Sign in to follow this  
Sky Trail

Help with manual Star with ILS approach

Hey Simmers,

I need a little help, as much as i want to do a complete flight from the ground up, time constraints dont let me ;(.

I could use a little help to my dilemma, I basically want to fly an approach using STAR, i want to just slew the aircraft to any point near an airport, select the correct runway, load the STAR in the FMC including ILS and fly manually. I fly all the best out there, PMDG 747,md1  NGX, JS41. i did try myself in the 747, i got program error when i try to select the STar.

Please help

Thanks in advance,

Thejus Mathew 

How about an 'educated traffic pattern'?

I fly those to test my aircraft or to explore a new addon airport/surrounding scenery:

- Make 'the' airport your departure   a n d   your destination airport.

- Choose the runways.

- Program a direct to your STAR transition (or a SID with a transition/STAR following immediately)

- Enter some appropriate FL and CI.

- You're done!

This avoids slewing and the issues created by it.

The 744 gets a bit weird in certain situations. For example, when I forget to hit the APPR button and configure for landing (it happens) it takes some coaxing to set up a new arrival.

Try setting up the route in the FMC (eg. CYYZ to CYYZ) while still on the ground, then slew to the STAR starting point. If that doesn't work then perform a simple takeoff (On a taxiway or grass or whatever) clean up, then slew.

Good luck!

Rashid Yacine

How about an 'educated traffic pattern'?

I fly those to test my aircraft or to explore a new addon airport/surrounding scenery:

- Make 'the' airport your departure   a n d   your destination airport.

- Choose the runways.

- Program a direct to your STAR transition (or a SID with a transition/STAR following immediately)

- Enter some appropriate FL and CI.

- You're done!

This avoids slewing and the issues created by it.

Thanks i am going to try your way now, any recommendations on altitude?

As a rule of thumb I use 15k for about MSL airports and 20k in mountainous areas.

Thanks a lot guys, it works ! My runway was to the left on ils autoland. I guess my afcads are out of date. I know somebody did an update for the fsx, can you post me that link? Plz

You should line up with the runway anyway, since ILS uses raw data, not 'canned' navdata.

Magnetic variations updates are available from a pinned thread in the PMDG general forum, but in your case chances are, your ILS simply has an offset.

Don't know which aircraft you were using. In case you "drove" PMDG you may want to re-register the FSX install path with the Win registry (use one of those famous registry fix tools from ORBX or Flight1). PMDG aircraft lose their ILS lineup ability when this entry is corrupted - which happens quite frequently for reasons unknown to me, lol!

You should line up with the runway anyway, since ILS uses raw data, not 'canned' navdata.

Magnetic variations updates are available from a pinned thread in the PMDG general forum, but in your case chances are, your ILS simply has an offset.

Don't know which aircraft you were using. In case you "drove" PMDG you may want to re-register the FSX install path with the Win registry (use one of those famous registry fix tools from ORBX or Flight1). PMDG aircraft lose their ILS lineup ability when this entry is corrupted - which happens quite frequently for reasons unknown to me, lol!

Thanks a million for your help, i will try the fixes and report back tomorrow, times up for today ;( . i was flying the pMDG 747, i did notice the ILS bars not lining up. i just let it go to see if the aircraft will line up afterall. i think i have the flight 1 reg fix. i will try it. thanks.

Thejus Mathew