I was looking over the X-Plane file library categories this evening and was disappointed to find that since 2002, only 102 aircraft models have been uploaded. Only three in the last three years. What can AVSIM do to increase the uploads of X-Plane add-on's and what can you do to help us? AVSIM is here for all flight simulation genres, not just MSFS. What do we as a community need to do to change the add-on situation around?

X-Plane has simply too much going for it to be ignored any more. People just cannot imagine the importance of Avsim's interest in this simulator.

Tom, the next time I upload anything for X-Plane, this will be the first place to get it.

thanks for supporting flight simulation,

X-Plane has simply too much going for it to be ignored any more. People just cannot imagine the importance of Avsim's interest in this simulator.

Tom, the next time I upload anything for X-Plane, this will be the first place to get it.

thanks for supporting flight simulation,

You are most certainly welcome Michel. We do try to support all simulators and and I hope we have shown that support over the many years.

I tried to upload my creations, but

1. I couldnt make heads or tails with the AVSIM uploader pages... Unusual Inetrface; not what I was expecting.

2. Somehow I could ony have 1 gigantic line of text to describe my file? No Formatting of description allowed? Just a gigantic text block with no CR/LF's? (see screenshot):

3. The Login isn't linked ot the main forum, (Secondary logins)... added another "barrier to entry" to anyone trying to push up a file. (Hrm, I have to register again? I thought I already was registered? Oh, and someone has "chris k", so I had to use a different name than on the forum)

4. I then had to make my own thumbnail? (GIF/PNG @ 150x150).

5. I have to use my real name. For everyone to see? Are you kidding me? On the public Internet? easily picked off by troll-bots lookign for names/email addresses? (I take great care in trying to keep my full name name out of text-indexible websites (Imagery is OK, it's not machine readable)

6. After much frustration in just trying to upload a single file, fighting with the text formatter, getting very confused with the order of operations it wants me to do things in:

"Yes I would like to make changes or upload a file".. Ok, Yes, I want to upload my scenery file.. sorry no.. this is so I can upload a file on this page? .."Ok, no I would not like to make changes - and move to the next section".. Hang on, Wait a sec - Yes, Yes I *DO* want to upload a file, (the final content), but when I click on the "yes I want to edit or upload a file", it just takes me back to the page I'm aready on.

.....I simply gave up.

SInce the majority of my files are already hosted by the .org, x-pilot, or my own servers; It simply put a damper on me maitaining another repository here after that experience.

Well, as promised i have uploaded a file to Avsim before any other site gets it. I hadn't done an upload to Avsim in several years, dating back to the time I was part of the original Project Airbus team with Trevor K and Thomas Ruth. Time flies!

Again, thanks Tom, for supporting flight simulation.

I have a number of nice repaints for the LES DC-3 and some paints for Carenado aircraft in X-plane. Currently they're hosted on the ORG (unfortunately) as well as the X-Pilot forums, but I would love to get them available for download on AVSIM. Bar none, AVSIM is the most venerable and important forum in the flight simulation community. I'm very excited and delighted to see the interest in bringing X-plane into the fold in a much greater way now. For a time it seemed that AVSIM was an uninviting Draconian fortress which only catered to Microsoft flight simulators and looked at X-plane with derision. I'm glad to see things have been changing for the better, despite a handful of people who incessantly dump on X-plane whenever they get the chance in almost every topic about X-plane.

As far as uploading files to AVSIM, I think the biggest hurdle, at least for me anyway, is the confusing interface for the downloads section. Not to be rude, but that part of the site seems a bit antiquated, and almost seems like a whole different website compared to the nice modern, intuitive AVSIM forum in general. I have a hard time even finding certain downloads, that alone uploading my own files.

I think the nicest download section for X-plane files right now, is the one for X-Pilot.com. However I notice by a quick perusal of their forums, that they too only have a few hundred uploads, despite being a popular X-plane forum. For whatever reason, X-plane.org is still the undisputed king of X-plane forums. I find it to be an ugly website run by administrators who often behave unprofessionally and vindictively towards anyone who might even give a hint of criticism of the org itself or the products on the org store.

The key to getting more uploads and lively discussion topics for X-plane on AVSIM is to work on getting people from the org more active in the AVSIM community. Easier said then done it would seem.         

Hi guys.

If you ask me , there is nothing wrong with the Library.
It simply works perfect.

Just upped a few dozens of X-Plane-aircraft-skins last days myself.

Cheers

Leen "Flybike" de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Not to be rude, but that part of the site seems a bit antiquated, and almost seems like a whole different website compared to the nice modern, intuitive AVSIM forum in general. I have a hard time even finding certain downloads, that alone uploading my own files.

It is antiquated and something I and the team really want to do away with. We are awaiting the next version of this forum and it's various modules to implement a new library. If you want to have a view of what's possible, see the page that the most recent version of the FSX Hardware and Software Guide (click on link to the right). We attempted to modernize the library early in 2012 and due to a number of architectural issues, it was aborted. The new system will allow us to succeed in the upgrade to a modern library system.

For a time it seemed that AVSIM was an uninviting Draconian fortress which only catered to Microsoft flight simulators and looked at X-plane with derision. I'm glad to see things have been changing for the better, despite a handful of people who incessantly dump on X-plane whenever they get the chance in almost every topic about X-plane.

We've had X0-Plane library entries and forums for X-Plane since 2002 if my memory is still somewhat there. We have supported Austin and his team for a long time, and in fact, Austin actually attended our second FANCON held at the MAAM in Reading, PA in 2003. A former staff member (Cameron) runs the other most popular X-Plane site. I like to think that we trained him well. :lol:

5. I have to use my real name. For everyone to see? Are you kidding me? On the public Internet? easily picked off by troll-bots lookign for names/email addresses? (I take great care in trying to keep my full name name out of text-indexible websites (Imagery is OK, it's not machine readable)

For the record, since Tom didn't address this himself...

Your "real name" will never be seen by anyone other than the Library Administrators... B)

The Library and Forum have always had separate logins as they are completely independent systems. As Tom mentioned, an attempt at "modernizing" the Library was made some years ago (which among other things would have linked the two system to one login), but it just never worked quite as well as was initially hoped.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have no doubt that you and your team of administrators have worked diligently to create a forum for any and all things flight sim, with a strong effort towards inclusion no matter the platform, Tom. My point is that the flight sim community in general can sometimes be uninviting and insular. The flight sim population at large has often, and at length, cast dispersions on X-plane, despite the fact that X-plane has been a very good simulator for many versions, despite it's shortcomings or differences to MS Flight Simulator. 

I believe AVSIM to be the largest, most venerable forum within the flight sim universe. It wasn't the fault of the administrators, but the prevailing opinions of it's large user base that created what I believe to be an inaccessible atmosphere, but this has been changing for the better recently, in my opinion, and that was what my post was about.

Thank-you Tom Allenworth, and all who are involved with AVSIM, for creating and continuing a wonderful forum for flight sim enthusiast of all platforms, ages, and particular interests to meet and engage with one another.             

chris k, on 02 Jun 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

chris k, on 02 Jun 2013 - 11:29 AM, said:

. I have to use my real name. For everyone to see? Are you kidding me? On the public Internet? easily picked off by troll-bots lookign for names/email addresses? (I take great care in trying to keep my full name name out of text-indexible websites (Imagery is OK, it's not machine readable)

That surprises me Chris.

I know your full name, education ,occupation etc. etc. and the internet showed YOU with your full name on LinkedIN (and other (public**) pages) including the same portrait you use for your AVSIM profile.

That really does not make much sense,does it?

Being scared of giving your name at AVSIM , the same time going public as public can be on several other places on the same awfull internet, of wich you are so afraid of.

OK in fact thats not the issue.

Getting irritated and shouting things , we all do.

BUT I really admire your work and I think publishing it at AVSIM will help spreading it all over the globe in a significant way.

We would be very happy to host it.

Please give it another try (using my Upload-Manual will be beneficial).

Leen de Jager

Waalstraat 46

3131cs Vlaardingen

the Netherlands

telephone 4343913

tax and personal number: Whahahahahah there must be a limit Chris...... I agree.

My Visa? Are you kidding me?

Pages wich can be visited by everyone, without any password or IP -related membership.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

OK You removed your linkedIn-account ( you must have opened that account yourself once , as many many thousands of people did ) ,can we expect them all to become afraid of being hounted by the bots??

I really do not think so.

Whats more important , your full name, education, occupation etc are still on the internet.

Your LinkedIn account vanished , the other information still is there ( other sites like LinkedIn , uploads and screenshots for X-Plane wearing your real name on fora and libraries all over the world)

I am afraid , once on the internet means on the internetnet forever.

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints