Sign in to follow this  
Ed Straker

Advice on 1st installation of FSX Gold

I have just purchased FSX Gold and wish to install it for the very first time on my pc.

Whilst I am sure this won't cause me too many headaches,would the community advise any tips before I set about the installation.I read somewhere it's best to install as 'admin',is this true?

If it helps,I am running my pc with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,i7-920 processor,quad core,GTX 580 1.5 GB graphics card,6 GB RAM,1 TB SATA 7200 RPM hardrive.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated,thank you.

Very first advice (start with 'REINSTALL'):

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Your system looks capable.

Yes, I'd install (and run, each and every time!) everything related to FSX - that includes all addons - as administrator.

You should add the line

HIGHMEMFIX=1

to the [graphics] section of your fsx.cfg. (You're a wizard already if you can find the location on your own!).

Have a look at the AVSIM FSX hardware and software guide (but don't get intimidated by it!) and try the UIAutomationcore.dll fix (page 15 or close to that).

These are the big points, IMO. Feel free to ask some more (or even some more specific).

BTW: Welcome to the forum, Ed!!!

Edited by olli4740

Ditto on what Ollie said.  I followed the PMDG guide to a T and had no issues whatsoever.  Just don't get in a hurry is one of the main keys.  Also be sure to start up FSX prior to installing Acceleration from the 2nd DVD.  With that big 1TB drive, hopefully you have a nice chunk of space on a partitioned section for FSX that's separate from where Windows 7 is at on the C drive.

Chris Sunseri

Thanks very much guys,I can't tell you how much I appreciate your kind help,it's nice to be in safe hands.

Very first advice (start with 'REINSTALL'):

http://support.precisionmanuals.com/KB/a87/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-fsx.aspx

Your system looks capable.

Yes, I'd install (and run, each and every time!) everything related to FSX - that includes all addons - as administrator.

You should add the line

HIGHMEMFIX=1

to the [graphics] section of your fsx.cfg. (You're a wizard already if you can find the location on your own!).

Have a look at the AVSIM FSX hardware and software guide (but don't get intimidated by it!) and try the UIAutomationcore.dll fix (page 15 or close to that).

These are the big points, IMO. Feel free to ask some more (or even some more specific).

BTW: Welcome to the forum, Ed!!!

Hi Ollie,

Re adding the line 'HIGHMEMFIX=1',is that in the 'display.cfg'file?,I cant see a 'fsx.cfg' file in the main root folder.

Regards

Ed

IMPORTANT - we do NOT recommended installing to the default file location in Windows Vista or Windows 7. (Program Files or Program Files (x86)) - Windows "protects" anything within these folders and has been shown to cause numerous problems with the install and configuration of addons.  We recommend you pick a simple folder path outside of these folders such as C:\FSX

Hi Ollie,

Re adding the line 'HIGHMEMFIX=1',is that in the 'display.cfg'file?,I cant see a 'fsx.cfg' file in the main root folder.

Regards

Ed

That's why I made my 'wizard' remark, lol ... In W7 installations:

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "Hangar Chat" to "MS FSX Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.