Sign in to follow this  
bus320

Adding an APU sound to an fs 9 aircraft

Dear All,

I've recently added a new sound pack to my PA 319/320, however unfortunately before and after shutdown, the APU sound is missing. I have found a single file of the apu over the internet (to be used with any fs9 aircraft), however I don't have any idea of how to interact this new sound along with the sound pack. ( as the instructions are in russian)

Does anyone out there knows how to sort of install any sounds and also to edit the sound.cfg?!

Thanks

BUS320 

Dear All,

I've recently added a new sound pack to my PA 319/320, however unfortunately before and after shutdown, the APU sound is missing. I have found a single file of the apu over the internet (to be used with any fs9 aircraft), however I don't have any idea of how to interact this new sound along with the sound pack. ( as the instructions are in russian)

Does anyone out there knows how to sort of install any sounds and also to edit the sound.cfg?!

Thanks

BUS320 

Unfortunately FS9 does not have a 'default' APU, so it is not possible to have an APU sound linked to the normal sound.cfg.

If the PA developer has included an APU simulation, you could ask them to include a sound for it? If you know your way around coding XML gauges, there is a nice add-on available from Doug Dawson that lets you control sounds with XML variables (this is how the APU sound works in my own setup).

Link: http://www.douglassdawson.ca/

dsd_fsx_xml_sound, v4.3.3, February 10,2013 - actually this is also good for FS9, despite the name!

Cheers,

Geoff

I know that internal (viewpoint 1) APU/pack type sounds can be played by adding the GYRO_SOUND or BOMB_SOUND categories in the sound.cfg. The entries under these titles would look like any other miscellaneous sound in the sound.cfg so you could use any one of them as a guide. However these don't play externally (viewpoint 2)

What I did once a loooong time ago was to download an existing freeware soundset with external apu sounds to see how the author linked it to engine sounds. It was tedious but I did manage to reproduce the effect in other soundsets. Drawback with this method is you don't hear it until after engine start/shutdown. Unfortunately I don't recall exactly how it's done.

Hope this helps guide you - stopped all that tweaking years ago in favor of high end payware with gauge and/or xml driven sound effects - makes life much easier leaving it to experts.  :P

Regards,

Mark