Sign in to follow this  
uhntissbaby111

Is the 680 worth the price over the 660?

I would like some help on deciding whether to get a 660 or 680 for my next rig. I was going to get a GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3gb card for 340, but am considering going to a 680. However the 680s jump up in price to around 500-550, and am having a hard time justifying the extra price. Is the 680 really worth the extra 200, or should i just stick with the 660. For what its worth, this rig will only be for FSX. thanks

adam

From what I have read the 660 is the sweet spot for FSX but I have not tried it. FSX is processor run so a bigger GPU does not make much difference. I run a GTX670 4gb but that's just because I have three 22 inch screens running 5040x1050. Along with my overclocked Ivybridge i5 runs the NGX smooth with high settings.

I don't expect any real gain apart from maybe super highres over multiple monitors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Ok, since I will only be running one monitor, I think I'll just save the money and stick with the 660. Thank you for the help

You shouldn't see a big gain at all. In fact you'll see no difference without high AA settings.

Why not get the new GTX 700 series cards? 760Ti should be out soon and the 780 is out already.

Usually I don't recommend buying older generations, as their prices will usually increase as soon as the new generation gets released. This is because supply drops and therefore the price rises. Also, you'll be left with a lot less value for the price.

The GTX680 is being rebranded as the GTX770, and will likely get a price bump too, it'll be the exact same card, just with a GTX770 sticker on it.

The GTX670 is being rebranded to a GTX760Ti, same as the above, same cards, stickers over the top to make them look new, also with probable price bump.

Mo45

The 192 bit memory interface of the 660 can be a bottleneck @ high resolutions,especially with an proc. speed of 4.6 to 4.8.

The 660TI is fine in a single monitor setup. Just food for thought, the 670FTW shares the same architecture with the 680 and is only slightly slower at a $100 less.