Sign in to follow this  
bukeyolacan

Help with 737 visual approach

Why not just disconnect the autopilot completely and hand fly the aircraft towards the runway? 

At least I see there are a couple of people here happy to help the bloke.

Definitely the pmdg forums.

I need some help with visual approach using PMDG 737. I always use ILS autolanding so I have no knowledge about manual landing. In some airports like Skiathos, there is no ILS so I have to land it manually. I programmed the FMC till the runways with NDB approach. It descends until 2000 feet but doesn't line up with runway. LNAV finishes around 10nm to the runway so I had to manually turn the plane aligning the plane and descend manually. Can someone explain the steps for it? Thanks

The problem is with your original statement. It gives the impression to many that you do not know how to land an aircraft in the simulator, whatever the plane may be.

Before you even attempt the levels of automation that Autoland, autothrust and so on offer, you should know how the plane handles, be it at low speed, with or without flaps, gear up, gear down, and so on. Perhaps you should complete the tutorial flights that are supplied with the aircraft.

If you have no idea as to how the aircraft handles in the simulation when handflying and controlling the thrust manually, then it is going to be difficult for anyone to provide much help. Potential helpers need to understand what your knowledge of flying in the sim actually is, before they can start talking you through procedural stuff...

Perhaps you should clarify your situation and knowledge a little more...

It appears you have tried to run a long time before you even attempt to walk.

A

At least I see there are a couple of people here happy to help the bloke.

Definitely the pmdg forums.

I see some nasty pathetic 14 year old wannabes who believe they know it all, but don't. They lack the knowall and goodwill to offer true advice, preferring rather to try and gain some sort of childish and pathetic "one up manship" in order to make themselves feel better in their own self serving "belief" that they can fly an aircraft on their computer.

Bring back the good old days when enthusiasts wanted to help each other rather than go out of their way to put each other down. It is that first reply that has finally convinced me that this hobby is going downhill and I really do miss the good old fs days when kids were not allowed near their dads compuserve connection.

Banned probably now ... but who gives a monkeys when you see such a childish reply to a sensible OP question. Rant off.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Agreed.

I too remember those days. Oh they seem so long ago.

Now it's certainly ego driven with a dash of impatience.

We all started somewhere.

Agreed.

I too remember those days. Oh they seem so long ago.

Now it's certainly ego driven with a dash of impatience.

We all started somewhere.

Hahaha. As my wife just said (and she is only 43) "In those days, Compuserve was so expensive for international connections, it kept the riff raff away". Cheeky ###### .... or is she?

Hahaha. My humour has returned, but there again some cultures dont understand humour. God I miss the old days !

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

It is that first reply that has finally convinced me that this hobby is going downhill and I really do miss the good old fs days when kids were not allowed near their dads compuserve connection.

What's wrong with the first reply? He wasn't being rude or anything, he genuinely thought that OP meant he only knows how to do landings with autopilot and doesn't know how to hand fly the aircraft, and in that case practicing hand flying is the only solution.

Original post doesn't really explain what's his problem with doing visual approach so it's easy to misunderstand it and think that OP simply has never learned to land the aircraft without help of autopilot.

I understand how to fly it but I don't know how to land without autopilot.

See also this post, it doesn't explain if OP doesn't know how to control the aircraft without autopilot or if he simply doesn't know how to do a visual approach with real world procedures, I guess OP meant the latter.

I think the only childish replies in this thread were made by ANZ121 and Hirdy2013, spreading hate when those who replied simply didn't get what OP meant with having a problem doing a visual approach.

If someone has always done all the landings with autopilot and then asks how to do a visual landing with manual control it's perfectly appropriate to tell that person to practice manual flying, that's the only way one can learn landing manually. Apparently in case of OP manual flying wasn't the problem but procedures related to real world style visual approach or something...

Thanks Michael for your reply. I was expecting an answer like this but some people likes to not helping.

No worries. Just wanna help out a fellow simmer  :smile:

Don't worry about some of the others, you're asking for advice so they shouldn't shoot you down like that. If you're turning off the autopilot 10nm from the runway and hand-flying the plane to land then that's kinda the basic principle of a visual approach. I used to do the same when I was still learning, even before I got the NGX and still flying the default 737NG.

If you've done the first tutorial flight it will only teach you the basic procedures including ILS approach with autoland, which is still good as you'll actually know how to fly the plane on a basic level. I'd also recommend doing the second tutorial which involves a rather complex approach in LOWI where you'll have to track a localiser down to a certain point then do a circle-to-land visual approach. Quite challenging, but if you follow it precisely you'll learn a lot from it.

All this talk makes me wanna fly the NGX now!

What's wrong with the first reply? He wasn't being rude or anything, he genuinely thought that OP meant he only knows how to do landings with autopilot and doesn't know how to hand fly the aircraft, and in that case practicing hand flying is the only solution.

Original post doesn't really explain what's his problem with doing visual approach so it's easy to misunderstand it and think that OP simply has never learned to land the aircraft without help of autopilot.

See also this post, it doesn't explain if OP doesn't know how to control the aircraft without autopilot or if he simply doesn't know how to do a visual approach with real world procedures, I guess OP meant the latter.

I think the only childish replies in this thread were made by ANZ121 and Hirdy2013, spreading hate when those who replied simply didn't get what OP meant with having a problem doing a visual approach.

If someone has always done all the landings with autopilot and then asks how to do a visual landing with manual control it's perfectly appropriate to tell that person to practice manual flying, that's the only way one can learn landing manually. Apparently in case of OP manual flying wasn't the problem but procedures related to real world style visual approach or something...

Spreading hate hey. Well thought out genius.

You could practice by intercepting the ILS and landing with no autopilot. Save a flight where your 15 miles out or so and at a angle to the ILS and keep practicing until you can hand fly the ILS. Then take away the ILS and just do it using the VASI and eyeballing it.

I don't think you need to go back to a Cessna, unlike real life where you need to build hours and have all kinds of endorsements to even considered to be allowed in the cockpit of a 737 here you can just practice with it and if you crash so what...

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

My question is already been answered but this thread turned out to something different.

Forums always go that way.

Redbeard

I mainly agree with FSCamp, although I would most likely have skipped the part about anyone spreading hate. While some of our answers (including mine, I admit) may not seem helpful at the first glance, they are well meant, because the OP said that he doesn't know how to manually land an aircraft. Even if this is only a simulation (a "game", if you will), I think taking off and landing are such basic things that one should have a clue of before starting to fly airliners.
Besides, the only answer that would really not be helpful would be "Wait until you run out of fuel", IMO.

You could practice by intercepting the ILS and landing with no autopilot.

That's actually a great advice, I'd even say that you should at first do a complete autoland, in order to see what it should look like when you're doing it manually. As a second step, switch the AP off, and use the ILS indicators only as a hint whether your position is correct or not, in order to make the necessary adjustments. The third step would then be to leave even that out.
In this case I'd also recommend the tool "Lord of the Landing", which can be downloaded from the library. (I'm not sure if it works with complex addons like the NGX, though).

I don't think you need to go back to a Cessna, unlike real life where you need to build hours and have all kinds of endorsements to even considered to be allowed in the cockpit of a 737 here you can just practice with it and if you crash so what...

Under that point of view, you're right, but as I said before, the slower the plane the easier it is, because you have more time to react and focus on what's important, so maybe the Cessna could be helpful.

Spreading hate hey. Well thought out genius.

Sure man, though maybe simply "having a bad attitude" fits better. Maybe try offer some advice now instead of complaining about other completely appropriate posts that actually try to offer advice?