Sign in to follow this  
PhilH

Any SSD recommendations?

Hi,

Now that I've got my CPU set up and good enough for FSX, I'm considering my next small computer upgrade.

I was planning on going from 4GB to 8GB of RAM, but I just thought of something, wouldn't an SSD be a better upgrade? The weakest link in my machine is of course the video card, but I can't afford 250-300$ to get a new high performance one.

My specs are on the right. Basically, I plan on only installing Windows + FSX on my SSD. How big do you think I need? I do play other games but I think I will keep them on my current HD.

After a quick Newegg.ca search (I'm in Canada), would this be a good bet? 120GB, has a good rating: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147188

My C: partition holding Windows + a couple of essentials is currently at 40GB full / 70. I suppose 120GB of SSD would be enough for Windows & FSX. I have a few addons but I'm not an addon maniac. My FSX folder is currently 28GB.

Does anyone know the best cost-effective solution?

Thanks!

Phil

Keep your OS on the harddrive, and move the entire FSX folder to the SSD.

No OS re-install and lots of space..

That is what I've done, and yes, the Samsung 840 is a great choice.

Bert

Okay, but I thought the SSD would really help Windows in terms of speed? I have an imaging software and it's apparently possible to image my C: partition and copy it to the SSD.

I recently reinstalled my entire OS though, so I would indeed prefer not doing that again considering I'm almost done re-installing all of my programs.

Thanks for the advice and yes I will consider that drive.

I would invest in additional RAM. Although FSX can only utilize 4Gb of RAM, when only 4Gb in total available, the total amount of memory available to FSX will be 4Gb minus whatever Windows and your background applications use. My guess is only 3Gb or less remains for FSX.

When upgrading to 8Gb, FSX can be allocated the full 4Gb available for 32bit programs.

Mind you; a SSD will not increase your framerate in any way. It will reduce your loading times, but don't expect miracles.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

After all, RAM might be the best upgrade. I mean, I don't really have a problem with loading times. I find this machine to be lightining fast compared to my older IDE machine. Some newer games recommend 6 to 8Gb of RAM, so I'm starting to fall behind.

Now, I have 4GBs of RAM. I can either purchase the same kit, going up to 8GB total, or, I can buy a 2x4GB kit to go up to 12GB. 

I'm thinking 8GB vs 12GB won't change much, and I'm better off buying the same kit again to prevent mix-matching errors. Am-I right? I would end up with 8GB total this way.

Thanks!

The samsung 840 Pro SSD is highly recommend.

I have the 256GB one 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

It's always like that with computers isn't it! ^_^

5 months ago I was debating in between upgrading my CPU or my RAM.

Now it's RAM or SSD.

I bet I'll be back one day asking if I should change my GPU or something else.

It seems SSD is the best ''computer upgrade'' you can do these days. However, I see FSX and a few other games needing more and more RAM.

Considering that the SSD is more of a luxurious item, whereas the RAM would be a necessary upgrade eventually, I'm really not sure.

Yes, I would enjoy a faster PC even though it's already fast IMO. At the same time, I have run out of RAM on more than one occasion; FSX, a physics simulator program, a few games and also when opening large files.

The ''FREE SHIPPING'' for that drive on Newegg is pulling me towards it...

If you use lot of add ons I think you will need at least 256 GB, I use a SSD 128 GB just for windows, some other programs, and a SSD 256GB for FSX, external HD for installers. BEst SSD for me? OCZ first, corsair 2nd, samsung 3rd

fwerff, on 29 May 2013 - 12:27 AM, said:

I would invest in additional RAM. Although FSX can only utilize 4Gb of RAM, when only 4Gb in total available, the total amount of memory available to FSX will be 4Gb minus whatever Windows and your background applications use. My guess is only 3Gb or less remains for FSX.

When upgrading to 8Gb, FSX can be allocated the full 4Gb available for 32bit programs.

Mind you; a SSD will not increase your framerate in any way. It will reduce your loading times, but don't expect miracles.

For FSX, the additional RAM has no effect - for other programs, possibly.

"Running out of memory" with FSX has nothing to do with the amount of RAM installed.

It has to do with address space limitations..

The "full 4 GB" will be allocated whether you have 4 or 8 GB of RAM.

Bert

That can't be true??

Windows itself will also use memory. Antivirus, defrag software, etc. all use memory.

And what to think of stuff like a weather program like AS2012 or chart software or anything.

If you only have 4Gb, a single program can never be allocated the full 4Gb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Windows will map the address space onto the actual RAM - if you end up using more RAM than what is installed,

Windows will use the paging file to fit it in.

Lots of RAM is a good thing, but for FSX, 4 GB will do the job just fine..

Bert

Ah, I didn't think of the page file. But it will slow down the system some I guess.

All things considered, I still think expansion of RAM is preferred above an SSD in this case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Keep your OS on the harddrive, and move the entire FSX folder to the SSD.

Is it not important to have the OS on the fastest drive ?

I have an SSD for each of the following, Win7, FS9, FSX, P3D, XP10.  I use a regular drive as a file repository.  I would not have it any other way, it's awesome.

Is it not important to have the OS on the fastest drive ?

I guess that depends on what you are trying to make go faster...

Personally, I want to give FSX everything it needs to run well, and am less concerned about Windows performance.

Having said that, if Windows hickups, it can bring the whole system, FSX included, to a standstill..

Bert