Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Help!! FS2002 won't start up.

Guest FlyGirl

I was using FS2002 and it was working just fine. While I was selecting a new flight I got the blue screen saying that there was an error and so Windows shut down. That has happened a couple times before and i just restarted the computer and FS2002 started up again like normal. However, this time, FS2002 will not start. It freezes at the opening screen. When I look at the task manager it says that FS2002 is "not responding." What should I do? If i uninstall and re-install FS2002 will I lose any scenery that I have imported and the flights that I have created and saved?Thank you in advance

Guest daveg4otu

Don't know your OS but you could try a system restore tho this may not help.If you decide to reinstall first copy the entire FS folder to somewhere else on the PC ( another HDD or Partition if you can if not make a Folder called "anything you like"and copy the FS folder into it).Uninstall the original FS remove any registry entries remaining and so on-- can't remember with FS2002 but somewhere( My documents possibly- sorry been on FS2004 for a while now) it keeps your saved flights and flight plans- you can copy those as well before the uninstall.Reinstall- make sure everything works OK . Then replace your Addon scenery by copying the original addon scenery folder from the old FS2002 to the new-update the scenery library , same with any addon aircraft/gauges/effects/textures etc - checking from time to time that all is OK.If problems arise you can then backtrack.Finally when everything else is back and running - place your saved "saved flights" back where they should be- check everything out one more time - then simply delete the old FS2002.It is IMHO better always to keep your addon scenery outside FS- saves a lot of hassle when problems arise.Dave

Rename your fs2002.cfg to fs2002.OLD, restart fs2002 and see if the problem is corrected. If so, delete fs2002.OLD and reset your preferences. If it doesn't correct the problem, delete the new fs2002.cfg and rename fs2002.OLD to fs2002.cfg.If the above doesn't correct your problem, then you may have other flight simulator or computer problems. Did you install any new addons, aircraft or scenery prior to the CTD? If so, remove the addons, restart and see if the problem is corrected.Run the directx diagnostic, press Start, Run..., type dxdiag, OK. Let the diagnostic stabilize, ensure you are using DirectX9.0b or 9.0c. Select the Display tab, ensure DirectDraw, Direct3D, and AGP Accelerations are enabled. If grayed-out, install or reinstall the motherboard controller chip drivers, i.e., Intel, VIA, SiS, AMD, ALi, NForce. Run the DirectDraw and Direct3D tests and note any errors.W. Sieffert

Guest FlyGirl

W Sieffert;Deleting the fs2002.cfg file worked!!! Thank you so much for your help! Since you clearly have very impressive knowledge of fs may I ask you another question? When I set a crosswind it only blows in a small range (vertically) from the altitude that I set it at; maybe 50 feet at the most. Is there a way to make it blow for, say, 200 or 300 feet above and below the altitude that I set? I use the "Surface Wind" option and set to blow at about 55* from my direction of travel. I don't like the "winds aloft" option because it makes you balloon up too much.Warmest regards;Christine

Hi Christine,I assume you have tried making a layer with the exact crosswinds condition set in the surface layer.I don't usually play around with the winds, except when I am trying different aerodynamic changes, then I set the system to a Standard Day.W. Sieffert