Sign in to follow this  
phoenixphire

FTX Global Who is Gonna Buy!

They seem very reluctant to show vegetative and rural textures

I've seen loot of rural screenshots, some post above you'll see a link that I posted to one of these screenshot threads where they show some parts of Mount Everest. And there are many other threads that have rural screenshots..

Since I'm still Flying FSX Gold with no addons what so ever it will be my first purchase.

Probably not going to buy it even if the screenshots definitly look quite nice!

I am mostly into VFR flying and I just do not see a benefit from replacing one generic texture with another generic texture.

You'll replace one generic texture with another far superior texture that's the way I see it ^_^ . Photoreal doesn't cut it for me if there's no autogen and having all the world with phototextures and autogen would take the devs a decade to make(and the performance would might suffer too) so I'll be happy enchancing the whole world with plausible texture instead of having the old unreal ugly looking default textures...

Lately I have been preparing for FTXGlobal and installed a lot of landclass/mesh and other payware airports, so I've been flying around a lot in the default textures, Im starting to get sick of seing them as I'm used to the much better FTX textures I have in the their regions, and getting more autogen is a big pluss to because I think the default autogen is a little sparse even with max autogen settings, can hardly wait for FTX Global!...

Since I'm still Flying FSX Gold with no addons what so ever it will be my first purchase.

I would also recommend getting a landclass/mesh product like e.g UTX to have better coastlines rivers roads and geographical data, that will tell FTXGlobal where to put the textures in more correct locations than default.

It would be an absolutely insane task to do similar with photo scenery. Not to mention the filesize would be massive. Likely hundreds of GBs for quality imagery covering the globe (if that were even possible). I suspect FTX Global won't be too big of a download with initial release since they are only changing the landclass textures and autogen. Maybe only a few GBs. When they, as planned, start changing airfields, adding photoreal backgrounds to certain areas over time, the file size will definitely increase.

Aerosoft stated, the footprint filesize will be something like 8.5GB. Not bad for the amount of detail it apparently has covering the whole world, and it's OSM based, which is the technology boasted over in the X-Plane camp as the scenery of choice. Based on the default XP global scenery taking up 60GB, I wonder how much disk space XP would need to populate the whole world in OSM?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

BTW, is there any good payware landclass products for Asia and Africa?

Yes SceneryTech has land class for both Africa and Asia. 

I was really up to buying FTX Global until few days ago when they started posting Greece screenshots and videos. Autogen is awesome but ground textures are waaaay off, Greece never looked so green lol. I don't have a clue why they didn't just overhaul that desert like texture set that appear in Greece/Spain instead of paint the whole areas in lush green.

I agree the shots for Greece do look to green but you will be able to purchase an upgrade pack ad hopefully the product is supposed to be continually updated so maybe the area will be enhanced over time. The area did look better then the default. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Yes SceneryTech has land class for both Africa and Asia.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

All wait or just pass on it as photoreal is what prefer and add my own landmarks. All wait for reviews and see if it will cause scenery conflicts.

I agree. I use a combo of SimSavvy and MegaScenery but I like to fly to other parts of the world from the US. I would like to have something that improves other areas of the world and FTX does that. I love flying to ORBX Australia from the US so for me its a given. I would love for the entire world to be covered in photoscenery but we are a long way off from that. 

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I would love for the entire world to be covered in photoscenery but we are a long way off from that. 

Depends from what is the quality you need, there's always FSAltitude for some high altitude flying... Doesn't cover whole world of course, still most of Mexico, big parts of Caribbean, whole western Europe, Northern Africa and so...

I hope they would complete some more products soon enough.

I will have to take a look. If for example it adds value against UTX and GEX, which I have installed for outside of the ORBX area(s), then I will consider. It will just depend on what the value add is.

Bob

. If for example it adds value against UTX and GEX,

UTX will actually add things to FTX Global wich is only textures so they will be a perfect match, adding a lot more detail and tell FTXGlobal where to put the textures. But GEX will be useless as these products do exactly the same thing. As far as I can see GEX does not cover the whole world and do not look as good as global textures(my personal meaning, others might not think so). So I think it will add great value to FSX combined with UTX or other landclass products.

So basicly FTXGlobal replaces GEX but with Global coverage so it adds a lot more than GEX.

UTX will actually add things to FTX Global wich is only textures so they will be a perfect match, adding a lot more detail and tell FTXGlobal where to put the textures. But GEX will be useless as these products do exactly the same thing. As far as I can see GEX does not cover the whole world and do not look as good as global textures(my personal meaning, others might not think so). So I think it will add great value to FSX combined with UTX or other landclass products.

So basicly FTXGlobal replaces GEX but with Global coverage so it adds a lot more than GEX.

Ahhh, thanks for that. I did not know you could use UTX with this product. Makes sense now about it just being a texture replacement. It sounds like there may be a considerable amount of UTX tweaking once the textures are released.

Thanks

Bob

I'll buy it. I mainly fly in Northern-Europe nowadays with the 737NGX so I lost my interest a little for FTX regions. I do however love to see FTX-like quality all over Europe so I will definitely get it. I do own FTX England but I don't have it installed right now and I don't know if I will install it: also doubt if I well buy anymore regions. I like my installment as clean as possible and only having to use one scenery addon sounds good to me. I will probably also get OpenLC and use that instead of UTX (which I also don't have installed anymore). I never liked the looks of GEX and never got around to buying it. WIth FTX Global I sort of know what to expect and I like it, so... I'll buy it! Looking forward to flying above for instance Norway with FTX textures!

It sounds like there may be a considerable amount of UTX tweaking once the textures are released.

Thanks

Bob

No, not at all. UTX has nothing to do with the textures other then replacing some of them with the included UTX landclass. It isn't however a dedicated landclass addon so most people use other landclass to work with UTX. UTX mainly adds roads and waters and the FTX Global textures will be used without having to tweak anything. Just like you don't have to tweak the default FSX textures in order to use them with UTX.

I will probably also get OpenLC and use that instead of UTX (which I also don't have installed anymore).

I'm not sure OpenLC will give you roads and coastlines, as it is a land class product. Land class typically just defines the tupe of terrain and what is it's use, urban, rural, residentual, ore commercial etc. UTX will still be needed for accurate roads, coastlines. Orbx showed some samples of the difference using FTX Global with and without, and the scenery when compared with Google Earth, looked more accurate, with UTX.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I'll buy it. I like the fact that I can go from FTX region to region and keep the improved landclass without having to shut down and change FTX settings. I also like being able to leave an Orbx region and still have improved topography. Maybe I'll even purchase it day 1 if I'm around. 

good flights, Cal

It sounds like there may be a considerable amount of UTX tweaking once the textures are released.

I think the only thing you will need to disable is the night lightning as FTXGlobal will have it's own lights, and maybe the road grids in cities to make the textures look better with not too much roads going over them.

I'll buy it! Looking forward to flying above for instance Norway with FTX textures!

Make sure youll get the great freeware NGX_II, Airports of Norway and Norway Mesh for Fs9(works flawlessly with FSX and is recommended to use with NGX_II), it will give you more correct landlass for Norway and correct shorelines and mesh, you'll also need some files from the old Norway Scenic X, the manual explains it all, although in Norwegian but google translate could help you with that. And its also compitable with UTX the manual also explains how. Put FTXGlobal textures on top of this and you'll have something that almost will look as good as a full fledged Orbx region B)

The reason Im recommending using Norway freeware landclass scenery is because UTX does not do Norway very well, must be one of the areas they neglected when making it. And there isn't any other good landclass, and mesh available for Norway... NGX_II will fit as a glove with FTX global:)...

I cant really understand why you will not use UTX for Europe when you already have it, Isnt it the best all in all landclass product you can get for Europe?