster's question (my hope is for a "classic 747" series), and I'm going to leave it at this.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a 747 Classic series too, but I don't see PMDG doing one, sadly. It would be an ideal chance for me to do some old Long Range Sabena routes.

But you have to agree, the -8i is far less of a revolution than the 744 was. Things like FBW don't matter much in FSX, it's all FBW anyway.

Also, if I remember this correctly, the 748 is rigged to "feel" like a 744, to make conversion easier. The main change, FSX wise, would be the engine performance modeling I think.

I heard that they brought Milviz on for the VC moddeling, so I can assume it will be pretty awesome!

for FSLabs to make a decent A320 based on how excellent their Concorde proved to be. 

Yes nice Concorde, i'm flying it since 1 year but Concorde still need the SP3 who Fslab team promise ...

DC10 would be great, but not going to happen :-(. I'll be happy with the 777, 747 and 787 I guarantee we'll see at some point.

Callum

I would love a DC-10 as well but I guess one can keep dreaming. 

I know the forum is loaded with threads on the topic, but they are fun to read.

Many of us fly replicating real world aircraft and routes - so classic airplanes won't see the sales #'s that others do.

So I imagine PMDG has to balance development costs with realistic sales projections - which isn't easy because of their high standards ...

I would love 707/727/A-300/DC-10 etc..  But before I lay the credit card down, I'd really have to think about how often I would use them since I typically fly real-world routes.

I held off on the J4100 for that reason. I couldn't find a US airline that currently uses the aircraft. As much as I wanted it - I couldn't see myself using it more than a couple of times.

I bought the A2A 377 which is incredible, but I don't really know what to do with it. So it sits. I can't use it for VA flights and log hours with it. So just for fun I take it for an "airshow" curcuit - but very rarely.

I think the DC-6 will be the same. I might not buy it ... as much as I would want it justI for the sake of having it.

If PMDG needs some filler projects at low development cost - maybe the GA models could see some good sales #'s.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

Aren't those rules and restrictions that you place upon yourself?  There is nothing wrong with that at all, your FS world is yours to do with as you please.  But I don't think the Virtual FAA is going to take your license away because you want to fly an old airplane.   You aren't going to go to FS Jail if you fly a DC-6 painted in Jet Blue colors flying a route in South East Asia.  ^_^

If PMDG made cars for the Sims, Second Life and other such virtual life games, using the real world reasoning.  We should only virtually drive Priuses instead of 60s muscle cars because those would be chosen the for the same reasons real world airlines choose their airplanes(fuel economy/dollar per seat mile...etc)  Prius is a cool car but I've always wanted a 72 Mustang convertible.

If folks like rules and restrictions that's great, it will help you down the road if you want to pursue a career in aviation.   Anyone who has had to memorize the FAR/AIM to pass written/oral exams will tell you that there is no shortage of regulations in real world flying.  :lol:

On a silly side note, there are roughly about as many airworthy DC-6s as there 777-200LRs in service. 

I bought the A2A 377 which is incredible, but I don't really know what to do with it. So it sits. I can't use it for VA flights and log hours with it

You could just fly routes with it for fun, that's what I do with their civilian mustang.